• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 18 IWC DCO BOARD

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Some will tell you, "you will not promote unless you mobilize..." Bullsh*t...
To expand on this quote.. The most recent O4 board had a 67% select rate for 1835/Intel officers, which sucks. And many who were not selected had multiple mobilizations under their belts.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

@bubblehead Out of curiosity, what were your qualifications when you applied to DCO (eg. occupation, education, special skills/languages, etc.) and then got redesignated? I've been in the process of better understanding how the IWC DCO selection and program work. And thanks for all your valuable comments. Lots of good information.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
so for instance, the 4 O2 1825s that did MOB could have volunteered?!
They could have volunteered or were involuntarily mobilized.

Another thing to consider is the amount of time you take to earn your PQS for your designator, which is required before you are deemed "mobilization ready." Your IDWO pin is not part of this process. That is, IDWO qualification is not a determining factor to being mobilization ready, only your PQS attainment.

If the PQS instruction says you have 36 months, why the hell would you do it any faster? You are not going to win any awards and it's not going to help you, at all, for FITREP or promotion purposes. And, at least in my community, the insistence from our O6 leadership to rush the qual process is, IMHO, self-serving.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
@bubblehead Out of curiosity, what were your qualifications when you applied to DCO (eg. occupation, education, special skills/languages, etc.) and then got redesignated? I've been in the process of better understanding how the IWC DCO selection and program work. And thanks for all your valuable comments. Lots of good information.
If I were applying for DCO today, I would not be considered competitive. That's how competitive it is, especially for 1835/Intel.

Re, change of designator. It's easy. You must be fully qualified in your current designator. You don't have to have your IDWO pin, but it helps. You have to call PERS to check on the manning for your current rank and designator as well as the one that you want to go into. If you are in an undermanned designator, it will not happen. If the designator that you want to go into is overmanned, it will not happen.

USNAVY

Just received an email from my recruiter that the board found me ineligible because my undergrad GPA did not meet the 2.8 GPA requirement. However, my graduate GPA is a 3.8 and I will graduate with my master's this summer. Now I have to wait another year to re-apply. I haven't made a board in 2 years from mishaps from my recruiter and other factors, now I finally get through the interview process, etc. and this happens. I just cant catch a break.

exNavyOffRec

Just received an email from my recruiter that the board found me ineligible because my undergrad GPA did not meet the 2.8 GPA requirement. However, my graduate GPA is a 3.8 and I will graduate with my master's this summer. Now I have to wait another year to re-apply. I haven't made a board in 2 years from mishaps from my recruiter and other factors, now I finally get through the interview process, etc. and this happens. I just cant catch a break.

If your UG GPA made you ineligible now it would have been the same before, so you haven't missed anything.

My concern is the combined GPA will be lower than others applying, but good job on the 3.8 master's GPA.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

If your UG GPA made you ineligible now it would have been the same before, so you haven't missed anything.

My concern is the combined GPA will be lower than others applying, but good job on the 3.8 master's GPA.

The DCO GENOFF checklist doesn't mention combined GPA. Unlike the regular Active Duty GENOFF checklist that DOES require a GPA calculation, reserve doesn't. I ran into this issue with an EDO, long story short he got a 1.9 GPA before he enlisted, finished his degree with a 3.9 and is currently in a PhD program with a 3.8 GPA. However, if you were to average everything out... the cumulative GPA is 2.7. We called the DCO Program Manager and what he told us was this: "Use whatever GPA that will make him eligible". So long story short, we used the PhD GPA on the APSR.

So... you could have had an UG GPA of a 2.0, but in a Masters program and have a 3.4 GPA. You/your recruiter could use that 3.4 GPA for your application.

Attachments

• CHECKLIST RESERVE GENOFF_DCO APR 17.pdf
    969.9 KB · Views: 28

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You do realize you are competing against people who have very high - some of them, perfect - GPAs for both undergrad and grad schools?

depending on your undergrad major, school, and circumstances, you can mitigate your low Undergrad GPA are part of your personal statement.

USNAVY

The DCO GENOFF checklist doesn't mention combined GPA. Unlike the regular Active Duty GENOFF checklist that DOES require a GPA calculation, reserve doesn't. I ran into this issue with an EDO, long story short he got a 1.9 GPA before he enlisted, finished his degree with a 3.9 and is currently in a PhD program with a 3.8 GPA. However, if you were to average everything out... the cumulative GPA is 2.7. We called the DCO Program Manager and what he told us was this: "Use whatever GPA that will make him eligible". So long story short, we used the PhD GPA on the APSR.

So... you could have had an UG GPA of a 2.0, but in a Masters program and have a 3.4 GPA. You/your recruiter could use that 3.4 GPA for your application.
The email I received was forwarded from the head guy for IWC DCO and it stated they would not use the cumulative GPA. Its a blow to say the least

USNAVY

You do realize you are competing against people who have very high - some of them, perfect - GPAs for both undergrad and grad schools?

depending on your undergrad major, school, and circumstances, you can mitigate your low Undergrad GPA are part of your personal statement.
Yes, but my interviewers and OIC said they were impressed with my education and graduate GPA of 3.87 and it was used on the APSR. Someone was being picky at the board

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
Did your recruiter get the entire results from the board or just yours?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
It sounds like they won’t calculate a cumulative GPA if the master’s degree is not yet conferred. Once your master’s degree is conferred, reapply.

USNAVY

That's not true. For programs requiring a cumulative GPA, graduate education is added in, even if they took just one course.
Well the way the email sounded and my recruiter sounded, they are giving me the shaft after all of my hard work. I am going to find myself a new recruiter and re-apply next year :(