• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

    Go here:

    Edit Account Details and Profile

For those who are voluntold or are going to volunteer for Vance AFB flight training!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
gatordev said:
Are you guys sure? I mean, I'm sure we can beat this to death for another 5 pages....
As much as I would love to go for some AW record, yes, I am sure.:D
 

reapergm

Member
I think Im the only one that actually is looking forward to Vance. Everyone complains about it around here, but its all guys who havent even gotten through API yet. Theres such a serious stigma. Am I the only one who couldnt give 2 $hits about the beach? Honestly... I dont even go to the one here. The biggest gripe I get day in and out.. "but.. you have to study like 12 hours a day.. they treat you like dirt (candidates)...and its the Air Force." This coming from Marine 2Lts who really havent had any interaction with Air Force. The studying is what appeals to me. Im admittedly not one of those people who is good at studying on my own. I swear I have ADD. So 12 hours of forced study is awesome. Stand ups just keep you on your studies... yet another good thing in my opinion. The other thing that I look forward to is the aircraft. T-6 is a badass plane, and the T-37 seems like a good time as well. And right on to FLY USMC.. Marines should be used to a good deal of being peed on and having your @ss chewed. Thats when the phrase "suck it up" comes into my mind.
So my deal is.. people can give me whatever crap they want about how my choice might be the wrong one and Im making a mistake. I personally like the structure and think Ill do just fine.
Whoever is there.. see you March 11th.
 

reapergm

Member
Oh yeah.. the reason I posted that in the first place is because some blue falcon went UA last week (as Im sure all the Marines reading this know). He was slotted for Vance. Rumor has it, that was a factor in his absence.
 

KBayDog

Well-Known Member
reapergm said:
This coming from Marine 2Lts who really havent had any interaction with Air Force.
Already talking like the Air Force - it's "2ndLt," not "2Lt." :D

In any event, good on you for not caring what anyone thinks, but there's no need to defend yourself. If you feel the structure is for you, than so be it. Different strokes, right?

Just a few things: The Turbo Weenie is a blast to fly, too. Not the sexiest of color schemes, but you definitely know which bird is yours when you do a cross-country flight to BFE. (Not KBFE, just BFE ;) )

Also, while stand-up EPs force you to think on your feet, there is a lot of educational value when you get the dreaded simulated chip light, take 15 minutes to set up for a picture-perfect PEL, and then get a simulated engine failure as you make your turn from Low Key. That said, you'll get plenty of "stand-up EPs" out of nowhere in the Navy system (while you're walking down the hall, headed out to the airplane, etc.), and you'll be expected to spit out the indications, procedures, notes, warnings, and cautions.

Finally, just because we're "used to a good deal of being peed on and having (our) @ss(es) chewed" doesn't mean that we have to be treated that way. I was never treated as anything other than a professional officer undergoing training by my squadron while in Primary. When I did well, they let me know it, and when I stumbled, they busted their asses to make sure I got back on my feet.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
 

reapergm

Member
KBayDog said:
Already talking like the Air Force - it's "2ndLt," not "2Lt." :D
Ha, very well, note taken.

KBayDog said:
Finally, just because we're "used to a good deal of being peed on and having (our) @ss(es) chewed" doesn't mean that we have to be treated that way. I was never treated as anything other than a professional officer undergoing training by my squadron while in Primary. When I did well, they let me know it, and when I stumbled, they busted their asses to make sure I got back on my feet.
True, true. Yeah, youre right... we've gone through that in TBS, nice to not have to go through it again. And to each his own style and preference of learning. That last line you have there is my only worry, I hope that they try to help their students when they mess up and not decide to weed them out.
Ill definitely keep everyone posted on here.

-2nd Lt Reaper
 

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
Being Navy a student in the 8th right now, the main thing I can say is that your experience at Vance will depend quite a bit on which flight you end up with. For those that don't know, a "flight" is an air force organizational unit. In this case, a flight consists of several IP's and about 12 students. Flight commanders have a lot of leeway in how they run things. My flight has a very relaxed atmosphere, while some others are not so relaxed. As far as memorizing notes, warnings and cautions, that seems to depend on your flight commander as well. My flight didn't have to memorize them, while the other flight in my class did.

Don't think that you'll have an easier or harder time in primary just because you come to Vance. Some people just react differently to the air force. Also, don't worry about not having any fun at Vance. Even the air force hasn't yet been able to take all the fun out of flying the T-6.

Don't make your decision about coming to Vance based on hearsay from API. It seems that most of the kids at API that had anything to say about it really had no idea what they were talking about. Get a hold of someone who's already here and get some legitimate opinions.

I'm still glad I came to Vance and I'd do it again. Now I'm off to study for the "ooh, I'm so scared the air force is going to 'bring on the pain'" weather exam.
 

KBayDog

Well-Known Member
larbear said:
As far as memorizing notes, warnings and cautions, that seems to depend on your flight commander as well. My flight didn't have to memorize them, while the other flight in my class did.
That's good that you didn't have to memorize the notes, cautions, and warnings. They're not that important, anyway. :icon_roll
 

130Gunner

Registered User
Whoa there. From the life that insists on taking simple words and turning them into 2 paragraph gibberish (buklkhead instead of wall, starboard instead of right, and what the hell is a geedunk?) there isn't a lot of room to talk about "2Lt." Not really sure how that could be mistaken for anything other than second lieutenant, but whatever.

There's good and bad about both programs, but sitting in API and waiting to class up at Whiting listening to guys who have been in the military all of about 20 minutes bitch incessantly about stand up EP's is ridiculous.

Grow a set.

"When I did well, they let me know it, and when I stumbled, they busted their asses to make sure I got back on my feet."

What makes you think this is unique to the Navy? Guess what - its the military. You screw up, you're gonna hear about it. Do it well, you're gonna know. I didn't ask for UPT at a Navy base, but I'm happy I'm here and grateful for the opportunity to fly. Sure there are a lot of things that aggravate the hell out of me, but I'll be back in a few months and away from it. I poke fun with my classmates about stuff and they do the same, but some folks should draw the line at talking mounds of BS about stuff they don't know anything about.
 

reapergm

Member
Funny, just today I was standing looking at the API board. The SSgt said to a few people standing there that if they want to start up right away, theres some Vance slots opening up. With that everyone started mentioning the stand EPs and how Vance sucks. Funny thing.. all 4 of the Lts just arrived to PCola from Quantico. Stigma. Stupid.
 

130Gunner

Registered User
What I find funny is that guys will talk about not wanting to go to Vance because of the nightmare of standup EP's and how it's making it difficult for no reason. Then turn around in the same breath and talk about how Navy training is better because its harder to do EP's in the plane. :D
 

KBayDog

Well-Known Member
130Gunner said:
Whoa there. From the life that insists on taking simple words and turning them into 2 paragraph gibberish (buklkhead instead of wall, starboard instead of right, and what the hell is a geedunk?) there isn't a lot of room to talk about "2Lt." Not really sure how that could be mistaken for anything other than second lieutenant, but whatever.

There's good and bad about both programs, but sitting in API and waiting to class up at Whiting listening to guys who have been in the military all of about 20 minutes bitch incessantly about stand up EP's is ridiculous.

Grow a set.

"When I did well, they let me know it, and when I stumbled, they busted their asses to make sure I got back on my feet."

What makes you think this is unique to the Navy? Guess what - its the military. You screw up, you're gonna hear about it. Do it well, you're gonna know. I didn't ask for UPT at a Navy base, but I'm happy I'm here and grateful for the opportunity to fly. Sure there are a lot of things that aggravate the hell out of me, but I'll be back in a few months and away from it. I poke fun with my classmates about stuff and they do the same, but some folks should draw the line at talking mounds of BS about stuff they don't know anything about.
:weeping_1 Thank you for setting me straight, good Sir. I had no clue that "You screw up, you're gonna hear about it. Do it well, you're gonna know." After all, I've only been in the military for all of about 20 minutes. I will heed your sage advice and "grow a pair."
 

130Gunner

Registered User
Well, that was impressive. I'll type more slowly this time.

The "been in the military all of 20 minutes" comment, if you would like to go back and read it again - was directed at the kids waiting around at API.

And if you have experience in the military longer than about 20 minutes, exactly where was it that being told you were screwing up/doing it right wasn't noted?
 

p1nky1298

Death Dealers
Vance is in no comparison to TBS. Take it from somebody who has actually experienced both, and that is obviously not you. I'm at Vance right now and yea it is harder than Navy training, but it's not that bad. And it has a lot of advantages like getting a completely different aspect of how to fly. And it will make you better when you go back to the Navy way to train. It's 5 months of hard work, but if you can suck it up, you will be a better pilot for it.
 

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
p1nky1298 said:
Vance is in no comparison to TBS. Take it from somebody who has actually experienced both, and that is obviously not you. I'm at Vance right now and yea it is harder than Navy training, but it's not that bad. And it has a lot of advantages like getting a completely different aspect of how to fly. And it will make you better when you go back to the Navy way to train. It's 5 months of hard work, but if you can suck it up, you will be a better pilot for it.
Curious, how long ago did you complete primary at vance?
 

squeeze

Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
p1nky1298 said:
I'm at Vance right now and yea it is harder than Navy training, but it's not that bad. And it has a lot of advantages like getting a completely different aspect of how to fly. And it will make you better when you go back to the Navy way to train. It's 5 months of hard work, but if you can suck it up, you will be a better pilot for it.
How do you surmise that Vance is harder than "the Navy way to train," since you have obviously not done both? Oh, you're just talking out of your ego-inflated ass? Sounds like the Air Force way alright.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top