• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

trakanon

Contributor
I don't know for certain if I will get selected, my appraisal did not go so smoothly. I am however a patient boy, I know I could do better next year. The dilemma I have is that I'm approaching the standard age limit and whether I should try the reserve route 2nd time around or give OCS a shot. I have been on this journey so long I think this is what I want to do for the next 20 years.

Even if I did get selected I wonder how much of an impact would make as a reservist.

GCJ8404

Not to burst your bubble, but, little, if any...
That "may" be true, but if a reservist is mobilized (which apparently happens) and spends 7-8mos overseas I'm sure there is some impact. I just want the opportunity to serve and provide a high skill set to the Navy. The level of utilization and/or impact will be more than if I had not chose to join.

jzz001

Hey everyone, quick question. In my civilian federal job, I'm just about to go on a nine-month detail assignment to another government agency. If I do get selected, how much of a say do I have over my ODS dates? Would it be possible to negotiate with them to go to ODS after my detail assignment ends, or, in other words, close to a year after I initially get commissioned? Thanks so much for any advice you might be able to provide.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
That "may" be true, but if a reservist is mobilized (which apparently happens) and spends 7-8mos overseas I'm sure there is some impact. I just want the opportunity to serve and provide a high skill set to the Navy. The level of utilization and/or impact will be more than if I had not chose to join.
I would focus on serving, which is honestly, very commendable.

For the other stuff (i.e., providing a skillset to the Navy and having an impact), I would set your expectation meter to zero and take it day by day. This way you will neither be disappointed nor satisfied. I've seen too many folks come in and become disappointed because their expectations were set far too high.

number9

Contributor
Hey everyone, quick question. In my civilian federal job, I'm just about to go on a nine-month detail assignment to another government agency. If I do get selected, how much of a say do I have over my ODS dates? Would it be possible to negotiate with them to go to ODS after my detail assignment ends, or, in other words, close to a year after I initially get commissioned? Thanks so much for any advice you might be able to provide.
From my previous conversations with those here who have actually gone through DCO, it sounds very much like a "it's up to you to decide when you do it and when to schedule it". I think a year between board selection and attending DCO is not unheard of?

TheClyde

From my previous conversations with those here who have actually gone through DCO, it sounds very much like a "it's up to you to decide when you do it and when to schedule it". I think a year between board selection and attending DCO is not unheard of?
Timing sounds right. However, it's not DCO, its ODS (Officer Development School)

GCJ8404

For the other stuff (i.e., providing a skillset to the Navy and having an impact), I would set your expectation meter to zero and take it day by day. This way you will neither be disappointed nor satisfied. I've seen too many folks come in and become disappointed because their expectations were set far too high.
Agreed...and "IF" I get selected, I will approach my service with those expectations in mind. Thanks

fy18dco

10000% this. the navy doesn't care what special "skillset" you bring in. attend the trainings you are required to attend, get qualified, go mobilize and do your navy job. there is no giant impact to be had as an 1835 mob'd to bahrain making slide decks on a daily basis.

also don't pull the "well in my civilian job, we do it this way". guaranteed bad day.

GCJ8404

10000% this. the navy doesn't care what special "skillset" you bring in. attend the trainings you are required to attend, get qualified, go mobilize and do your navy job. there is no giant impact to be had as an 1835 mob'd to bahrain making slide decks on a daily basis.

also don't pull the "well in my civilian job, we do it this way". guaranteed bad day.
Got it...I'm 1825 (not that it makes a big difference). I'm fine with whatever I'm instructed to do, but my thought would be they selected me for a reason. Why else would they give consideration to ones schooling, GPA, experience in the skillset, certifications, etc.?

fy18dco

Got it...I'm 1825 (not that it makes a big difference). I'm fine with whatever I'm instructed to do, but my thought would be they selected me for a reason. Why else would they give consideration to ones schooling, GPA, experience in the skillset, certifications, etc.?

Because it is a highly competitive program and they only want to take the highest skilled and most educated people as possible...to ensure they can do the Navy job that the Navy must train them to do. Not because the Navy (and even more specifically/ironically the Reserve) is interested in learning some best practices BS from the private sector...

21 year olds out of ROTC/Academy/OCS will go to the same IP training and do the same IP job as you (when you're on active duty), hard stop.

There is a need for extremely qualified people to come in as IPs to fulfill a requirement for IPs in the Reserve (to support the active component...yes those same 21 year olds with no certs, higher degrees, etc.)

It's a manpower (numbers) game. It's not to leverage civilian experience or whatever to improve how IPs in the fleet operate. Since it's a numbers game, why not only take the highest GPA, best interviewing, most certificate/degree-having applicants? Gotta rank them some how.

number9

Contributor
Because it is a highly competitive program and they only want to take the highest skilled and most educated people as possible...to ensure they can do the Navy job that the Navy must train them to do. Not because the Navy (and even more specifically/ironically the Reserve) is interested in learning some best practices BS from the private sector...

21 year olds out of ROTC/Academy/OCS will go to the same IP training and do the same IP job as you (when you're on active duty), hard stop.

There is a need for extremely qualified people to come in as IPs to fulfill a requirement for IPs in the Reserve (to support the active component...yes those same 21 year olds with no certs, higher degrees, etc.)

It's a manpower (numbers) game. It's not to leverage civilian experience or whatever to improve how IPs in the fleet operate. Since it's a numbers game, why not only take the highest GPA, best interviewing, most certificate/degree-having applicants? Gotta rank them some how.
Do you find that, once trained [and pinned], extremely qualified people do a noticeably better job once they're in? Or does the lack of actual time doing the job (if they're not mobilized) act as a ceiling for how well they can perform?