• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fun with engineers

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I just want to start out by saying that I love engineers; they are smart, make great officers, have the whole nuclear thing figured out and I respect that; however, the sense of humor could be refined a little.

Case in point. I was with several applicants and sub-nuke bubba in San Diego for a recruiting trip. We were having dinner and joking around a bit. In jest, I asked the good LT about refueling a reactor, " I understand that an atomic reaction is self sustaining and all. But what about when you just put the material in, how do you get it started? Aren't those atoms really small? Wouldn't the first one be hard to split; I mean you can't even see it?" Without missing a beat, LT jumps in about half-life and the decay process being ongoing. It was great. Everybody else got the joke but we just let him go; I nodded and smiled and never let him in on it.

I try to explain the "I believe button" to my engineering recruits but I don't think they will trust it.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I was with several applicants and sub-nuke bubba in San Diego for a recruiting trip. We were having dinner and joking around a bit. In jest, I asked the good LT about refueling a reactor, " I understand that an atomic reaction is self sustaining and all. But what about when you just put the material in, how do you get it started? Aren't those atoms really small? Wouldn't the first one be hard to split; I mean you can't even see it?" Without missing a beat, LT jumps in about half-life and the decay process being ongoing.quote]

Haha...that's an engineer for ya. I could do the same thing. I am after all, designing the EPS for our spacecraft using an RTG power source...radioactive decay here we come...

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
joboy_2.0;278829 Haha...that's an engineer for ya. I could do the same thing. I am after all said:
why are you dong that? I heard that the RTG power source is going away. Something about the specs on the inline rg assembly.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
why are you dong that? I heard that the RTG power source is going away. Something abou the specs on the inline rg assembly.

Nope. There are many new design concepts for newer RTG designs, especially using thermodynamic cycles (ie-stirling). Also newer more efficient thermocouples. MSL in 2009 is going to be using the newest "MMRTG"

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Nope. There are many new design concepts for newer RTG designs, especially using thermodynamic cycles (ie-stirling). Also newer more efficient thermocouples. MSL in 2009 is going to be using the newest "MMRTG"

Are you serious? I thought that the "NEW" , not necessarily better, thermocouples were breaking up faster than the past generation. Don't believe it about MSL in '09 using the newest "MMRTG". Cost overuns could make impractical.

BTW, are they still using O-rings on the boosters? Those can really get cracked if you don't put oil on them.

joboy_2.0

Contributor
Are you serious? I thought that the "NEW" , not necessarily better, thermocouples were breaking up faster than the past generation. Don't believe it about MSL in '09 using the newest "MMRTG". Cost overuns could make impractical.

BTW, are they still using O-rings on the boosters? Those can really get cracked if you don't put oil on them.

I'm no expert about O-rings, but they are quite effective and serve their purpose well, as long as safety standards are met. Challenger was pushed forth to launch by PR executives (read: scumbags) who wanted NASA to look "good" to the public to get more funding. As a result, temperature mins were exceeded and the otherwise functional O-rings became brittle and failed.

This is just an example, but a good one. Engineering limitations are just those: limitations. Things work fine when you operate them properly.

I am a little dubious of the MMRTG's projected 2009 launch but apparently it is in full swing to be space-qualified as we speak. (last I read it should be tested in 2004). The new SRG is hoping to get 20-25% efficiency.

As for the new TEUs, the materials don't necessarily have to be new or untested. The technology they are working on is linking different materials in series along the p-n legs in order to optimize each temperature range, yielding a higher efficiency instead of just one material for each leg. Lowering resistivity and increasing thermal conductivity also yields higher efficiency.

In addition to this, you can layer TEU with thermo-voltaic cells to utilize more of the thermal power. This type of layering can increase efficiency two-fold, so I wouldn't close the door on RPS technology. There is a LOT of research and funding going into it these days.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I'm no expert about O-rings, but they are quite effective and serve their purpose well, as long as safety standards are met. Challenger was pushed forth to launch by PR executives (read: scumbags) who wanted NASA to look "good" to the public to get more funding. As a result, temperature mins were exceeded and the otherwise functional O-rings became brittle and failed.

This is just an example, but a good one. Engineering limitations are just those: limitations. Things work fine when you operate them properly.

I am a little dubious of the MMRTG's projected 2009 launch but apparently it is in full swing to be space-qualified as we speak. (last I read it should be tested in 2004). The new SRG is hoping to get 20-25% efficiency.

As for the new TEUs, the materials don't necessarily have to be new or untested. The technology they are working on is linking different materials in series along the p-n legs in order to optimize each temperature range, yielding a higher efficiency instead of just one material for each leg. Lowering resistivity and increasing thermal conductivity also yields higher efficiency.

In addition to this, you can layer TEU with thermo-voltaic cells to utilize more of the thermal power. This type of layering can increase efficiency two-fold, so I wouldn't close the door on RPS technology. There is a LOT of research and funding going into it these days.

You can get less resistance and higher conductivity with ball bearing fetzer valves. It's all ball bearings these days.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^^^^Funny as hell. Please don't tell me you guys rehearsed that.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
I am a little dubious of the MMRTG's projected 2009 launch but apparently it is in full swing to be space-qualified as we speak. (last I read it should be tested in 2004).

Ok, really, you think. Perhaps you should look it up online to see if it really was or not, not going to change 2 years after the fact...