• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 21 IWC DCO Reserve Board

DENSFG

Don't let it intimidate you, you have a stellar looking package. Just hit the right points and above all else make sure the whole package is complete. I'm a lowely undergrad as well and was picked up first round. I made sure my package was complete and kept in close contact with my OR. I made sure if he needed a document signed and scanned it was done within the hour. It kept me fresh on his mind.

In my motivational statement I spoke to how as an enlisted Airmen I always rose to the occasion and assumed leadership. It helped I got awards to back it up.

On the interviews I made sure to highlight that as a reserve officer I fully expected to do work outside drill weekends, would be expected to deploy, and would transition from being the go-to performer to the go-to-mentor. These are leadership roles were applying for.

Again, I appreciate the insight and more importantly, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Like you, I’m the type that gets its done right and quickly so that the OR knows that I’m a serious and motivated candidate.

In regards to the motivational statement, I have not put too much thought into it as I am focused on the 25m target (medical), but reading through your synopsis really put things into perspective. Simple, yet meaningful points to drive home your background and what you bring to the table, as well as your desire to be leader in the Navy and why you are pursuing your specific designator. I believe the leadership portion is key. Maybe I will start to put a few ideas down on paper so that I have a frame of reference when the time comes.

Squirrel Girl

I cannot stress enough to ensure that your packages are complete and without error, and that your thematics are consistent before submission to the board.

Do not rely solely on the recruiter. I've seen a lot of sloppy packages that were sent to the board.
I am not taking any chances with errors. I am having a second (and third) set of eyes look over all my documents prior to submitting.

I cannot stress enough to ensure that your packages are complete and without error, and that your thematics are consistent before submission to the board.

Do not rely solely on the recruiter. I've seen a lot of sloppy packages that were sent to the board.
I've seen you stress multiple times that packets often include errors. You may have addressed this elsewhere, but are you alluding to missing portions, typos in documents, missing certifications, etc.? Just curious. I am going through the process for another specialty but you are a fountain of information and I will triple check my recruiter (even though said recruiter is amazing).

My9iron

I am not sure if this is the case with everyone else but in my situation I didn’t have access to my packet and
I've seen you stress multiple times that packets often include errors. You may have addressed this elsewhere, but are you alluding to missing portions, typos in documents, missing certifications, etc.? Just curious. I am going through the process for another specialty but you are a fountain of information and I will triple check my recruiter (even though said recruiter is amazing).
My packet had to be done two months before the board because for one month the processor at my station was reviewing everything and then the month directly before the boards big Navy is reviewing everything. So I do not think they even except them with incomplete aspects. It must be referring to things like certifications.

I am not sure if this is the case with everyone else but in my situation I didn’t have access to my packet and

My packet had to be done two months before the board because for one month the processor at my station was reviewing everything and then the month directly before the boards big Navy is reviewing everything. So I do not think they even except them with incomplete aspects. It must be referring to things like certifications.
Yep same with me. I never got to see my full "packet". I submitted everything as my recruiter asked for it and then signed anything he needed of me and it was submitted.

My9iron

Yep same with me. I never got to see my full "packet". I submitted everything as my recruiter asked for it and then signed anything he needed of me and it was submitted.
Yeah, I think you are walking a fine line by asking your recruiter to see things. You certainly dont want to come across like you are checking their work, but I do understand the importance of everything. I had listed some certificates in my resume that were never brought up until the end and she reached out asking me for them so she could include them with the packet. I think those things might be what is being referenced, but I am not entirely sure. Maybe the board sees someone claim an accomplishment but with nothing to back it up it is worthless. So from that standpoint if I did this over again I would also advise to not hope your recruiter will notice that like mine did.

Also, for the record, here's to hoping today is the day! I have been waking up every single day since last Monday thinking that!

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
I never saw my package contents either, what I did do was maintain quick turn around and always check in with statements like: "if you need anything amended or done please don't hesitate to let me know asap and ill get it done"

An OR (as with most human beings) is going to treat you better as an applicant if you treat them well and make the job easy.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
So I do not think they even except them with incomplete aspects. It must be referring to things like certifications.
I have reviewed many packages that have had glaring errors; and these are packages that made it to the boards. My favorite was looking at someone's NAVCRUIT 1131, Section 9, Illegal Activities. Whomever filled out the form was not paying attention and answered yes to questions a., b., c., and d. ?

Last edited: