• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For the new folks, this is why we do not speculate on mishaps...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Not that this doesn't suck.....but what does this have to do with causal factors of a mishap?

This same type thing happened to my unit last deployment. Two lucky things kept it from being this bad: the wife didn't understand English well enough to get what our dumbass was saying, and more importantly, our wounded Marine didn't die. We thought he was going to.

If I could have legally beaten the offending Marine, I would have.

Instead he got maxed out at office hours and ADSEP'd.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
IIRC, the whole "don't discuss causal factors" thing stems from the fact that this board is open (not sure if indexed by google, though) and could be quoted in Navy Times or something like that. You know, "Harrier Dude, a frequent poster on the Naval Aviation site airwarriors.com, stated that it looked like the engine ingested some FOD" or some other equally worthless (to us) statement that can be blown way out of proportion.

tl;dr - not a lot of potential upside to speculating about mishaps, tons of potential downside.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I got all that, and I agree to a large extent. I just don't see how the attached story has anything to do with speculating on mishap causes.

A total douchebag went VFR direct to a widow. Totally unacceptable.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think he's confusing "speculating on causal factors" with posting things like "my buddy in that squadron said that he was OK," and thus opening up THAT whole can of worms.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
On the other hand, sometimes there is a judgment call. Do you get weird calls from family or friends about military mishaps? "I'm so glad you answered. I heard a B-52 went down in the Indian Ocean or something? Was anyone you know on that plane?"

Do you even know where I work, Mom?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
On the other hand, sometimes there is a judgment call. Do you get weird calls from family or friends about military mishaps? "I'm so glad you answered. I heard a B-52 went down in the Indian Ocean or something? Was anyone you know on that plane?"

Do you even know where I work, Mom?

I don't mind that. What bugged me were the people my wife worked with that would call her anytime they heard about a mishap to ask if it was me. Not hugely useful, especially when the Pecos mishap went down, as I was airborne in a phrog that day.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I don't mind that. What bugged me were the people my wife worked with that would call her anytime they heard about a mishap to ask if it was me. Not hugely useful, especially when the Pecos mishap went down, as I was airborne in a phrog that day.

What if it was you? How is your wife supposed to answer that hours after your death?

Some people have ZERO common sense or tact.

phrogpilot73

Got a text message from my buddy on the morning of the Hornet mishap here in VA Beach. His text was "Dude, heard about the Hornet crash, are you guys ok?" My first thought was, WTF is he thinking? He's a former Hornet WSO and knows damn well PSW and I don't fly Hornets. Turned on the news, and it all made sense...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Not that this doesn't suck.....but what does this have to do with causal factors of a mishap?

My point was that there is a reason we don't comment on mishaps, deaths or other tragic events until 1) The proper folks have been notified and 2) Any investigation has run its course.

Just because folks think they have some inside knowledge is not a reason to start commenting publicly on AW or other such public forum.

In this case, someone with inside knowledge made that info made publicly and the wife found out before the military could formally notify her. Did this case have to do with a aviation mishap, no. But the point is you don't comment on issues like these until the formal procedures have run their course. Once the military has released the info into the public domain then folks are free to comment.

Inside knowledge doesn't just have to be regarding a death. It could be a mishap or other such incident going on inside Naval Aviation that while folks may be privy to the information, they shouldn't be sharing it on the internet for all the world to read.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Years ago I was standing the MAG duty during a fatal mishap (not my MAG, the other coast's MAG). I was still pretty busy with the MAG CO wanting updates frequently.

I was out tending to various matters (inspecting the barracks) when I got a page (pre-cell phones) about "an emergency".

I called the POC who wanted to know who, exactly, was killed because "he knew people in that squadron".

Well, no shit. Seeing as it was the RAG, we ALL knew people in that squadron. Considering this person was a new guy pilot, you would have thought that he would know that:

A) I wouldn't/couldn't release information like that, and

B) I was kind of busy and didn't appreciate the "emergency" requirement that he made up.

Don't be that guy.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
My point was that there is a reason we don't comment on mishaps, deaths or other tragic events until 1) The proper folks have been notified and 2) Any investigation has run its course.

Just because folks think they have some inside knowledge is not a reason to start commenting publicly on AW or other such public forum.

In this case, someone with inside knowledge made that info made publicly and the wife found out before the military could formally notify here. Did this case have to do with a aviation mishap, no. But the point is you don't comment on issues like these until the formal procedures have run their course. Once the military has released the info into the public domain then folks are free to comment.

Inside knowledge doesn't just have to be regarding a death. It could be a mishap or other such incident going on inside Naval Aviation that while folks may be privy to the information, they shouldn't be sharing it on the internet for all the world to read.

I totally get what you're saying, aside from "Any investigation has run its course. ".......

That can take months, and speculation won't change that.

In any event, allowing the notification of the next of kin to be done properly is the least we can do to help the bereaved cope with their loss. If that article helps somebody here learn what NOT to do, then that's great.

However, it doesn't appear from that article that it was speculation that notified the next of kin. A particular member of the platoon deliberately contacted the widow via Facebook and told her.

Also a douche move, but not the same as open speculation.

bluemarlin04

I don't understand how she got on the internet? That's not normal...or has it changed?

when we were in Iraq if something happened internet and comms were turned off til CACO could get to the NOK