• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

CarlosExcalibur

Contributor
Thanks Carlos....fingers crossed for both of us. What are your stats? Military and Educational?
Non-prior, 37, BSE in Computer Science – not so good GPA but good enough to qualify, MSE in General Engineering and an MBA. While I’m Security+ certified, the biggest hurdle I have is I haven’t done this type of work since 2011 but I have a lot of leadership experience which helps. I originally was trying to get in as an EDO but I wasn’t even able to submit a packet for that because I don’t think I was competitive there and also I don’t think there is a large need for people there like there is for IP. Back in April, my recruiter had someone he submitted picked up so he was really pushing me to switch and submit a packet to IP which I did. If I remember correctly (and don’t hold me to it) he said there was something like 25 applicants and they picked up either 10 or 11 from that group in the spring. He felt I had a better chance with 1825.

Last edited:

GCJ8404

Non-prior, 37, BSE in Computer Science – not so good GPA but good enough to qualify, MSE in General Engineering and an MBA. While I’m Security+ certified, the biggest hurdle I have is I haven’t done this type of work since 2011 but I have a lot of leadership experience which helps. I originally was trying to get in as an EDO but I wasn’t even able to submit a packet for that because I don’t think I was competitive there and also I don’t think there is a large need for people there like there is for IP. Back in April, my recruiter had someone he submitted picked up so he was really pushing me to switch and submit a packet to IP which I did. If I remember correctly (and don’t hold me to it) he said there was something like 25 applicants and they picked up either 10 or 11 from that group in the spring. He felt I had a better chance with 1825.
Carlos, the fact that you have the CompSci degree, an MS in eng. and an MBA makes you a very viable candidate in my opinion. You've got certs too which I hear is very agreeable to the Navy and IP teams especially. My OR told me that more people would be selected at this board than the one in March, so I think many of us going for IP have a great shot. Not to mention all the stuff going on in the world with Cyber. I'm a little worried due to my age (50), but I did get an age waiver from NRC, so we'll see what happens.

bryanteagle6

I'm 1825 (IP) and was hoping to hear some news this week....it's kinda' scary that there's no information coming from someone in the Navy (recruiters or otherwise) regarding kits/applications. Makes me want to throw my hands up in exasperation.

Sad to say but this is good training for when you actually join. You'll get to the point where you even stop throwing the hands up! You'll just be able to predict the issue/outcome that you "can't believe would happen"

GCJ8404

Sad to say but this is good training for when you actually join. You'll get to the point where you even stop throwing the hands up! You'll just be able to predict the issue/outcome that you "can't believe would happen"
Really? That's a scary proposition, considering I come from a corporate culture that is all about efficiency and CI/CD (continuous improvement/delivery). I was expecting the military would be very progressive and all about getting things done. Oh well....this is going to be more interesting than I thought.

TheClyde

Really? That's a scary proposition, considering I come from a corporate culture that is all about efficiency and CI/CD (continuous improvement/delivery). I was expecting the military would be very progressive and all about getting things done. Oh well....this is going to be more interesting than I thought.
Did you speak to many reservists with first hand experience before/during putting your package together?

GCJ8404

Did you speak to many reservists with first hand experience before/during putting your package together?
I spoke with a guy I met "WHILE" my package was already being submitted and he mentioned some slightly startling things regarding how the military operates. Either way, I get it....but I think a lot of non-priors have this misconception that the military operates at the highest levels of order and efficiency.

Squirrel Girl

Oh boy, you're in for a rude awakening. I work for the DoD and it can be so frustrating with all the inefficiencies, but it is also the most rewarding job and career.

TheClyde

The vibe I get (I am non-prior as well and probably would have agreed with you before starting my research and package) is that the application process is a microcosm of life in the Navy Reserve, not an aberration.

GCJ8404

The vibe I get (I am non-prior as well and probably would have agreed with you before starting my research and package) is that the application process is a microcosm of life in the Navy Reserve, not an aberration.
You make a great point sir! I thought the same thing during the entire labyrinthine process of my package, but pegged that to the accession process, and not the operational processes. Waiting with bated breath over here (1825-IP)