• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

funny things you've heard on the radio

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
The Djibouti controllers were notoriously touchy. You had to sweet talk them or else taxiing or take off would be a pipe dream. One day one of our O-4s wasn't as polite as he should have been at the hold short line. The controller's response: "No! You get nothing! You go back!" The crew was then stuck turning on the taxiway for 30 minutes until they were allowed to take off.
We had the same thing happen to us. The tower controller demanded an apology from our PPC, which he refused to give, for starting engines without permission. We ended up having our CO call the tower LNO to get the standoff broken.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Shooting a PAR into Andalusia:
Controller: "How will this approach terminate?"
Me: "With me eating some ribs!"

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Was coming back to Miramar after a night hop and on approach control there was a Marine H-46 from Pendleton that was having an emergency and was asking for vectors to Miramar for a roll-on landing. We were in the fuel pits when he was on short final, so we turned up Tower frequency when he was handed off to them. The first thing that Tower said was: "Marine XXXX, say you intentions." To which came the reply of a guy who had been working his ass off for much too long: "I'm gonna get this sumbitch on the ground, shut it down and go have a beer!"

The Approach controllers at San Diego Approach were usually pretty cool guys. One time we were approaching the southern check-in point, about 35 miles southwest of the coast (called Sierra), when we heard the agitated voice of an A-4 driver from VC-7 (back when the Navy had active duty composite squadrons to drag the gunnery rag and play bogie for ships): "Approach, Jackstay 2 at Sierra with a hydraulic failure. I'm requesting immediate landing at Miramar."
The controller in a very calm voice replied: "Roger Jackstay 2, head 060, descend and maintain one-one-thousand, squawk 4262." (Which was pretty much vectors and altitudes that everyone was given on checkin). The A-4 drivers voice went up a couple of notches with "No, you don't understand.... I've got a hydraulic failure.!" To which the controller calmly replied: "Roger, Jackstay 2, You're number TWO in the emergency pattern following a Topgun T-38 with a generator failure. Head 060 and maintain one-one-thousand."

I always enjoyed the space shuttle approach to the initial from 16k abeam the field. wizky beajy direct.....field in sight.......field still in sight.....okay we are on top of the field......still in sight but so is el centro....
.ok leaving 16 thousand for 2100..... :)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That's like a trip to Carolla's falafel nazi. No! Can not have! Hilarious.
+1 for ANYthing Adam Carolla (there's that capitalization again...). Smartest dumb guy I've ever heard. Grew up on Loveline with him and Dr. Drew over probably 7 years in LA, but his podcast is quite good as well, especially WITH cursing.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Anyone who flew the old Butterfly gunnery pattern in training knows if your course was slightly convergent as you ran by the banner/tractor that the tractor would end up flying through your jetwash, known as "thumping the tractor." Over heard one day when the XO of VT-23 was pulling the banner:
Tractor: 3, you thump the tractor again and you're going home.
-3: WTF (not abbreviated) is that ---hole talkin' about. I didn't thump him!
Loooooooong silent pause
Tractor: 3, just go home.

Renegade One

None
I always enjoyed the space shuttle approach to the initial from 16k abeam the field. wizky beajy direct.....field in sight.......field still in sight.....okay we are on top of the field......still in sight but so is el centro....
.ok leaving 16 thousand for 2100..... :)
They only gave that to aircraft and pilots they knew could "hack it". Consider yourself lucky.

Future UAS "pilots" will probably START their approach from out El Centro way...

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
We recently had a form solo that had the following exchange with North Whiting Tower:

Solo: North Tower, request south field penetration (while he's lined up for runway 5, flying away from South Whiting)

Tower: South field penetration approved....(with a long pause to try and figure out why the form flight would need to fly over south field)

Solo: Tower, uh, never mind, thanks for the penetration...

Tower: (callsign) you're welcome (to the sound of uproarious laughter in the background in the tower)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I told this a few years ago.. But tacan was not working on the Enterprise. "99, Fathers down on mother..."

Used to get to say this every now and then while flying off single-spot ships. Those don't always do a great job maintaining their gear. Not only that, but usually (luckily??) it's just aviators and one or two odd folks from the ship's crew even paying attention to the land/launch freq.

Additional related phrases and misused brevity words may have included, "Interrogative/clarify: is Father sour on Mother? Is Father bent over Mother??? Do you require assistance?" Everything is funnier way out in the middle of the ocean. :D

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Used to get to say this every now and then while flying off single-spot ships. Those don't always do a great job maintaining their gear. Not only that, but usually (luckily??) it's just aviators and one or two odd folks from the ship's crew even paying attention to the land/launch freq.

Additional related phrases and misused brevity words may have included, "Interrogative/clarify: is Father sour on Mother? Is Father bent over Mother??? Do you require assistance?" Everything is funnier way out in the middle of the ocean. :D

My favorite funny radio story, reminded by the JOPA facebook Memes - flying with the XO, at about 2 am in the NAG making sure the oil plats don't float away. I would regularly tune up bridge to bridge and maritime guard every so often just to hear who was talking to who out there, especially if we weren't talking to anyone. XO comes back up and throws his headset on just as the infamous Filipino monkey starts screaming on BTB.

"ITS DEEEE FILIPINO MONKEY! WHERE IS MY BANANA! AAAHHH AHHH EEE OOO OOO! MY BANANA IS IN YOUR MOTHER'S ASSSSS!

He looks at me, and I'm thinking ruh roh...this can't go well.

All he says is "that fucking monkey has been out here since I was a rescue swimmer on my first deployment in 1992...i hate that goddamn monkey."

MasterBates

The Filipino Monkey has a cousin in the Baltic. The Malaysian Monkey.

I'd have to have BTB up for ROV operations, and I'd hear him about 2-3 times a night sitting off Bornholm.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, this one was on me. TINS: I was a T-2 SNA at NAS Meridian just completing FAM Stage. Although I had completed Instrument Ground School, I had never flown an instrument hop ever. But my zero experience did not deter my Instructor who wanted to go on an XC to New York City with three other instructors and students for a long and wild weekend. I think the flight brief - because we were late - was on climb-out over ICS.

Climbing out of Meridian under the bag, I was nervous and rough. As we passed into the high altitude sector, my instructor told me to check in with Center. From ground school I knew there were two entirely different check-in reports depending upon whether in a radar or non-radar environment. There were mnemonic crutches for each, but I couldn’t remember them. To say I didn’t have a clue is an understatement!

So my check-in went like this:

Me: “Atlanta Center, this is Navy November Fox XXX…”
CNTR: “Go ahead, NFXXX.”
Long pause… [And heavy breathing]
CNTR [Now with obvious impatience]: “Go ahead, NFXXX!”
Long pause… [And more heavy breathing]
CNTR [Now obviously pissed!]: “Go ahead, NFXXX!!!!!”
[With no pause now.]
Me: “Atlanta Center, this is Navy November Fox XXX…ah…. ah…. I think my instructor wants to talk to you.”

PS: Several months later, I heard this story in the O’Club. I slipped quietly away as all wondered who the dumb-shit was.