• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

exNavyOffRec

What would help out applicants is the data on of those that applied how many had the hard science degree, it might be those with the hard science degree due to numbers have a much greater chance of being selected.

also the board schedule linked has been blown to hell, at least for active, when goals come out who knows what will happen, I know the last status said FY13 supply DCO was closed.

as a note when NRC says hard science the examples they give are Computer Science, Computer Eng., Elec Eng., Math, Physics

Mr.Innocent

IP Officer USNR
Got the notice of non-select as well. I have a hard science degree, BS electrical engineering, with 12 years of relevant experience. Unfortunately no certs as in the computer hardware field, what is there? I could get my PE but for EEs that is generally a power thing. Competition must have been tough.

For IP I would consider Security+ a must have. CISSP is not a must have but it is looked at as very desirable. Another one to look at for IP in the ITILv3 Foundations. When I was picked up I had several certifications: CISSP / MCIPT / MCSE / MCSA / Security+ / Network+ and a few others. While I didn’t have a hard science degree I was enrolled in an IT / Information Security Management Master’s program. Remember that there is no one “Majic Bullett” they use a whole person approach. It is my belief that the OIC endorsements and the board / Interviews carry the most weight. Another thing to remember is that you may be a very strong candidate and not get selected, the competition is just very, very tough.

shiner237

Not sure if it matters, but I just changed my Masters program to MSIS from MBA. I also plan on getting Network+ and A+ and if I have time Security+. I think thats about all I can do to help improve my package in the given time. If non-select in March, I will look to enlist.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
I am not comtemplating doing the CISSP now.
Well, I can tell you with a fair amount of certainty that the CISSP trumps the SEC+ for professional credibility in DoDI 8570 circles (read: IDC). But it is only one facet of the InfoSec professional.

Then again, I didn't get selected, so WTF do I know?

I do have Security+ CE already. CISSP can only help. Security+ was a breeze, I know CISSP is much harder, but it is definitley doable. I think Sec+ covers 3 domains? CISSP is 10 which is a lot more to study on. My degree is in Information Security and I have a bunch of govt experience in it. So I think 4 months is doable for me. Maybe itll help, cant hurt.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
I do have Security+ CE already. CISSP can only help. Security+ was a breeze, I know CISSP is much harder, but it is definitley doable. I think Sec+ covers 3 domains? CISSP is 10 which is a lot more to study on. My degree is in Information Security and I have a bunch of govt experience in it. So I think 4 months is doable for me. Maybe itll help, cant hurt.

So - If I said that I crammed for 3 days and passed the CISSP largely on experiential knowledge, would that be bragging? :rolleyes:

shiner237

Its the trivial stuff that always gets me. Questions like How many times do you hit page down to get through the TOS?

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Then wait until you sit for Comptia's CASP (Certified Advanced Security Practitioner) exam. Just as the CISSP is targeted for professionals with 5 or more years of experience, Comptia was looking to leap frog the CISSP with a test/cert that was targeted for InfoSec pros with 10 or more years, and was slated to have a practicum integrated into the exam.

I was the Navy's representative to the team that wrote the first exam (as a contractor). However, since I was required to wait to take the test, I don't know exactly what the final product looked like when they published it. But the material I worked on would certainly separate the wheat from the chaff. And since it's pretty new, it's not yet integrated into the DoDI 8570.

But again, I didn't get selected. So WTF do I know? :rolleyes:

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Don't know yet. My recruiter is in the process of checking with Navy Med to clear me for the heart attack I *just* had the week my package went in (seriously, 06 AUG 2012). I'm fine, and back to work, but of course 'It's just one more thing...'.

But again, I didn't get selected. So WTF do I know? :rolleyes:

Sorry, folks. - Rejection notice #6 since 2009 is a bitter pill to swallow.

Hector Torres

htorrespr
Not sure if it matters, but I just changed my Masters program to MSIS from MBA. I also plan on getting Network+ and A+ and if I have time Security+. I think thats about all I can do to help improve my package in the given time. If non-select in March, I will look to enlist.

I think it'd depend on what your undergrad degree is on, if you have a BS in CS or IS then an MBA should be fine....also, you could take the MBA with an emphasis in IT/IS management if offered. I know I mentioned during my IDC board that I was contemplating an MBA/MSIS and MSCyberSec and they said either would work.

As far as certs, the A+, Net+ and Sec+ route is a mininmum IMHO. I have my A+ and my Net+ but not my Sec+ and I think it hurt my chances. I plan on tackling Sec+ and MCITP before March as well as enrolling on a Masters program, more than likely CyberSec.

I've also looked into the possibility of going enlisted, there is a program for those with a BS and civilian experience that would allow you to enter as an E3 to E6 called the Direct Procurement Enlistment Program (DPEP).
http://www.navyreserve.com/joining/non-prior-service/entrance-programs.html

Good luck next March!!!!!