• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

For the new folks, this is why we do not speculate on mishaps...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dumb question time, why the hell was the command/s posting stuff on Facebook and in the press before informing the affected families? Aren't the PAOs not supposed to make anything public until after notification or am I missing something? I certainly hope the ship has fixed its Facebok posting policy and the lesson spread amongst the fleet.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Dumb question time, why the hell was the command/s posting stuff on Facebook and in the press before informing the affected families? Aren't the PAOs not supposed to make anything public until after notification or am I missing something? I certainly hope the ship has fixed its Facebok posting policy and the lesson spread amongst the fleet.
I had the same question; I'd be curious to know where in the process it was decided it was OK to post this before the CACO team had been able to contact the NOK.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I told them I already knew [that there had been a mishap with HSC-6] and that I saw the news on Facebook. I had known for hours. They looked at me in disbelief.

Seriously, how do we (as a service) embrace this so freely when this happens...continually. I'm sure the PAO got the sign off, but doesn't anyone in the process confirm the CACO process? Obviously I have my answer.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
Definitely some issues with timing on this. No excuse for the miscues of course. I wonder if the time difference between the ship/NOK locations had anything to do with this? Social media can be a great tool - as long as it is used the right way.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Definitely some issues with timing on this. No excuse for the miscues of course. I wonder if the time difference between the ship/NOK locations had anything to do with this? Social media can be a great tool - as long as it is used the right way.

IIRC, when Teresa was notified, the other family involved still hadn't been informed, and weren't for many hours after she had her first CACO visit. I think the other family was spending the day at a theme park or something like that, and couldn't be reached. So it wasn't like there was a brief window where the ship was ahead of the game. It was hours and hours and hours ahead of when all the affected families were notified.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The team onboard the ship failed. Some of them failed while trying to do their best in a horrible situation, and that can be forgiven. Others failed because they don't get it, didn't ask, or don't care - that can't be so easily forgiven.

By the way - that blog post should be required reading at Command Leadership School and the Senior Listed Academy. It should be a mandatory read & initial item in every ready room. It should also be force fed to the Wives Cults, err, Clubs across the fleet.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
One of the many things that pisses me off in this situation (which is very personal for me) was that it took so long to inform the family. Without getting in to the details, they knew the pilots were deceased within 5 minutes and the "search" was somewhat of a formality at that point. How come it took so long to notify the family that anything had happened let alone that they believed they were deceased?