• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 20 IWC DCO Board

That deserves a story...
My package was sent through a different NRD than my geography would suggest, so my OR told me that if I didn’t want to have a ceremony or make the drive, I was more than welcome to call him by Skype... there’s NO WAY I could do that!

bryanteagle6

Well, without getting too deep in the weeds....
I never met my last 2 POC through my NRD face to face. I had about 8 POC over a 5 yr period from my first board to selection. After selection, i kept calling asking what i needed to do or what i should be doing to prepare. I never got any substantial feed back until i got a call on like a tuesday from my OR saying we have your oath and we need to sign it today! Something was about to expire and void the doc. We hooked up on skype, i printed the doc, signed it, and did the oath all while holding my phone so he could see the process. No one was there and it was at my work office after everyone had left. (3 day beard!) I faxed it back to him and he signed his part. Welcome to the Navy, you are one of us now kid!
Ive still never met him and i even have 2 ppl in my unit working with him now! Ha.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
We hooked up on skype, i printed the doc, signed it, and did the oath all while holding my phone so he could see the process. No one was there and it was at my work office after everyone had left. (3 day beard!) I faxed it back to him and he signed his part. Welcome to the Navy, you are one of us now kid!

I guess the thrill is gone...

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Writing a small update (it started small at least),

Background - 35 year old / Current Navy Civilian / Prior Enlisted Air Force applying for March 2020 IWC board (14 FEB deadline - no word on if we're getting a push back similar to AD).

BLUF

Medically qualified and finished physical qualification (weight, height, bodyfat) this morning. Three interviews down, one more to go plus in-person OIC. Package submitted for grooming and awaiting word on what needs to be fixed (fully expect a few returns).

I will write updates AFTER events have unfolded so I can give as honest of an experience as possible for anyone travelling down this same path. For me it seems like this is sort of a unique situation having access to essentially all base services, websites, etc. vice others I've been reading. I hope it helps anyone out there in a similar situation or an outsider looking in.

Medical

Used the local NHBC to accomplish the physical - I am not in tricare. Spoke to patient services coordinator and was sked for appointments on availability (apparently similar to how Reservists are sked, good process to learn I suppose). Compared to my memory of MEPS - going through the NHBC was amazing especially having 1-on-1 time with the Doctor.

If you go through NHBC you'll coordinate everything through PHA (they usually have two offices one for flight physicals and one for sick call and everyone else - go with the sick call one). My advice get your BCA accomplished through PHA asap. I didn't think to ask, they then pointed me back toward my division or MEPS. I ended up having our CFL's perform a BCA today (SAT). Be persistent and always show up TEN minutes before they open (here its 0730). You will definitely hurry up and wait, but you'll get it done and that is 1000% what matters. Do not walk in and not be first in line they will not prioritize you. Do not give them attitude etc if you wait a long time or have to make multiple trips. I am certain beyond a doubt my patience and positive attitude compelled these very busy offices to go out of their way to help me get it done.

This information is primarily for those of us already service-connected with a CAC and ability to access on-base facilities. None service-connected I imagine will have to use MEPS no matter (sorry). I'd still make it a point to remain positive no matter how bad MEPS can sometimes be, they are going to be a lot easier on you if you're easier on them.

Interviews

Required three, I have four sked with three accomplished and fourth occurs today. Although not required I'm happy to do the fourth just to get some talk time in with someone doing the job. I approached these interviews as less of a personal evaluation and more of an information gathering session to benefit me.

All interviewers have been LCDR's - I was worried having read some gouge on here suggesting LCDR's give you a run for your money. All three interviews so far were fantastic, great questions, solid answers and they seemed genuinely interested in explaining requirements for this program. They all also have very impressive backgrounds and continue in the program because its so fun. They all spoke to mobilization requirements and extra outside (aka unpaid) duties for officers. Priors know that comes with the gig, non-priors you'll learn soon there is no OT on the mil side.

One thing to note on these interviews - don't bs them especially if you're trying to sound completely knowledgeable for the position. You shouldn't be, you're applying to learn it. I googled and scrounged what I could, but ended up admitting to one interviewer I only had a 1000 foot view of the position and couldn't go deeper. He greatly appreciated my honesty and willingness to learn or find the answer. Obviously don't go in and straight out say you know nothing - but don't go deep into things unless you truly know what you're talking about.

I look forward to the next phase, I'm hoping I can get this package submitted before the 14FEB deadline, it seems as if my recruiter and his processor are highly motivated to get me in. Good luck to anyone else out there and as aforementioned I will update when events have unfolded so I can give a genuine account.

Feel free to respond with any questions (although this site has 90% of the knowledge you need already on it) or PM me.

CheckCharlie

Skype/Facetime enlistments + commissionings are becoming more common these days. Why make an applicant who might live 5 hours away spend a whole day traveling for an hour of paperwork and swearing in?

I can see that for IWC, but just curious from a recruiter's perspective, do any specific communities not allow swearing in via Skype/Facetime? In general, I'm glad to see it's an option. Uneventful? To some, sure. Effective? Yes.

At work we have a hiring manager who rejected great, out-of-town applicants for a $60-70k job position because he didn't want to do interviews over Skype. Not even a Skype pre-interview to filter down for an in-person interview later. And we had less than a dozen people apply. "If they're not willing to fly in, then I'm not willing to see them". Eventually, we had to advertise 3 times before filling the spot.

CheckCharlie

One thing to note on these interviews - don't bs them especially if you're trying to sound completely knowledgeable for the position. You shouldn't be, you're applying to learn it. I googled and scrounged what I could, but ended up admitting to one interviewer I only had a 1000 foot view of the position and couldn't go deeper. He greatly appreciated my honesty and willingness to learn or find the answer.

+1. Not IWC, but I had a similar experience with my DCO interviewers.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Update

Things certainly got interesting real quick - first and foremost the biggest blocker I see stopping someone from boarding is the medical and weight/height.

Height / Weight

For weight/height you don't have to fall within the DoD enclosure 1308.3, I am a big guy and personally have only ever gotten below the req. for my height once and that was on my ship-out day to BMT - I went in 199 lbs and came out 208 lbs.

The navy has two other metrics it uses .. TLDR if your waist is 39'' or less you're good, the other check is the BCA (google for more info). It's your "Abdomen - Neck = Circumference Value" and that value plugs into a chart and gives them an approximate body fat percentage. As long as you meet one of those three metrics you're good.

For those of you with base access (or friends) - if you can find a CFL they can perform a BCA and my processor accepted the NAVPERS 6110 submitted.

** Advice for big guys you can skip this if you don't know what I mean **

You have to meet these metrics, it doesn't matter how fit you are (outside of extraordinary cases of course). I run 20+ miles a week and they couldn't care less - you have to meet the metrics. I'd like to further elaborate that from everything I've read and heard you'll be expected to easily meet these metrics and pass the PRT on arrival at OCS. I've been told by I don't know how many from the Air Force and Navy side .. be prepared and start your PT now especially if you're a big guy - for you non-priors like me who aren't skinny-fat prepare to contend with the BCA during your career. For me the solution has been forced habitual running - it seems to do the trick!

Medical

I went back and forth from my NHBC about twenty times to finish this sheet - even after asking to get everything required verified I still made the trips to get it all done. Here is what they HAVE to have to save you time - First there are three forms:

1. DD Form 2697 : This is a standard medical questionnaire
  2. DD Form 2807-1 : This is a declaration of your medical history; My advice is to only mention critical issues if they exist, minor events like say a sprained ankle or even a broken one from a decade ago require you to provide extensive medical documentation. Some things are often better left unsaid ..
  3. DD Form 2808 - This is the "Money" form and is where you will pass or fail, if you fail I don't know if they allow you to re-apply or not? Maybe it depends on the condition I assume. Although I didn't need to I would suggest fighting for re-tests if some things are wonky. For example my blood pressure first measured 150/95 - I asked for a re-test and it was 127/70. Don't get strung up by a bad result from a poorly conducted eval - your civilian doctor can always be a second opinion you can use to get things re-evaluated. Tenacity is king.
You 100% need to have these boxes on Form 2808 filled / evaluated:

Page 1 - 3, 4, 5a, 5b, 6, 7, 8, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b, 11a, 15a, 15b, 15c, For 17 through 41 you need to have NORMAL except for boxes 30, 32, 41 (for males) which can be NE (Not evaluated). Box 44 my doctor just crossed out.

Page 2 - 45, 45a, 45b, 46, 47, 53, 54, 55b, 55b, 56, 57, 58, 61, 66, 71, 73.

Page 3 - 74 (Yes this has to be checked), 81 and I had my doctor sign 83a/b and dentist signed 84a/b.

This all might not be critical for those of you processing through MEPS, but its something I learned the hard way from numerous trips. You'll also need to have an EKG performed along the way and provided. I also included my hearing results which by the way I should mention..

The hearing test is annoying - I didn't read tips and went in fresh without using tricks I've read such as having hearing protection in prior to going. My advice for the test itself is to hit that button if you even think you heard a tone. If you're conservative you're not going to do well.

Application

So I met all requirements, completed the interviews and had the OIC interview and clearance pre-screen left to go. At this point my recruiter told me were not going to be able to SKED these and you can at least be ready to go in September. I immediately pushed back and asked for anything I could do - I would drive hours to get an interview done just tell me when and where. I also reached out to a LT that coordinated the interviews and pushed to get these done. Well it turns out the OIC wasn't able to accomplish any of the interviews for my region and so they wrote a memo that was accepted and we have until the board meets to accomplish these last two action items.

So I'm currently standing by to check off these two boxes and it should hopefully all be done. Once everything is done I'll make another post and then update when I hear from the results. Based on what I've been told I don't expect a first round selection although the rates are much higher and I consider myself very competitive. From what I've read and heard tenacity is king.

I'm sorry these posts are so long and I hope someone coming onboard might find some use from them. I try to shoot straight and personally appreciate when things are spelled out.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Can you show me where in this thread we discussed the potential effects COVID-19 had on the boards meeting? Or is that another thread some place? I have yet to see it mentioned here.

I'll clarify, considering the nations current posture and HPCON .. I wonder if the board will still meet on time.

trakanon

Contributor
I've been keeping in touch with my recruiter. Chief says to wait and be patient. I imagine the Navy has more important things planned internally the military needs be safe and not get infected with this virus so they can be ready to support the general population and maintain order later on. I wish I was available to be activated and do my part to help.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
I've been keeping in touch with my recruiter. Chief says to wait and be patient. I imagine the Navy has more important things planned internally the military needs be safe and not get infected with this virus so they can be ready to support the general population and maintain order later on. I wish I was available to be activated and do my part to help.

Thats what I assumed as well, although todays vector from secnav to me essentially spoke to staying flexible to maintain mission while dealing with this new threat. I personally wouldn't mind it being pushed to the right. I think my package just barely crossed the line.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Can you show me where in this thread we discussed the potential effects COVID-19 had on the boards meeting? Or is that another thread some place? I have yet to see it mentioned here.

I'll clarify, considering the nations current posture and HPCON .. I wonder if the board will still meet on time.

Search COVID and you’ll easily find your answer.