• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

exNavyOffRec

Other:

The Deputy Chief of Naval Operations for Information Dominance has directed a 60-40% hard science versus social science targeted accession mix of all new IDC accessions. Recruiters shall make every reasonable attempt to submit future candidates with preferred major fields of study associated with the achievement of information dominance to include, but not limited to, computer science, math, physical sciences, and engineering. Additionally, candidates applying for Information Dominance Corps are highly encouraged to provide documentation for all listed Information Technology certifications.

What would help out applicants is the data on of those that applied how many had the hard science degree, it might be those with the hard science degree due to numbers have a much greater chance of being selected.

also the board schedule linked has been blown to hell, at least for active, when goals come out who knows what will happen, I know the last status said FY13 supply DCO was closed.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
What would help out applicants is the data on of those that applied how many had the hard science degree...

Of course, here's the rub for that...
Specifics regarding candidate’s scores or board deliberations will not be disclosed outside of the professional review membership.
I suppose what you might ask for successful applicants in the forum to post their CV here, for reference.

exNavyOffRec

Of course, here's the rub for that...

I suppose what you might ask for successful applicants in the forum to post their CV here, for reference.

This isn't on a specific candidate, it would be as a group, data like that is disclosed all the time, for instance they will send out data saying average selected GPA is X.XX or average interview scores were X, they even have data on how many selected were M or F, how many were white, black, hispanic, etc....

It does however take time to get this data, the one time they wanted the data before results were released it added a week.

Given the 60/40 split the board probably divided the application into tech and non tech from the beginning

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
This isn't on a specific candidate, it would be as a group, data like that is disclosed all the time, for instance they will send out data saying average selected GPA is X.XX or average interview scores were X, they even have data on how many selected were M or F, how many were white, black, hispanic, etc....

Ah - I've never seen such data released. You're right, it could be useful in guiding applicants and recruiters.

exNavyOffRec

Ah - I've never seen such data released. You're right, it could be useful in guiding applicants and recruiters.

It may not be out for this circumstance since it is a new requirement, but recruiters have info like this, the problem is when emails arrive from NRC most people hit "delete" and never read the info, or the COC never bothers to fwd the emails on.

Hector Torres

htorrespr
Congratulations to those selected! Well done! :)

As for me, non-select this time, technically my first time around. I was disqualified back in MAR2012 because of a missing IDC endorsement. This time I received 100% confidence. Disappointed to say the least but I am going to improve my packet as much as I possibly can and re-apply in MAR2013.

Thank you to those members that continue to contribute to this board so much valuable information and advice.

Hector Torres

htorrespr
Sounds like me, Jason, and I was a non select as well. Starting grad school in January and have certification tests scheduled...nothing else I can do except keep trying!

I am on the same boat! I am looking into different masters programs and more IT certs, the only two areas I feel I am not as strong as I could be.

Chris Bracken

Chris, How did you arrange your own interview? I was told that everything had to go through the recruiter but I keep getting screwed because of that. Mind if we have a phone conversation? Could use some counsel.

Here is how I arranged my own board: I work as a Navy Civilian in Naples, Italy in the IT field so I have base access and work with some of the folks with IDC designations. I asked and asked and asked and persisted until I got a board. During the asking part I was very patient and understanding with scheduling conflicts. It was a process of building consensus in a couple of officers in a way that educated them in what I was trying to accomplish. They became my advocates during this time and they arranged for other officers to participate in the board.

I am blessed to already be on the 'inside' and I worked this to my advantage on arranging the board. If I could transcribe the process and put it on my application it may have been worth a few points with those that are doing the selections. But it was so close to the deadline I was not able to find a way to do it.

I have not heard any results but am 6 hours behind NRD New England so I expect to hear later today.

Chris

Jalbrekt

Got the notice of non-select as well. I have a hard science degree, BS electrical engineering, with 12 years of relevant experience. Unfortunately no certs as in the computer hardware field, what is there? I could get my PE but for EEs that is generally a power thing. Competition must have been tough.

P3toP8

Has anyone else heard of the "highly competitive" list? If so, does anyone know how much weight it holds next time you apply?

OHNavy

Truckin'
Got the notice of non-select as well. I have a hard science degree, BS electrical engineering, with 12 years of relevant experience. Unfortunately no certs as in the computer hardware field, what is there? I could get my PE but for EEs that is generally a power thing. Competition must have been tough.

For a good IT cert you can knock out in relatively short time, check out Security+. CISSP is another good one, but would likely take longer to gain compated to Sec+.

It's not IT-specific, but if you have 12 years experience and are managing projects, consider PMP.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Package #6: Non-select.

Prior Service (USAF)
B.Sc. Network Technologies ('07) - GPA: 3.26
M.Sc. Computer, Information Systems and Network Security ('08) - GPA: 3.87
CISSP (since 2008)
CEH (since 2010)
CHFI (since 2011)
ITILv3 (since (2008)
12 years commercial InfoSec/IA
3 years DOD contractor (IA) - Predominately w/Navy or USMC.
-- Former Regional IAO for Naval Education (NETC - Ech II) covering 12 UICs
-- Former Lead IA Engineer for SPAWAR/AFPSC joint project
-- Currently IA SME assigned to SECDEF/Cybersecurity
Full TS in JPAS (w/both SCI and FS-Poly currently underway).
Interviews: O-6, O-5 (CO CID), O-5 (Eastern region IDC OIC endorsement).
LOR: Retired O-8/Principal with current employer; multiple LORs from academic faculty.
etc...