• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 18 IWC DCO BOARD

USNAVY

No excuses here. I just wanted a fair shot even though I knew I wasn't getting selected. I checked the program authorizations this morning and I met the minimum requirements for IW 2.5 GPA. Once again I know I wasn't getting selected, but keeping a guy down after working hard to say he is ineligible when it fact that wasn't true just hurts. Hope some of you understand the point I'm trying to make

Last edited:

Igloojam

pilot
It is incumbent on the applicant to succinctly detail GPA's, degrees, and schools, in their personal statement. If you attended the top engineering school in the country and earned a 2.8 GPA, then explain why, especially if others, attending the same school and degree, earned a 3.8.

All I hear here are excuses.

With all due respect but putting in your personal statement why your school is harder and that’s why you made a 2.8 sounds like a surefire to sound super pretentious. Everyone thinks their school is hard but it doesn’t take a whiz to figure out that the leadership major is less challenging than any engineering degree. Hard science degrees, requiring upper level physics/math/chem are absolutely more difficult. We can sit here and debate this but the devil is in the details; ask any major university academic counselor.

Homeboy here didn’t get a fair shake. Period. I’ve seen recruiters completely upend kids dreams because they needed numbers or didn’t do their due diligence. Mind you this was back when I was prior Marine. If they did it to studs then they’re probably still doing it. My wife is in this board and I followed her process like a hawk making sure her recruiter gave her a good shake. Luckily the one she got was great.

USNAVY

With all due respect but putting in your personal statement why your school is harder and that’s why you made a 2.8 sounds like a surefire to sound super pretentious. Everyone thinks their school is hard but it doesn’t take a whiz to figure out that the leadership major is less challenging than any engineering degree. Hard science degrees, requiring upper level physics/math/chem are absolutely more difficult. We can sit here and debate this but the devil is in the details; ask any major university academic counselor.

Homeboy here didn’t get a fair shake. Period. I’ve seen recruiters completely upend kids dreams because they needed numbers or didn’t do their due diligence. Mind you this was back when I was prior Marine. If they did it to studs then they’re probably still doing it. My wife is in this board and I followed her process like a hawk making sure her recruiter gave her a good shake. Luckily the one she got was great.
Thanks for the support. I parted ways with my recruiter after the news broke. Isn't really much else I can do at this point except for keep my nose to the grindstone. I graduate at the end of the summer and will end up with a 3.7/3.75 GPA. My degree isn't engineering but I am a manager on one of my projects /do analytical / computer database work /prior enlisted with 13+ years combined leadership experience. I will not give up. It just sucks, another year and I dont make it to another board. Good news is my GPA is high and after being on this site for 3 years now I have gathered you need at least a 3.5 GPA or your chances are slim so I am hopeful

Last edited:

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
BLUF: the competitiveness of current pool of applicants across all designators is freaking insane. I see the backgrounds of new selectees coming in to my designator (IP) and it's scary.

People are unwilling or are unable to come to terms with this fact. This is not to say that anyone here could not succeed as an Officer. Of course they could. But we are talking about the application process. The people on the board making the selections (senior Reserve Officers) are not stupid and know how to read through resume fluff, both military and civilian.

When I applied in 2009, my recruiter flat out told me what I was qualified for (Intel) even though I wanted IP or CW. He flat out told me, "not a chance for IP or CW." He said he would put my package through for IP or CW, but that I would not get selected. So, I applied for what I qualified for based on his input.

Homeboy here didn’t get a fair shake.
Yeah, he did. I've seen his resume (he sent it to me) and he is not competitive as compared to the current pool of applicants for INTEL or IP, or any other designator for that matter. Maybe after he gets more relevant civilian work experience. He may have a shot at getting in to the Reserve as an Enlisted, but I have no idea what that landscape looks like.

...prior enlisted with 13+ years combined leadership experience...
Common... At least be honest with people here about your work experience and college degree choices.

Last edited:

USNAVY

BLUF: the competitiveness of current pool of applicants across all designators is freaking insane. I see the backgrounds of new selectees coming in to my designator (IP) and it's scary.

People are unwilling or are unable to come to terms with this fact. This is not to say that anyone here could not succeed as an Officer. Of course they could. But we are talking about the application process. The people on the board making the selections (senior Reserve Officers) are not stupid and know how to read through resume fluff, both military and civilian.

When I applied in 2009, my recruiter flat out told me what I was qualified for (Intel) even though I wanted IP or CW. He flat out told me, "not a chance for IP or CW." He said he would put my package through for IP or CW, but that I would not get selected. So, I applied for what I qualified for based on his input.

Yeah, he did. I've seen his resume (he sent it to me) and he is not competitive as compared to the current pool of applicants for INTEL or IP, or any other designator for that matter. Maybe after he gets more relevant civilian work experience. He may have a shot at getting in to the Reserve as an Enlisted, but I have no idea what that landscape looks like.

Common... At least be honest with people here about your work experience and college degree choices.
I was not given a fair shake because they said I was ineligible which means they did not even review my prior evals, recommendations from former multiple CAPTs I served under, interviews, motivational statement, etc. As for the leadership, I joined the Navy in 2004 was a leader then, was a leader during college for the veterans association, leader as an academic advisor and leader in my current position. I know my story and ive been through a lot. I was a deck seaman at one point E-1. When did I lie about my degree choices? @bubblehead

Last edited:

Igloojam

pilot
@bubblehead when I say he didn’t get a fair shake I was referring to the fact his package didn’t even go to board. No one is arguing the boards aren’t competitive.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
@bubblehead when I say he didn’t get a fair shake I was referring to the fact his package didn’t even go to board. No one is arguing the boards aren’t competitive.
He is ineligible. The PA states an undergrad cumulative GPA of 2.8 is required. This is taken from PA108C but all have the same requirements:
upload_2018-1-21_7-59-34.png

USNAVY

He is ineligible. The PA states an undergrad cumulative GPA of 2.8 is required. This is taken from PA108C but all have the same requirements:
View attachment 17989
My choices were (INTEL,IP and IW). I checked all program authorizations yesterday and it stated minimum for IW is a 2.5 GPA. So technically I was eligible for IW just not the other two. Look it up

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
My choices were (INTEL,IP and IW). I checked the IW program authorization yesterday and it stated minimum 2.5 GPA. So technically I was eligible for IW just not the other two. You wanna back me up on this? @devilbones
That screenshot is taken from the 108C Program Authorization. I have attached it here. Its dates January, 2017. Do you have a newer one?

Attachments

• 108C CW.pdf
    77.2 KB · Views: 12

USNAVY

That screenshot is taken from the 108C Program Authorization. I have attached it here. Its dates January, 2017. Do you have a newer one?
All I have are the 2015 authorizations. Do you have the updated INTEL?

IW Below:
Education
Minimum of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution is required. Major fields of study directly related to Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) are most strongly preferred but not required. An undergraduate cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.5 or greater is required.

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Here are the rest. They all have the same undergraduate GPA requirements. Can you post the one that you are referring to?

Attachments

• 108A Intel.pdf
    217.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 108B Oceano.pdf
    216.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 108D IP.pdf
    221.9 KB · Views: 10