• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fun Meter no longer pegged

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Helo Guy said:
Bottom line there’s a job to do so suck it up! I’m sorry for families but you had to realize that this could happen. Some Army and Air Force guys have been deployed three out of the last four years.

Problem is, it seems some jobs are a simple waste. Our navy folks fill voids for what? We send people here or there just to fill a void, it's an ineffective use of personnel. I'm "sucking up" another cruise in my DH tour because we don't have enough O-4's. We have to borrow O-3's from our sister squadron to cruise. Instead of sending a guy/gal IA, why not fill a void in the Navy first. It's not like Navy types haven't had time away from family. That's what the Navy is known for, wartime or not. I did an IA type job back in 2000. Sent to S. Korea for 2 months between two 6 month deployments. A complete and utter waste of time.

S.O.B.

pilot
O.K, O.K, OK……. You guys got me. All I could think about on my three hour FAM today was how much my service pales in comparison to the dude that spends twelve hours a day on his computer. Over 1500 posts, You da man! I realized I didn’t need this shore duty trash. I'll get to know the kids after my DH tour if there's time. Whatever. Anyway, I couldn’t take it anymore so I called the detailer and said “give me your worst”. I mean, I want a job that’s completely useless and it better not have anything to do with flying. Fuels Officer in the dessert would be perfect. Lets all do it, wouldn’t that be cool. The guys from AWs could dazzle the folks in Millington. Awesome! Who’s with me?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
S.O.B. said:
If this is true, seek help you have serious issues. :confused:
I'm a SWO. I belong at sea, not living with sand fleas. Been to Bahrain three times. Except when I was drunk, it sucked.

Helo Guy

A DET there is probably a little different. Per diem, plush villas, Gulf Air Girls. Oh I almost forgot, A BEER EVERY NIGHT……Priceless. Enjoy the Boat I’ll take Bahrain

Helo Guy

I saw an email today that had at least a hundred Aviators, NFOs and Pilots who had orders to ADVANCED CONVOY SCHOOL.. 365 days in country with TAD before and after. Has anyone seen this? Is this just the first of many?

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Helo Guy said:
I saw an email today that had at least a hundred Aviators, NFOs and Pilots who had orders to ADVANCED CONVOY SCHOOL.. 365 days in country with TAD before and after. Has anyone seen this? Is this just the first of many?

The total is 292 people. Enlisted, officer. Aviators, surface, subs. This is a task force in support of the Army (and that is all I'll say here). Everybody is gong to NMPS Norfolk for processing, FT Jackson for training and the aforementioned Convoy School for advanced training. This is just in country training and does not imply that you will be driving a truck.

I leave 19 March.

S.O.B.

pilot
Naval Aviators will make excellent convoy school students. It’s a perfect fit when you think about it. They’ll probably even give the FOs some stick time.

Things are getting bizarre. We’re getting CWOs to fly planes and Pilots to drive trucks. :eek:

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
S.O.B. said:
Naval Aviators will make excellent convoy school students. It’s a perfect fit when you think about it. They’ll probably even give the FOs some stick time.

Things are getting bizarre. We’re getting CWOs to fly planes and Pilots to drive trucks. :eek:

Read my post. Everyone gets the Advanced Convoy Training in Kuwait. It consists of live fire training and heavy weapons use. That way, if you are in a convoy that gets hit, you are an assett, not a liability.

If you want to know what we are doing over there, PM me you SIPRNET address and I'll tell you. If you don't have a SIPRNET address, you don't have the clearance to know.:banghead_

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
SteveG75 said:
Read my post. Everyone gets the Advanced Convoy Training in Kuwait. It consists of live fire training and heavy weapons use. That way, if you are in a convoy that gets hit, you are an assett, not a liability.

If you want to know what we are doing over there, PM me you SIPRNET address and I'll tell you. If you don't have a SIPRNET address, you don't have the clearance to know.:banghead_
√ PM

bobbybrock

None
I think it is pretty much a shizat sandwich all the way around. I've seen army officers, W-1 through 0-3 doing some pretty crazy duties.
IMHO I think it is crazy to have a NAVAL AVIATOR or NFO drving in a convoy in Iraq. There are others around to fill that void.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
bobbybrock said:
I think it is pretty much a shizat sandwich all the way around. I've seen army officers, W-1 through 0-3 doing some pretty crazy duties.
IMHO I think it is crazy to have a NAVAL AVIATOR or NFO drving in a convoy in Iraq. There are others around to fill that void.

I'm still wondering why we can't fill the voids in our own squadron while Naval aviators are being sent elsewhere. We've got 2 different pilots that just did back to back 6 month sea duty tours and one might do 3 sea tours due to a lack of replacement pilots. I'm not saying it's because of IA but damn, help our service first.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I know virtually none of you will agree with me ... but in wartime (?) .... we NEED the warm bodies to had from .... a draft.