• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 20 IWC DCO Board

From what i have gathered from previous board discussions, the official results are posted to the NRC sharepoint and our officer recruiters have access to this sharepoint. While I'm sure the list is being passed around at various levels, it just hasn't been put up on the sharepoint yet.

RUMINT is CNRC decides whether a candidate will commission/onboard as an O1 or O2. Does anyone know what the qualifiing points are to jump to O2 or what one can do now to help change that decision before commissioning? Is having a Masters Degree a qualifing point to get to O2?

Last edited:

jdjohn5

Only time I’ve heard of that is if they are something like a medical doctor. I’m envious that you’ve found out the results already. Still waiting here.

Is having a Masters Degree a qualifing point to get to O2?

I think someone asked that question during the info session on the interview day. No, Masters (or PhD) does not get you an O2 within DCO. If RUMINT is true, I'd be mildly curious what designator that person was selected for and what prompted them to evaluate O1 vs O2 as the starting paygrade. As mentioned above, it's usually the doctors, lawyers, chaplans, and other service officers that get to come in at anything above O1. Also, when I first reached out to my OR last year, one of his first questions were "do you have a masters, what major, and what gpa". He said you need to have one in the right thing with good gpa to being even remotely competetive just for selection alone, not even mentioning anything above O1 as a start.

Also, would coming into the reserves as O2 vs O1 mess up any of the timings with the required PQS and other stuff? On the active side it probably could due to the expected tours you need to have as you are progressing from O1 to O3. If you are missing some expected things that you did not do, then it puts your package at a disadvantage compared to other O3's during your O4 selection board. You would also be looked at for O4 promotion 2 years early, which could present issues for prior service people who need to make sure they are in the sanctuary if they 2xFOS for O4. Me personally, I would not bother investing efforts into trying to come in as O2, and if they offered it to me, I would seek feedback before accepting it over plain O1. The bar is already high enough to get selected at all and I'd be perfectly ok if I made it to that point.

Bones

RUMINT is CNRC decides whether a candidate will commission/onboard as an O1 or O2. Does anyone know what the qualifiing points are to jump to O2 or what one can do now to help change that decision before commissioning? Is having a Masters Degree a qualifing point to get to O2?

I know the requirement for constructive entry credit is in the PA for 1815.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...CW_Reserve_Commissioning_Program_Apr-2019.pdf

Page 4-5.

TLDR: Each year of graduate school in certain fields / work in the field will be evaluated for constructive entry credit up to 4 years (LT). Waivers beyond 4 years will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

subreservist

It does seem entry credit can be given for IP and CW selectees to allow a higher grade level upon entry but not for INTEL.

This extra step may be making the results release process a little longer.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
No, no, and no. Unless you are in the Medical Corps, you start at the bottom like everyone else.
The OCM reported that language was put into the 1815 PA in order to pave to way to bring people in up to O3. If they are in a situation where they are trying to attract talent (with experience in AI and ML) they are now authorized to bring you in as an LT.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I can see them doing this for people with prior service as a commissioned officer.

We get piles of straight stick civilian applicants with 1) graduate education, 2) extensive work experience, and 3) certifications. No way in hell I see them doing this for a straight stick civilian, no matter their background.

They are toying with doing this for IP's as well, but I never see it happening. The Navy is too hung up on rank and they have enough applicants that they do not need to entice them with a higher rank like they do for the Medical Corps, who is hurting big time for doctors.