• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

    Go here:

    Edit Account Details and Profile

For those who are voluntold or are going to volunteer for Vance AFB flight training!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
ACurry said:
I've talked to several Navy Instructors here at Vance regarding Adavanced for P-3 selects here. THe answer I've been given is that there is no reason for them sending P-3 selects here since the AF does heavy training on T-1 Jayhawks. So as far from what I've been told. P-3 selects will NOT be going to Vance for Advanced Training. Nice rumor though.
Another person got selected to go to vance this last week... wheter theres any real reason to send them to vance for T-1s or not, looks like its happening anyway.
 

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
Not sure why we would need beta in a plane that stops in less than 3k' of runway no problem. I have also never had to even worry about running out of fuel in it so the gas guage is never an issue. As far as blowing tires goes, no one has in 6 months that I have been here, nor have they warned us of the dangers that they easily will.
Can you stop in under 3000 without getting a hot brake problem? I only ask cause the main issue of no beta deals with Whiting field operations and its OLFs. Do you guys regularly stop in less than 3000? Less than 2000? I'm curious.
 

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Fly Navy said:
Can you stop in under 3000 without getting a hot brake problem? I only ask cause the main issue of no beta deals with Whiting field operations and its OLFs. Do you guys regularly stop in less than 3000? Less than 2000? I'm curious.

We normally have no need at Moody to stop in less than 8k', but we could easily do 3000 with out hot brakes. Heavy weight no flap landing distance is usually 2700ish, but we are req'd 4000' min
 

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
We normally have no need at Moody to stop in less than 8k', but we could easily do 3000 with out hot brakes. Heavy weight no flap landing distance is usually 2700ish, but we are req'd 4000' min
Interesting. See, Whiting Field may have 6000 foot runways, but they are effectively 3000 feet long due to split-field ops. At the end of that 3000 feet is usually an aircraft or a section getting ready to takeoff.
 

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
jg5343 said:
I have also never had to even worry about running out of fuel in it so the gas guage is never an issue. As far as blowing tires goes, no one has in 6 months that I have been here, nor have they warned us of the dangers that they easily will.
I really don't just make this stuff up. The whole "tires blowing up" thing is based on seeing several blown up tires that resulted from improper braking technique. It happens when people try to put the brakes on at high speed in order to make a taxiway in the middle of the runway, or like bunk said, when using the rudders.
Just because you never worry about running out of fuel doesn't necissairly mean that a more readable gas gauge wouldn't be helpful. I have landed several times with the low fuel master caution light going off (planned that way), but in those cases it is helpful to be able to gnat's ass fuel calculations.
 

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
"Another person got selected to go to vance this last week... wheter theres any real reason to send them to vance for T-1s or not, looks like its happening anyway."

To recent Navy VAFB grads, having dodged the first Vance bullet, is there any sense at all in throwing myself in front of the second? More specifically, though I've PMed a couple guys about P-3s and the current pros/cons of that community, does anyone think that where you go for advanced training might make a difference in the RAG (since we've basically shown that primary doesn't)? I like OK just fine, but if the Navy guys at the FRS are gonna eyeball me as a weirdo for going to JSUPT after primary, well...
 

ACurry

Thank God for Kidney Stone Medical Waivers
We just ahd a meeting with the OG this week, and now the higher ups are starting to send a small number of people selected for P-3s here to vance. But whats another 6 months in vance after Phase 1 and 2?
 

zab1001

Well-Known Member
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
highlyrandom said:
does anyone think that where you go for advanced training might make a difference in the RAG (since we've basically shown that primary doesn't)? I like OK just fine, but if the Navy guys at the FRS are gonna eyeball me as a weirdo for going to JSUPT after primary, well...
No one will care. A firehose is a firehose. Just don't show up in an ascot.
 

ACurry

Thank God for Kidney Stone Medical Waivers
Word on the street here is that there hasn't been a Jet select from here in almost 1 year. Sounds kinda of strange to me, but I guess that just betters my chances for P-3s.
 

FLY_USMC

Well-Known Member
pilot
There's so much stuff wrong with the original fellas post I honestly don't know where to start..so I won't. But just for clarification, never have I had to memorize notes warning and cautions, you only have to understand them because many of the general knowledge questions are base off them. Instructor? All that I have met are not only really good guys, but totally receptive to "hey sir, I have a question about this?" The only thing that stinks is calling FAIPS sir, which isn't ever required, but I do it out of respect that they are in a leadership/working/boss position where they deserve respect. Besides, most are fresh out of T-38's or have been within the past year or two and know their respective platform inside and out. No one is intimidating, not even the Flight Commanders, if you think they are, you are a pussy and have never had someone with some testicles criticize you. Finally, Standup is cake! Why, because it doesn't count towards anything for Navy/Marine Corps. So honestly, who cares how you do, let the AF guys sweat it out.
 

BOMBSonHAWKEYES

Registered User
pilot
FLY_USMC said:
There's so much stuff wrong with the original fellas post I honestly don't know where to start..so I won't. But just for clarification, never have I had to memorize notes warning and cautions, you only have to understand them because many of the general knowledge questions are base off them. Instructor? All that I have met are not only really good guys, but totally receptive to "hey sir, I have a question about this?" The only thing that stinks is calling FAIPS sir, which isn't ever required, but I do it out of respect that they are in a leadership/working/boss position where they deserve respect. Besides, most are fresh out of T-38's or have been within the past year or two and know their respective platform inside and out. No one is intimidating, not even the Flight Commanders, if you think they are, you are a pussy and have never had someone with some testicles criticize you. Finally, Standup is cake! Why, because it doesn't count towards anything for Navy/Marine Corps. So honestly, who cares how you do, let the AF guys sweat it out.
I went to vance too. What this guy says is dead on. No siestas on the beach. Plenty of great flying. Long work days.
 

Gatordev

Well-Known Member
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Are you guys sure? I mean, I'm sure we can beat this to death for another 5 pages....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top