• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

hopeful_one

Cryptologic Warfare Officer
Hi guys,

I'm brand new to this forum and I have to say it is full of great information. I just recently decided to apply to the DCO program and sent the recruiter my application. I am completely new to this and unaware of the time frames though. After I sent my resume to the recruiter, I got a call from an officer who said he wanted to pre-screen me in order to get me in front of the DIRCOM board for an interview. I spoke with the officer and he asked various questions. He seemed good with all of my qualifications except for my lack of formal professional management/leadership experience. However, he said "I'll give you a shot". And now I'm scheduled for an interview this Thursday at Andrews in DC. I was worried though because my package is not complete. I don't have my work references back to my recruiter yet and no LORs. After reading some of the posts though, I guess I don't need those yet until I submit the package in August? Is that correct? Are these board interviews all part of the final package as well? I'm still new to all this and trying to figure it all out. I haven't been able to get a hold of my recruiter and am just anxious to find out as much as I can to prepare. Also, some honest feedback about my chances would be great. After reading some other the other qualifications I'm very intimidated, especially since I don't have prior military experience or leadership experience yet. Thanks in advance!!

34 years old
12 years of professional work experience (2 years as govie)
B.S Information Science
M.S Information Systems
Federal employee at Fort Meade
TS/SCI with Polygraph
Detailed to DOE and "Q" cleared
Certs: CISSP, CISA, CCNA, GCIH, GSNA
Participating in CNO development program at Fort Meade - 3 year rotational program through various agency offices working on CNO projects
Participating in Emerging Leaders Program at Fort Meade - various classroom and computer based learning modules that focus on leadership skills
No prior military service

navgovie

IW Officer
Hi guys,

I'm brand new to this forum and I have to say it is full of great information. I just recently decided to apply to the DCO program and sent the recruiter my application. I am completely new to this and unaware of the time frames though. After I sent my resume to the recruiter, I got a call from an officer who said he wanted to pre-screen me in order to get me in front of the DIRCOM board for an interview. I spoke with the officer and he asked various questions. He seemed good with all of my qualifications except for my lack of formal professional management/leadership experience. However, he said "I'll give you a shot". And now I'm scheduled for an interview this Thursday at Andrews in DC. I was worried though because my package is not complete. I don't have my work references back to my recruiter yet and no LORs. After reading some of the posts though, I guess I don't need those yet until I submit the package in August? Is that correct? Are these board interviews all part of the final package as well? I'm still new to all this and trying to figure it all out. I haven't been able to get a hold of my recruiter and am just anxious to find out as much as I can to prepare. Also, some honest feedback about my chances would be great. After reading some other the other qualifications I'm very intimidated, especially since I don't have prior military experience or leadership experience yet. Thanks in advance!!

34 years old
12 years of professional work experience (2 years as govie)
B.S Information Science
M.S Information Systems
Federal employee at Fort Meade
TS/SCI with Polygraph
Detailed to DOE and "Q" cleared
Certs: CISSP, CISA, CCNA, GCIH, GSNA
Participating in CNO development program at Fort Meade - 3 year rotational program through various agency offices working on CNO projects
Participating in Emerging Leaders Program at Fort Meade - various classroom and computer based learning modules that focus on leadership skills
No prior military service
Hopeful_One,
From my experience your package doesn't necessarily have to be totally complete before you do the panel interview, as the results of the interview will become part of the final package itself.

As for your chances, I suppose it all depends on what designator your aiming for. If your hoping for an Intel slot, I'd say your chances are probably fairly slim. On the other hand if your looking for an IP slot, or IW slot I'd say you look like a very strong candidate (very similar to my own background actually!). Of course there are numerous other variables to consider, such as total number of applications vs open slots, the strength of those candidates, and the specific traits the selection board is looking for (which, IMHO, can be somewhat subjective). Finally, if the worst happens and your a non-select, just remember its not the end of the world. I know individuals on this board who went up three or more times and finally made it in after several years of trying (I went up twice myself).

In any case, good luck with your application. If you have any other questions, just ask! This place is a great resource and the people are generally friendly. ;)

/R
NG

hopeful_one

Hopeful_One,
From my experience your package doesn't necessarily have to be totally complete before you do the panel interview, as the results of the interview will become part of the final package itself.

As for your chances, I suppose it all depends on what designator your aiming for. If your hoping for an Intel slot, I'd say your chances are probably fairly slim. On the other hand if your looking for an IP slot, or IW slot I'd say you look like a very strong candidate (very similar to my own background actually!). Of course there are numerous other variables to consider, such as total number of applications vs open slots, the strength of those candidates, and the specific traits the selection board is looking for (which, IMHO, can be somewhat subjective). Finally, if the worst happens and your a non-select, just remember its not the end of the world. I know individuals on this board who went up three or more times and finally made it in after several years of trying (I went up twice myself).

In any case, good luck with your application. If you have any other questions, just ask! This place is a great resource and the people are generally friendly. ;)

/R
NG
Thanks navgovie! I appreciate the feedback. I'm looking for an IW or IP slot. Hoping it works out this round, but if not I'll definitely re-apply on the next one. Definitely glad I found this site - it's been so helpful so far.

hopeful_one

Hopeful_One,
From what my recruiter tells me the biggest part of the application process are the interviews.
JasonB - trying to prepare for my interviews as well as I can. Meeting with a bunch of IW officers tomorrow so hopefully I get some good tips from them before my board interviews on Thursday.

hopeful_one

Hey all,

I just had my board interviews yesterday. I'm just wondering how long you all waited before you got the scores and feedback from the panel interviews. Also, someone I was chatting with told met that you only need 3 sets of scores for your package. So he said since I had 4 officers interview me, if one of those officers gave me slightly lower scores than the others I could essentially throw out the low score. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks,
Mark

P3toP8

Mark - Not everyone will receive their scores from the interviews, it depends on if the recruiter wants to divulge the info but, I'd definitely ask. As for throwing out the fourth score, I can't verify it but, I have heard recruiters doing it. The recruiter wants you to have the best possible package and if he can do it I imagine he/she will. It never hurts to ask.

-Matt

P3toP8

I just received my final request for reference/LOR.

Request for Reference:
DHS - Director of Air Operations
ASEC - President & Ret. CAPT USNR
AirScan - OIC CDR USNR
Boeing - Manager & LCDR USNR

LOR:
Former CO VP-16 CAPT USN
Current CO VP-30 SAU CDR USNR
UW Professor & Ret. LTC USA

I applied for SNA/SNFO in '09 and was a non-select, I'm hoping this time the outcome is different.

hopeful_one

Mark - Not everyone will receive their scores from the interviews, it depends on if the recruiter wants to divulge the info but, I'd definitely ask. As for throwing out the fourth score, I can't verify it but, I have heard recruiters doing it. The recruiter wants you to have the best possible package and if he can do it I imagine he/she will. It never hurts to ask.

-Matt
Thanks for the feedback Matt. I'll definitely inquire with my recruiter about getting my scores and throwing out the low one.

exNavyOffRec

I just received my final request for reference/LOR.

Request for Reference:
DHS - Director of Air Operations
ASEC - President & Ret. CAPT USNR
AirScan - OIC CDR USNR
Boeing - Manager & LCDR USNR

LOR:
Former CO VP-16 CAPT USN
Current CO VP-30 SAU CDR USNR
UW Professor & Ret. LTC USA

I applied for SNA/SNFO in '09 and was a non-select, I'm hoping this time the outcome is different.

If you are applying for Reserve IDC you should have some IDC officer interviews. How did you do on those? Otherwise good lineup of LOR's

P3toP8

If you are applying for Reserve IDC you should have some IDC officer interviews. How did you do on those? Otherwise good lineup of LOR's

I interviewed with 3 Intel O's and received a 10 from a O-4 IDC OIC, a 10 from a O-6, and 9 from a O-5. Do you think the 9 will hurt me? I've heard of you don't have all 10's, you won't be selected.

exNavyOffRec

I interviewed with 3 Intel O's and received a 10 from a O-4 IDC OIC, a 10 from a O-6, and 9 from a O-5. Do you think the 9 will hurt me? I've heard of you don't have all 10's, you won't be selected.

Well it depends on the board, if you look if a person gives you a 10 they are supposed to write a summary statement and some don't like to do that, and some give 10's and don't write a statement and that looks bad too. I have seen a few IDC reserve people picked up with 9's, seen many 10's get turned down, often it is the narrative that tells the real story.

P3toP8

Well it depends on the board, if you look if a person gives you a 10 they are supposed to write a summary statement and some don't like to do that, and some give 10's and don't write a statement and that looks bad too. I have seen a few IDC reserve people picked up with 9's, seen many 10's get turned down, often it is the narrative that tells the real story.

That's really good insight! I know the IDC OIC wrote a statement, but the other two I am unsure of, I will inquire to ensure they wrote statements. Thanks for the feedback!

exNavyOffRec

That's really good insight! I know the IDC OIC wrote a statement, but the other two I am unsure of, I will inquire to ensure they wrote statements. Thanks for the feedback!

To expand on what I mean, I have seen people with great marks, all 10's, but the narrative read like the guy was given 6's or 7's, the same people gave a person 8 and 9's but the narrative was written like the guy walked on water.

P3toP8

To expand on what I mean, I have seen people with great marks, all 10's, but the narrative read like the guy was given 6's or 7's, the same people gave a person 8 and 9's but the narrative was written like the guy walked on water.

Got it. I received really good feedback for all the interviewers, I can only hope the feedback I received was transcribed into the letters.