• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

RaginCajun

Well, I have my first interviews this past weekend. The OIC said I had a really good chance at selection and said he would be writing a very positive LOR; however, the board interview lasted all of about 3 minutes(the OIC interview lasted 75 minutes), where they said I was unqualified, and absolutely un-selectable and am wasting my time applying and sent me on my way. I was shocked to have 2 such differing interviews, all officers were O-5s. I'm going to have a second set of interviews in August, hopefully go better. Anyone had that happen to them? (being told unqualified and wasting your time applying?) Also, the board interviewers told me my ONLY chance of getting into the Navy was the advanced enlistment program.

Again, a little about me:
26 years old
no prior service
Masters in Business
working on Doctorate in International Finance
a few jobs with leadership roles
A lot of experience giving large presentations on data analysis

hopeful_one

Cryptologic Warfare Officer
Well, I have my first interviews this past weekend. The OIC said I had a really good chance at selection and said he would be writing a very positive LOR; however, the board interview lasted all of about 3 minutes(the OIC interview lasted 75 minutes), where they said I was unqualified, and absolutely un-selectable and am wasting my time applying and sent me on my way. I was shocked to have 2 such differing interviews, all officers were O-5s. I'm going to have a second set of interviews in August, hopefully go better. Anyone had that happen to them? (being told unqualified and wasting your time applying?) Also, the board interviewers told me my ONLY chance of getting into the Navy was the advanced enlistment program.

26 years old
no prior service
Masters in Business
RaginCajun - I didn't quite have the same experience, however my board interview didn't go as well as my OIC interview. For my board interview I think I lasted about 15 minutes, whereas the other guys that day were taking 30-45 minutes. They threw a few curveball questions at me which I think I bombed on. I'm pretty sure I came off nervous, non-confident and in-articulate - pretty much everything you don't want in a Naval Officer. However, afterward my interview with the OIC and assistant OIC couldn't have gone better. They were impressed with my experience and qualifications and I seemed to nail all the questions they threw at me. It was more relaxed so I figure I wasn't as nervous and came off a lot better. So the OIC and assistant OIC said I have a strong package and a good shot at being selected. I just don't think my board interview went well at all. Hopefully the OIC has some influence on getting the packages up to the national selection board. BTW - I'm going for IW, what community are you interviewing for? What are your second set of interviews for? Are we allowed to schedule another round of interviews if the first one didn't go so well? I wasn't aware that was an options. Good luck!

RaginCajun

I am trying for Intel. I didn't even get to say almost anything, and they didn't even bother to ask me any questions or hold any type of actual interview. It was an immediate shut down, not qualified in any way. I walked out VERY confused. Seemed odd how one officer can say I have a good chance, and then 2 minutes later, 2 difference officers of the same grade say I'm completely unqualified and wasting my time. Seems odd.

Yes, you can schedule 2 sets of interviews.

OHNavy

Truckin'
I am trying for Intel. I didn't even get to say almost anything, and they didn't even bother to ask me any questions or hold any type of actual interview. It was an immediate shut down, not qualified in any way. I walked out VERY confused. Seemed odd how one officer can say I have a good chance, and then 2 minutes later, 2 difference officers of the same grade say I'm completely unqualified and wasting my time. Seems odd.

Yes, you can schedule 2 sets of interviews.

Hang in there RaginCajun. Did the board say specifically why you were unqualified? I went through a similar experience when first applying at age 28 with very little professional leadership experience. My panel interview lasted five minutes at most.

My advice is to work on improving areas you feel are weaker and keep plugging away. Ten years later (and lots of leadership and technical experience since then) and I am still trying to earn a commission.

Keep your head up and keep working at it.

RaginCajun

They said I was unqualified because I have no prior military service and no intel experience. Not exactly something I can do in my spare time. I'm not giving up in any way, just reporting my interview results.

P3toP8

26 years old
no prior service
Masters in Business

I would highly suggest going to your recruiter and asking to do more interviews. I have heard that they recruiter can throw out the lowest interview(s) if you have enough of them, take this with a grain of salt your recruiter may end up using all of them.

P3toP8

Does anyone know what the procedure is if you already have a TS/SCI DoD clearance WRT already have a clearance and applying for a commission. Do they commence another investigation? I am a few years out on my periodic reinvestigation. Or do they just say, he/she is good to go until they are due for the periodic reinvestigation?

hopeful_one

Does anyone know what the procedure is if you already have a TS/SCI DoD clearance WRT already have a clearance and applying for a commission. Do they commence another investigation? I am a few years out on my periodic reinvestigation. Or do they just say, he/she is good to go until they are due for the periodic reinvestigation?
I don't believe you have to do another investigation. I also have a TS/SCI from DoD and my recruiter said I don't have to do another. You will have to fill out another SF-86 though. You can't just give them a copy of the one you did for your initial clearance.

OHNavy

Truckin'
I don't believe you have to do another investigation. I also have a TS/SCI from DoD and my recruiter said I don't have to do another. You will have to fill out another SF-86 though. You can't just give them a copy of the one you did for your initial clearance.

Have a TS/SCI and same experience as hopeful_one.

hopeful_one

They said I was unqualified because I have no prior military service and no intel experience. Not exactly something I can do in my spare time. I'm not giving up in any way, just reporting my interview results.
RaginCajun - that is a good attitude to have - keep trying. I've been reading a lot of the posts from this forum and it seems like the guys that kept at it and worked hard to improve their packages were eventually selected. That is encouraging. It seems like persistance really does pay off. Even though I'm still in the process myself I would like to through out some things that may help improve your package if you don't get picked up this round. Having strong technical skills as an Intel Officer will help you out a lot. I know you are working on a Doctorate, but maybe try and take an information systems or computer science course. Maybe look at getting some technical certifications. I know there are graduate certificates you can get in cyber-security or information systems. I think that will immediately make you a stronger candidate. Also, I'm not sure what your school/work situation is exactly and where you are located, but having a government job especially with a clearance will tremendously boost your chances. If you can find a position, even through a contractor, that will grant you a clearance that is one less thing the Navy has to take into consideration when selecting you for a commission. Try and look for those opportunities. And finally I would try and volunteer or do community service work - maybe at a local military base or involving the Navy in some way. As far as prior military service - I don't have any either and no one has mentioned that will hurt my chances in any way. In fact, the day of my interviews there was a recruiter there, not my own, that told me sometimes having prior enlisted experience hurts some candidates. He said that sometimes they come off very arrogant and think they are sure-things for selection because of their prior experience. I wouldn't sweat that too much, just keep trying and if this is something you really want I'm sure it will happen. Best of luck!

exNavyOffRec

26 years old
no prior service
Masters in Business

My only thought on why they did this is that the others that were being interviewed were so much stronger that they knew they would not recommend you, and giving you a bad recommendation would hurt you more in the long run.

Given your info above you would have a better shot at Supply, saying this without looking at numbers.

djmyk322

Hello everyone,

I was an Intel Select from the last board, commissioned two weeks ago. A quick advice to everyone, make sure that you highlight as much leadership expereince as you can, especially if you have military leadership. I strongly feel that was what got me selected. A quick background, I have 12 year active as an ET, 2 year reserves, MA in Intelligence Studies (3.47 GPA) and MA in IT Management (3.45 GPA), nothing stelar. But I was always a MP or an EP in my navy evals, ranked top 10 amongst my peers. My Navy evals and resumes highlighted all my leadership expereince and skills. My LOR's (one from O-8, O-7 and an O-6) also highlighted my vast leadership roles and expereinces. I know I did not get perfect marks on my interviews, but my overall package painted a picture of great leadship potential. Seems to have been what got me selected. Please let me know if anyone has any questions. I got a lot of help and advice when I was applying and I am just trying to return the favor.

Intel Ensign.

P3toP8

Priors - I just found this out and apparently this is a new requirement. A VA letter stating that you are not receiving disability compensation is required with your package. It is pretty easy to get this letter, call the VA at 1-800-827-1000, then select options 1, 1, then 0(zero). Request a Verification of Disability Compensation letter and ask them to fax it to your OR. I did it and I waited on hold for a good 30mins, but once I put in the request my OR had it within minutes. Anyhow, I thought I'd pass along the info.

exNavyOffRec

Priors - I just found this out and apparently this is a new requirement. A VA letter stating that you are not receiving disability compensation is required with your package. It is pretty easy to get this letter, call the VA at 1-800-827-1000, then select options 1, 1, then 0(zero). Request a Verification of Disability Compensation letter and ask them to fax it to your OR. I did it and I waited on hold for a good 30mins, but once I put in the request my OR had it within minutes. Anyhow, I thought I'd pass along the info.

As long as you are under 30% there should be no issues, this is something that we have had to put in the applications for quite a while, there is actually a spot on the application you have to initial that says "if you are currently in receipt of disability......"