• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 22 IWC DCO Reserve Board

bobsmith456

DCO Selectee
Anyone know what the next steps are after signing the RRA? I signed that a couple weeks ago. Am I now just waiting on the final selection paperwork? Anyone else get their paperwork yet?
dco: (a) The appropriate director signs the select letter. (b) The NAVCRUITCOM processor receives the signed select letter via PRIDE MOD II, notifies the NAVCRUITDIST/NAVTALACQGRU of selection, and requests COMDOCs from PERS-8. (c) NAVCRUITDIST/NAVTALACQGRU receives COMDOCs; commissions selectee per COMDOCs and MILPERSMAN article 1100- 030. Copy of the oath and program service agreement is uploaded into PRIDE MOD II. (d) NAVCRUITCOM processors review the signed oath and program service agreement for accuracy and forward the signed oath, program service agreement, Ready Reserve Transfer Request Service Agreement (NAVPERS 1200/1), and prior service documentation (if applicable) via encrypted e-mail to the appropriate clerk at PERS-911C.
(e) PERS-911C gains the member in IMAPMIS, prints and signs the Ready Reserve Transfer Request Service Agreement (NAVPERS 1200/1). (f) PERS-911C scans and e-mails the approved Ready Reserve Transfer Request Service Agreement (NAVPERS 1200/1) and e-mails to the NAVCRUITCOM processor. (g) NAVCRUITCOM processor completes the FINACT in PRIDE MOD II and informs the NAVCRUITDIST/NAVTALACQGRU of the attainment. (h) NAVCRUITDIST/NAVTALACQGRU has two working days from the receipt of the approved Ready Reserve Transfer Request Service Agreement (RRA) (NAVPERS 1200/1) to deliver the RRA, NAVCRUITCOM Select letter, and N3M PQ or PQW letter to the new officer’s NOSC. Documents must be delivered via email. (i) NAVCRUITDIST/NAVTALACQGRU shall contact the Personnel department at the NOSC to which the member is assigned to confirm the drill schedule, enroll the member in orientation, and ensure the member is assigned a sponsor. Additionally, the NAVCRUITDIST/NAVTALACQGRU shall ensure that the new DCO has supporting documentation with them on their first drill weekend in order to complete necessary orientation forms including (but not limited to): NAVPERS 1070/602 (Record of Emergency Data), SF 1199A (Direct Deposit Sign Up Form), SGLV 8286 (Service Member’s Group Life Insurance Election and Certificate) and SGLI 8286A (Spouse Coverage Election and Certificate). (j) NAVCRUITDIST/NAVTALACQGRU shall give the new DCO a copy of all medical documents used in their affiliation to include DD2807-2 and DD2808, and the NAVRES Incentive Agreement (if applicable) for subsequent delivery to the NOSC Medical Department on their first drill weekend.

TheClyde

You're referencing a super long instruction/manual... like what kind of questions or info were you not able to acquire from your recruiter?
I personally had no idea what the process was (for example, I didn't even know an officer processor existed). Reading the manual helped me to follow up on status of specific action items with my recruiter rather than just calling and asking if there was any update.

bobsmith456

DCO Selectee
Are there any parts in particular you found helpful? It's not exactly light reading at ~380 pages as I'm trying to take care of a newborn baby.. :confused:
Pg 206 forward talks about the DCO Program and the entire process from the you start, to what the board is reviewing for, to what are the next steps and where all the paperwork goes. I found this helpful to understand where I am at in the process. IE: I have been selected off the Nov Cycle so I wanted to know what happen after a pro yes vs a pro No and this document has it all. What is a scroll? I used Control F (find ) to search the Document.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I personally had no idea what the process was (for example, I didn't even know an officer processor existed). Reading the manual helped me to follow up on status of specific action items with my recruiter rather than just calling and asking if there was any update.

The process can be complicated for a civilian applicant to understand and can leave open interpretations, especially for someone who isn't familiar with the policy. I know when applicants contacted me for updates I would keep it simple instead of getting into the weeds of what the O-RECRUITMAN is saying.

TheClyde

The process can be complicated for a civilian applicant to understand and can leave open interpretations, especially for someone who isn't familiar with the policy. I know when applicants contacted me for updates I would keep it simple instead of getting into the weeds of what the O-RECRUITMAN is saying.
I do get that. I think there are a wide range of recruiters, in my particular instance I really I had to drive the process and be persistent in ensuring things got done. I have no problem with that, my recruiter has plenty of candidates and priorities and I'm no more important than any of them, I'm happy to put in the effort to make sure my application remains front of mind. The problem is, when you don't know what the process is, you don't know if you're being annoying because something just takes time, or if you're being persistent because something got dropped somewhere.

Good example, I filled in my MEPS paperwork and sent it over to my recruiter. Three weeks later I hadn't heard anything back and reached out for an update. Found out later that it had never been forwarded to MEPS until I followed up. If I had known at the time (which I found on a document or manual later) that MEPS pre-screen sign off is supposed to take 2-3 days for someone with no medical issues, I probably would have followed up a week later because I would have known probably something wasn't right, instead of waiting three weeks because I thought I would be annoying the recruiter by not waiting for a response.

As a civilian applicant, I actually like the fact that everything is documented somewhere - if you have a question you just need to figure out where to look and it can often be answered self-service.

bobsmith456

DCO Selectee
So as someone with 18 years in the Navy (Active and Reserves) I still had so many questions about this process. This document really answered my specific question that my recruiter did not know as I was the first 1835 they ever put in. Even with that said ....I invite you to back to page one and start reading what people are asking and then reference the manual. I would say that 90 percent of the questions can be answered. Reading the manual also allow me to ask better questions.

exNavyOffRec

So as someone with 18 years in the Navy (Active and Reserves) I still had so many questions about this process. This document really answered my specific question that my recruiter did not know as I was the first 1835 they ever put in. Even with that said ....I invite you to back to page one and start reading what people are asking and then reference the manual. I would say that 90 percent of the questions can be answered. Reading the manual also allow me to ask better questions.

There really is no need for an applicant to dive into that document, all an applicant really needs is a quick overview provided by the recruiter that should take him or her 10 min to give.

When your car goes in to have brake work done do you ask the mechanic to explain every nut and bolt that will be removed and replaced?
I do get that. I think there are a wide range of recruiters, in my particular instance I really I had to drive the process and be persistent in ensuring things got done. I have no problem with that, my recruiter has plenty of candidates and priorities and I'm no more important than any of them, I'm happy to put in the effort to make sure my application remains front of mind. The problem is, when you don't know what the process is, you don't know if you're being annoying because something just takes time, or if you're being persistent because something got dropped somewhere.

Good example, I filled in my MEPS paperwork and sent it over to my recruiter. Three weeks later I hadn't heard anything back and reached out for an update. Found out later that it had never been forwarded to MEPS until I followed up. If I had known at the time (which I found on a document or manual later) that MEPS pre-screen sign off is supposed to take 2-3 days for someone with no medical issues, I probably would have followed up a week later because I would have known probably something wasn't right, instead of waiting three weeks because I thought I would be annoying the recruiter by not waiting for a response.

As a civilian applicant, I actually like the fact that everything is documented somewhere - if you have a question you just need to figure out where to look and it can often be answered self-service.

There can be a few reasons (even though not good reasons) that a recruiter could be slow with an applicant.
- Leave
- Sent TAD
- New, but even then he should have someone guiding him
- They were told to not submit anymore people for X designator
- There was a question about prescreen, that should be a fairly quick email to candidate
- He or she has applicants that are much more qualified and views you as an applicant with little chance
- Command has tasked he or she with high priority item

MEPS "should" take just 2-3 working days once submitted, however that clock doesn't start until the start of the next working day, if submitted at 8:10 am on a Monday the clock won't start until Tuesday start of business, and even then the workload may delay that. I have seen simple prescreens take a week due to MEPS being down doctors. Yours should have still been submitted and back in 3 weeks. I am not saying this is your case but often people think their medical screening is simple and it may, but what an applicant may think is simple there may be an item that will cause the doc to want more info.

FormerRecruitingGuru

There really is no need for an applicant to dive into that document, all an applicant really needs is a quick overview provided by the recruiter that should take him or her 10 min to give.

When your car goes in to have brake work done do you ask the mechanic to explain every nut and bolt that will be removed and replaced?

There can be a few reasons (even though not good reasons) that a recruiter could be slow with an applicant.
- Leave
- Sent TAD
- New, but even then he should have someone guiding him
- They were told to not submit anymore people for X designator
- There was a question about prescreen, that should be a fairly quick email to candidate
- He or she has applicants that are much more qualified and views you as an applicant with little chance
- Command has tasked he or she with high priority item

MEPS "should" take just 2-3 working days once submitted, however that clock doesn't start until the start of the next working day, if submitted at 8:10 am on a Monday the clock won't start until Tuesday start of business, and even then the workload may delay that. I have seen simple prescreens take a week due to MEPS being down doctors. Yours should have still been submitted and back in 3 weeks. I am not saying this is your case but often people think their medical screening is simple and it may, but what an applicant may think is simple there may be an item that will cause the doc to want more info.

Not only this, but also sometimes (actually not sometimes, but regularly is more appropriate) the *best* quality of recruiting staff members work at MEPS. MEPS staff is often where failed recruiters or recruiters who have some sort of issue attend and work out, so actual recruiters are having to deal with disgruntled or poor quality staff members to push along the MEPS process.

I've had MEPS staff lose or straight up not process medical records or MEPS physical exam requests that I sent over, even after following up. There's been instances where I had to hand deliver documents and not leave until I had 100% assurance that it's been received and being processed.

There's also been issues MEPS found with the record that I was able to correct on the spot.

bobsmith456

DCO Selectee
I am sorry that both of the X-recruiters here feel that they are being disparaged but as a candidate, we put a lot of work into a process. Most of us want to know the exact process that these packages are going through so that we can keep a handle on things and to make sure that we are not missing deadlines. Throughout this process, we kinda feel alone and most (not all recruiters) are not that well versed with all of the processes that each package needs to go through. An Intel enlisted member who is applying to be an officer is required to have a CNIR Approved Conditional release that is five levels and then approved by Pers-913, any other member just has to have a conditional release signed by the NOSC and then approved by Pers-913. This process involves all parties (member, Recruiter, and Officer Processor). The more you understand the process the better you will be set up when applying.

As every sailor has ever heard. No one cares about your career more than you. This is especially true for Officers.

FormerRecruitingGuru

I am sorry that both of the X-recruiters here feel that they are being disparaged but as a candidate, we put a lot of work into a process. Most of us want to know the exact process that these packages are going through so that we can keep a handle on things and to make sure that we are not missing deadlines. Throughout this process, we kinda feel alone and most (not all recruiters) are not that well versed with all of the processes that each package needs to go through. An Intel enlisted member who is applying to be an officer is required to have a CNIR Approved Conditional release that is five levels and then approved by Pers-913, any other member just has to have a conditional release signed by the NOSC and then approved by Pers-913. This process involves all parties (member, Recruiter, and Officer Processor). The more you understand the process the better you will be set up when applying.

As every sailor has ever heard. No one cares about your career more than you. This is especially true for Officers.

I agree with your statement in bold, however being familiar with a 300+ page instruction/manual isn't as efficient as maintaining open and proactive communication with your recruiter. Asking a recruiter, "Hey has my conditional release been moved from CNIR to PERS-913?", most recruiters won't simply know - either because they simply don't know or can't access that information.

Another point not yet made, recruiting processes change and can be different in a region. How officer recruiters process applicants in say, New York may be different than say... Seattle. I recruited in two different recruiting districts, both have completely different protocols and procedures for handling officer recruiting. In one NRD, officer processors were 100% behind the scenes and did not interact with applicants, in my second NRD/NTAG officers recruiter 100% handed applicants to the processor once the application + MEPS was ready.

The Recruiting Manual does provide basic policy but your recruiter and/or officer processor (if you interact with one) can give you the specifics needed.

Like what @exNavyOffRec said, being proactive with your mechanic and doing some basic research (even message boards like here) is a lot more efficient than digging into your car's manual in terms of getting a certain mechanical issue fixed.

exNavyOffRec

I don't feel disparaged, it is about a person making best use of their time and in general a candidate knowing the exact process is not the best use of time. If a person knows the general process then should be able to identify when there is a delay and they need to ask questions. The first meeting I had with an applicant I gave an overview of the process and timeline, the ones I taught did the same thing. If something was delayed if I didn't tell the applicant and they had questions they were encouraged to contact me. I had a 24 hour rule on emails and I still do. If an applicant contacted me they would get a response within 24 working hours either with an answer or letting them know I was working on it.

I would encourage every person that meets with an OR to get a brief overview the first meeting, then have checkpoints to make sure things are on track, that should be sufficient. It should be important to note that an officer has many duties and does not have time to be knee deep involved in every process, understand the big picture and key items, then verify. That is very much what as an applicant you should do. If not ask for one and if you have a bad OR get a new one!

gee_mu_nu

I'm trying to make sense of the dashboard that @RhodesReese posted in the IWC Proboard thread. It seems that for OCEANO and IP there will be no selects this time nor in September as their allocations for the FY are exhausted. The Cryppies can pick a few this time but that seems to be it. Would it not make sense for Intel to take all 54 this time and then cancel the September board? Also, the number of Intel kits before the board is almost a factor of 3 higher than the limit (113 vs 41). Will all 113 be considered?