• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2013 IDC Boards

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB, if your statement is to be believed, I should not even bother. At 35 with only two Masters Degrees and a less than perfect undergrad GPA, I have no chance. I fail to believe that.

My apology, I mistakenly thought you were applying for SNA. My intent was only to help.
BzB

RaginCajun

So, What kind of questions are asked during the interviews? I know mine are still a few months out, but I don't want to get there and be completely surprised. Any of you who have gone through them care to share?

navgovie

IW Officer
So, What kind of questions are asked during the interviews? I know mine are still a few months out, but I don't want to get there and be completely surprised. Any of you who have gone through them care to share?
From what I recall, panel interviewers will ask you about general topics that include your reasons for joining the reserve, what quality(s) do you think makes a good officer, what about your experiences would make YOU a good officer. They will probably ask alot about your leadership experiences, and might given you scenario based questions about what you would do under certain circumstances as a leader. They may also have a couple questions regarding jobs you've held based on whats in your resume.

As for the individual interviews, they will probably ask much more specific questions. Such as, why did you want to become an IDC officer? How did you get interested in your field of study? Have you studied the requirements for the IDC qualification, and if so explain some of them....and so on. They may also ask you about some of your specific course work if it was technical in nature.

In anycase, I hope this helps! Ill be happy to answer any other questions if you have them.

NG

PapaK

My apology, I mistakenly thought you were applying for SNA. My intent was only to help.
BzB
It's okay. I'm not familiar witht he SNA requirements. I do realize they tend to have more strict reqs than other communities. Thanks for the comment though. It forced me to look it up.

Becks

Becks
I was interviewed by a Commander and Lieutenant Commander who asked;
Why Navy?
Why Intel?
Tell us about a time you had to make a tough choice
Tell us about a time you excelled at something/made a good choice
What is your greatest weakness
What do you think about XYZ current affairs
A few others that slip my mind right now.

They will also go through your resume and ask you about your background and qualifications. Their computer systems were down so I had to explain my entire resume from memory since they had failed to print out mine and I wasn't instructed to bring copies. Bring copies just in case!

I was roughly in the same boat as you; 25, 3.2 undergrad, working on my masters degree, 3 years of Army ROTC. One shot, one kill selection. Keep faith and ranger on.

RaginCajun

I was interviewed by a Commander and Lieutenant Commander who asked;
Why Navy?
Why Intel?
Tell us about a time you had to make a tough choice
Tell us about a time you excelled at something/made a good choice
What is your greatest weakness
What do you think about XYZ current affairs
A few others that slip my mind right now.

They will also go through your resume and ask you about your background and qualifications. Their computer systems were down so I had to explain my entire resume from memory since they had failed to print out mine and I wasn't instructed to bring copies. Bring copies just in case!

I was roughly in the same boat as you; 25, 3.2 undergrad, working on my masters degree, 3 years of Army ROTC. One shot, one kill selection. Keep faith and ranger on.

So it's like a typical job interview then?
I learned to always bring a few copies of my resume just in case asked for it. I am pretty up to date on current affairs. As I said, my masters is done (3.2) and working on my DBA (Doctorate Business Admin-International Finance) through a French University, so hopefully, they like the international quality. I have done a few study abroad programs as well, which have furthered my world view by leaps and bounds.

I'm waiting to find if my interviews will be in New Orleans or Dallas.

Becks

Becks
So it's like a typical job interview then?
I learned to always bring a few copies of my resume just in case asked for it. I am pretty up to date on current affairs. As I said, my masters is done (3.2) and working on my DBA (Doctorate Business Admin-International Finance) through a French University, so hopefully, they like the international quality. I have done a few study abroad programs as well, which have furthered my world view by leaps and bounds.

I'm waiting to find if my interviews will be in New Orleans or Dallas.
Roger, I was specifically instructed NOT to bring them, but yes its just like any other interview. Everyone, myself included, was in suit and tie or similar.
You'll wait around in a reception area till you're called and provided yours runs the same as mine did you will be interviewed twice, once by an OIC (LT) and then by the commander and XO of the unit. The OIC interview was a bit more relaxed and asked other questions relating to where I saw the next potential threats around the globe and also random questions such as "If the clock shows the hour hand at X and the minute hand at Y, what would the angle formed between them be?"

RaginCajun

Yeah roger, I was specifically instructed NOT to bring them, but yes its just like any other interview. Everyone, myself included, was in suit and tie or similar.
You'll wait around in a reception area till you're called and provided yours runs the same as mine did you will be interviewed twice, once by an OIC (LT) and then by the commander and XO of the unit. The OIC interview was a bit more relaxed and asked other questions relating to where I saw the next potential threats around the globe and also random questions such as "If the clock shows the hour hand at X and the minute hand at Y, what would the angle formed between them be?"

Hah, sounds like you have to be to think on your feet. Excellent. Are the interviews (OIC and XO) typically on the same day or do you return multiple times for interviews? This could be a big difference between interviewing in Dallas or New Orleans. (Flying to Dallas vs. driving to New Orleans).

Becks

Becks
Hah, sounds like you have to be to think on your feet. Excellent. Are the interviews (OIC and XO) typically on the same day or do you return multiple times for interviews? This could be a big difference between interviewing in Dallas or New Orleans. (Flying to Dallas vs. driving to New Orleans).
My OIC interview was at 0900 and my XO/CO was at 1030. I was out of there before noon. For what its worth I interviewed in ATL which is 5 hours away from me. Stayed at my brothers house the night before and then drove the hour that morning to get from his house to the unit. It was certainly doable and scheduled on their drill weekend so I didn't have work to worry about.

Mr.Innocent

IP Officer USNR
RaginCajun Below is a good resource for Board Prep.
On the panel interview / OIC thing I did mine in NOLA and did a second Panel interview in Pensacola and a second OIC interview with the OIC form Jacksonville FL who happen to be in Pensacola that week.
Assuming you are a strong candidate I would try to do both Dallas and NOLA if possible. I don't know if having 2 sets of interviews put me over or not but I was selected for IP the first time my package made it to the board (March 2012). You have to do things others are not doing to make yourself standout. From what I was told the ASTB is no longer required but I did it anyway. Go take it and if you have a strong score put it in the package if not leave it out. Having more information in your board package than they require especially than which sets you apart or shows you went the extra mile (2 Panel and OIC interviews) is a good thing.
Do you see a theme here? Make youself stand out!!!!!
This is a good resource for board related questions:

RIAC/OIC GUIDE TO LOCAL DIRCOM BOARDS
This guide is intended as a tool for RIAs in establishing effective local DIRCOM boards.
Questions and procedures are 'best practices' gleaned from various RIAs and should not be construed as requirements.
And this is a good resource for the entire process. some info may be a little dated but it is good reference maretial

Messiah62

I will be applying for IW and IP for my 2nd time. I will be an E5 by the time this board rolls around and I will be halfway done with my Maseters degree. So far my GPA is a 4.0 in grad school. I recieved a 3.67 GPA for my undergrad. I also need to take one more test and ill have my MCITP.

PapaK

I'm trying to be in for this board. I'm a 25 y/o SNA OCS medical DQ turned civilian intelligence analyst in a USAF leadership program. Hoping being in the IC w/clearance will put me over the edge this time. I was one of 14 selected from almost 2,000 for that program so I'm used to long odds. Third time's a charm, right? :-/

Sheepdip, I think you're on the right track. You seem to have better credentials than most of us here. Third, fourth, fifth time, who cares. Keep trying. You'll make it.

Hector Torres

htorrespr
UPDATE:

Hello All,

This past weekend I had my board interview and obtained the AOIC endorsement. Not sure why I had to do the board since I am not applying for Intel but my recruiter suggested I did anyway. During my interview with the AOIC he suggested I looked into applying for Intel. He explained that a percentage of Intel officers selected have to have a technical (IT) background. I have asked several officer friends and so far have gotten mixed opinions, some said it was a good idea others said the civilian job opportunities for Intel officers are not as good...I don't know enough so I am just doing some homework so I can make an educated decision.

The board was made up of a CAPT and two LTCDRs. They asked the basic questions: Why Navy?, Leadership, a scenario question, education, a personal event that I considered a "regret" and why, knowledge questions re: IDC. In all I feel I did very well, don't think I did or said anything to hurt my chances.

In the meantime, I am working on my Net+ and Security+ to add to my certs and attempting to join the DoD or other government agency. I was also asked to provide a letter of re-consideration which really will consist of "I obtained the required endoresement" since it was the only missing component but since I am working on certs, that'll go inthere as well so hopefully that lets the board know that I am being pro-active and doing more than just obtaining the minimum requirements.

Good luck to all! :)

RaginCajun

I am finally scheduled for my first interview in New Orleans. Spoke with my recruiter and he is going to set up another interview in Fort Worth for me as well. I'm pretty excited at the actual progress that we are making in this application process. I hope the selection board later this year doesn't get cancelled.