• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Future OCS Board Dates

jakerx

Pro-Rec'd SNA & NFO Jan. 2012
NavyOffRec,

You said applications for the July 2012 Pilot board are due beginning of June. I had Lasik surgery mid-December 2012, and have completed all subsequent check-ups. My application is complete with ASTB scores, medical, etc. except for the Lasik waiver. I cannot apply for the waiver until mid-June (6 months after), correct? If that is the case, what is the possibility of submitting my application for the July board date and pursuing this waiver as soon as possible? Will my lack of waiver automatically disqualify my application, even if I can complete the waiver before the board convenes?

Thank you!
Is LASIK accepted now? I thought it was just PRK?

MGoBrew11

pilot
NavyOffRec,

You said applications for the July 2012 Pilot board are due beginning of June. I had Lasik surgery mid-December 2012, and have completed all subsequent check-ups. My application is complete with ASTB scores, medical, etc. except for the Lasik waiver. I cannot apply for the waiver until mid-June (6 months after), correct? If that is the case, what is the possibility of submitting my application for the July board date and pursuing this waiver as soon as possible? Will my lack of waiver automatically disqualify my application, even if I can complete the waiver before the board convenes?

Thank you!

You can apply and get the waiver later. I and many others have done this.

Rik

It is listed as TBD but no I don't think it will happen, in the past they had had just one board per year for AMDO that actually happened.
Again thank you for the info. Have you heard about a "will-grad" letter? My chain of command told me that I can submit a letterhead message from the university that i'm attending stating my current standing and my expected graduation date and that will suffice for the board. I'm typically sceptical of the he said she said stuff and i can't find anything in writing regarding this. Any information is appreciated. Thank you

exNavyOffRec

there is a form on the NRC website called an academic degree completion plan, basically it shows what classes you have left and that if you complete you will graduate.

Silhouette

I've been lurking around these forums for months now- tons of great info! I have a fairly specific question, though. For other services wishing to apply for OCS, when does the conditional release/DD 368 actually become effective? I've received varying answers from Marine Corps folks (at MMSR) and my OR. The reason it matters more for me is that I don't have my degree yet (will grad December 2012) and if I were to be selected, I'd prefer not to have months of 'unemployment' between the final select being received and reporting to OCS. (of course I would get a job, but you know what I mean!) My Navy OR stated that once the FS is received, he has about 5 days to get me 'enlisted' in the Navy. This sounds odd to me. Thoughts and/or guidance?

exNavyOffRec

I've been lurking around these forums for months now- tons of great info! I have a fairly specific question, though. For other services wishing to apply for OCS, when does the conditional release/DD 368 actually become effective? I've received varying answers from Marine Corps folks (at MMSR) and my OR. The reason it matters more for me is that I don't have my degree yet (will grad December 2012) and if I were to be selected, I'd prefer not to have months of 'unemployment' between the final select being received and reporting to OCS. (of course I would get a job, but you know what I mean!) My Navy OR stated that once the FS is received, he has about 5 days to get me 'enlisted' in the Navy. This sounds odd to me. Thoughts and/or guidance?

are you reserve or active? it affects the answer

exNavyOffRec

NavyOffRec- active.

The OR is wrong, I have worked with/coordinated enlistment for several that were active duty, for active duty you can enlist very shortly before going to OCS, even college kids don't have to sign the FS within 5 days, it seems he is just trying to lessen his work by doing it all right away and in the end screwing you.

Silhouette

The OR is wrong, I have worked with/coordinated enlistment for several that were active duty, for active duty you can enlist very shortly before going to OCS, even college kids don't have to sign the FS within 5 days, it seems he is just trying to lessen his work by doing it all right away and in the end screwing you.

That's good news about enlistment; bad news about my OR. Appreciate the insight. Going to keep working to get my package in for the July boards. I noticed a response you had posted on another thread about LORs and I just want to clarify -- LORs in active duty packets should all be on the DD 370, right?

exNavyOffRec

you are USMC going USN, so you should use DD 370's, you could use interview appraisal sheets as well, which is what an active USN applicant should use

Silhouette

you are USMC going USN, so you should use DD 370's, you could use interview appraisal sheets as well, which is what an active USN applicant should use

Check. Thank you, sir.
Another request for your wisdom, if I may: My first choice for OCS is supply, but given the state of the boards, I understand that Supply likely won't be looked at any time soon. The overriding wisdom of these forums seems to be to submit for anything you are qualified for, as slots are only getting tighter, which I totally understand. Would you still advise that I set up an interview with a Supply officer if I am able to and submit the appraisal with the July board packet? Not sure if it would help, hurt, or not matter to boards looking for other specialties. My CO is a Navy CAPT too, so I will at least have one Navy officer opinion in my LORs.

exNavyOffRec

Check. Thank you, sir.
Another request for your wisdom, if I may: My first choice for OCS is supply, but given the state of the boards, I understand that Supply likely won't be looked at any time soon. The overriding wisdom of these forums seems to be to submit for anything you are qualified for, as slots are only getting tighter, which I totally understand. Would you still advise that I set up an interview with a Supply officer if I am able to and submit the appraisal with the July board packet? Not sure if it would help, hurt, or not matter to boards looking for other specialties. My CO is a Navy CAPT too, so I will at least have one Navy officer opinion in my LORs.

Given you are active yes, set up interview from any officers you can.

pmaccona

NavyOffRec,

Do you by chance know or have a general idea of when the billets for intel fy13 selects might be released, i.e. when those 7 slated to go might get their final select letters?

Thanks!