• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 19 EDO DCO BOARD

Chance_EDO

Still a Pollywog, not yet a Shellback
Hey everyone,
My OR submitted my packet last week for FY 19. I heard the EDO Board met last week.

My questions are:
1) Do you know how many applicants typically apply for the DCO spots?
(ie is it like the Naval Aviator Board or other DCO boards where hundreds apply and only 1% or 10% of people are selected)?
2) Do you know what is a typical time to hear back?

Any tips and insights you can share would be appreciated!

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My questions are:
1) Do you know how many applicants typically apply for the DCO spots?
(ie is it like the Naval Aviator Board or other DCO boards where hundreds apply and only 1% or 10% of people are selected)?
2) Do you know what is a typical time to hear back?

Good questions, your OR should be able to field both of these for you.

Chance_EDO

RuFio181,

1)When I asked my OR if I was competiting against hundreds of applicants, all he told me was:
"Finding a suitable EDO candidate that "meets all the requirements" is like finding a unicorn."

So, does this mean not only am I competiting against quantity but also quality (i.e. people with prior service and a PhD from Harvard in Physics/ Stanford in Elec Engineering)?

I appreciate any insights or feedback from anyone.

exNavyOffRec

RuFio181,

1)When I asked my OR if I was competiting against hundreds of applicants, all he told me was:
"Finding a suitable EDO candidate that "meets all the requirements" is like finding a unicorn."

So, does this mean not only am I competiting against quantity but also quality (i.e. people with prior service and a PhD from Harvard in Physics/ Stanford in Elec Engineering)?

I appreciate any insights or feedback from anyone.

I would find a unicorn costume put it on, then send him a picture and see what his response is, but I am a smartass. :D

Chance_EDO

I would find a unicorn costume put it on, then send him a picture and see what his response is, but I am a smartass. :D

ROFL....that's funny.

NavyOffRec, is there anything you can share about the number of people applying for EDO (X number of people applying for Y slots)?

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Please see my comment here: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/reserve-edo-dco.44235/page-10#post-902650

Last board had 12 selectees out of 14 or 15 applicants. My OR pulled up a document with the selectees when I was in the recruitment office one time.

Your OR is correct about unicorns. Most people applying for the Navy (even the hypercompetitive DCO program) are not people with a B.S. and graduate degrees in engineering fields.

Is your cumulative GPA across degrees above 3.44?
Do you have letters of recommendation from work?
Are your interview appraisals solid?
Do you have a strong motivational statement?
Are you at least in your 30s?

If so, you're likely to get selected.

Chance_EDO

Please see my comment here: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/reserve-edo-dco.44235/page-10#post-902650

Last board had 12 selectees out of 14 or 15 applicants. My OR pulled up a document with the selectees when I was in the recruitment office one time.

Your OR is correct about unicorns. Most people applying for the Navy (even the hypercompetitive DCO program) are not people with a B.S. and graduate degrees in engineering fields.

Sculpin, I only had 1 interview (by phone) with an EDO CMDR. My OR said the CMDR was very impressed with all my answers.
I read in this forum that other DCO applicants interviewed with 2-3 people. Some of them even met in person. (Mine was only by phone).

Do you think I'm screwed (or my chances are diminished) because I only have 1 interview?

Chance_EDO

Thank you Sculpin! Are you also applying for the June 2019 EDO board?

D

Sculpin, I only had 1 interview (by phone) with an EDO CMDR. My OR said the CMDR was very impressed with all my answers.
I read in this forum that other DCO applicants interviewed with 2-3 people. Some of them even met in person. (Mine was only by phone).

Do you think I'm screwed (or my chances are diminished) because I only have 1 interview?

I am also applying. Take a look at that echo chamber 10th page from the thread I linked. :p

One is all that's really required and 3 is the maximum. Because you're applying to the "unicorn" board, they may (I'm just theorizing here) overlook you didn't interview with 3 Admirals and Secretary of Defense Mattis or whatever the crazy expectations are for the IWC board.

I think your chances are a lot better than mine. My GPA, appraisals, motivational statement, etc. are very strong. But the thing is, I'm only 27. Sure any colleague will tell you I operate well above my experience and title in a cut-throat tech corporation, but I don't believe the selection board will know or understand what that entails. Years of experience is a big deal to my understanding for the DCO boards.

Edit: Oops, I misread. I applied for the June 2018 board (the one that convened last week).

Last edited by a moderator:

Chance_EDO

I am also applying. Take a look at that echo chamber 10th page from the thread I linked. :p

One is all that's really required and 3 is the maximum. Because you're applying to the "unicorn" board, they may (I'm just theorizing here) overlook you didn't interview with 3 Admirals and Secretary of Defense Mattis or whatever the crazy expectations are for the IWC board.

I think your chances are a lot better than mine. My GPA, appraisals, motivational statement, etc. are very strong. But the thing is, I'm only 27. Sure any colleague will tell you I operate well above my experience and title in a cut-throat tech corporation, but I don't believe the selection board will know or understand what that entails. Years of experience is a big deal to my understanding for the DCO boards.

Edit: Oops, I misread. I applied for the June 2018 board (the one that convened last week).

Hey Sculpin,

Looks like we both applied for the board last week! My OR said the board met last week but the Xcel Spreadsheet shared here said it will meet June 20, 2018. Do you know which date the board actually meets and when we will hear back?

exNavyOffRec

Not everyone can have an in person interview due to geographic locations, the number of applicants are low because the requirements are high, your OR probably told you that work experience in the field and graduate degrees are important.

Chance_EDO

Hey Sculpin,

Thanks for the thread (page 10). I read it and wow, you were organized. I think you are in a much better spot than I am.
I am guessing the requirements for the other DCO positions are simlar but those DCO programs seem to get hundreds of applicants.
To hear you sharing that there are only 15 Engineering applicants really puzzles me.

Is there something inherently unattractive with the EDO program that makes it so unpopular?

Last edited:

Chance_EDO

Not everyone can have an in person interview due to geographic locations, the number of applicants are low because the requirements are high, your OR probably told you that work experience in the field and graduate degrees are important.

Thank you NavyOffRec,

Since this my OR said that this board looks for a “unicorn” applicant, I just assumed after reading this forum (like the other DCO boards), that I’m competing against 100+ “unicorn-type” applicants (i.e. practicing Professors in Engineering).
A single major university alone produces hundreds and hundreds of MS and PHD engineers...... and there is no better opportunity out there than the Navy to practice engineering. Very strange why these qualified people are not applying en masse.

D

Hey Sculpin,

Looks like we both applied for the board last week! My OR said the board met last week but the Xcel Spreadsheet shared here said it will meet June 20, 2018. Do you know which date the board actually meets and when we will hear back?

I couldn't tell you which is right. The spreadsheet you saw maybe said June 20, 2017? I was told the board this year convened on June 7. Whichever it is, best of luck to you. If you have 20 years experience, you're golden.

Hey Sculpin,

Thanks for the thread (page 10). I read it and wow, you were organized. I think you are in a much better spot than I am.

To hear you sharing that there are only 15 Engineering applicants really puzzles me.
Do you have any thoughts on why this is?

Active duty EDOs are largely SWOs who redesignate after their sea tours and warfare qual (there's also lateral transfers and other things). Thing is, the same engineering B.S. requirement applies, and relatively speaking, you won't find a lot of those.

Then for those who want to be EDOs, they go to NPS for 2 years and go through qualifications and have at least a 2 year obligation. A lot of Navy officers just want to leave after they paid back the 4 years required of them from NROTC or USNA, and not incur at least another 4 years. There's also lots of SWOs that may stay in another 1-3 years during their shore tours to "figure out their life" after the Navy, so to speak. I live in a major Navy city and have known tons of these.

Then we look at the Navy Reserve DCO program. Think about it this way:
- How many engineers give a second thought about the military? Look at engineers around you. Our mindset is different from the average. There tends to be more rationality, more practicality, less machismo, etc.
- Why would someone making a six-figure salary working on the cutting-edge of technology, energy, construction, auto, etc. want to deal with the military, unless they have deeply-seated interests and motivations?
- How many people are even aware of what any military service reserve is, what the Navy DCO program is, or what an EDO is?
- How many engineers are even US citizens?
- How many meet basic fitness standards, nevermind the ability to run, push-up, and curl-up much better than the average person? This includes me with regards to running. I used to be a solid runner, but ignoring most cardio for the last 4 years to focus on lifting is biting me in the ass. Don't be deceived if you have a great bench press 5RM either. It's a different beast from cranking out 80+ push-ups in one set.

There's a lot more reasons why so few engineers apply to the Navy EDO DCO program but we could brainstorm about that for hours. :p

Thank you NavyOffRec,

Since this my OR said that this board looks for a “unicorn” applicant, I just assumed after reading this forum (like the other DCO boards), that I’m competing against 100+ “unicorn-type” applicants (i.e. practicing Professors in Engineering).
A single major university alone produces hundreds and hundreds of MS and PHD engineers...... and there is no better opportunity out there than the Navy to practice engineering. Very strange why these qualified people are not applying en masse.

You're a unicorn as you are already. You don't need a fancy computer science PhD from Cal or CMU.

EDOs don't really practice engineering. You won't be playing with CAD tools, coding, design, etc. It's a bit more like technical program management. And unless you're a civil engineer, I can't imagine there being much in the military that would be a better opportunity for engineers than in the civilian world.

Last edited by a moderator: