• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN FNAEB Appeal

Appeal the decision?

• Fuck yeah, "I have not yet begun to fight!"

Votes: 22 95.7%
  • Hell no, "Now go home and get your fucking shine box"

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Despite the Germanwings disaster, I'd still take two pilots over one for a commercial air flight. Two pilots/aircrew routinely catch each other's mistakes, whether it is as a wingman, or as two crew in the same aircraft. It's similar to engines in that having only one is inherently less safe, no matter how reliable that engine is. Reliability becomes the bigger issue with more lives on the line, or more expensive platforms. You wouldn't want to have an expensive single engine aircraft flying off the boat during blue water ops, would you? Oh, wait...

But seriously- with respect to single vs. two pilot aircraft, public acceptance is only part of the issue. While it can be statistically shown that single-piloted aircraft have a higher incident/mishap rate than two-piloted aircraft, seeing two pilots up front during boarding is also something that makes people flying commair "feel" safer, even if they don't know jack about aviation. So you have both public acceptance AND empirical evidence to overcome in order to get down to 1 person in the cockpit. In my opinion, that's not a reasonable barrier for airlines in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Although in that scenario, there were two pilots...

Yeah, and only one of them was in the cockpit...

Why couldn't the other pilot get in to stop him? Because of the built in feature of being able to override the cockpit lock from inside, the one that some good idea fairy thought would PREVENT a terrorist/mentally unstable person from getting to the flight deck, instead it protected him. There's also a reason why it takes more than one missile key turned in a silo to start ww3, you can plug any algorithm into a computer, it's a little harder to program solid judgement and common sense.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yeah, and only one of them was in the cockpit...

Why couldn't the other pilot get in to stop him? Because of the built in feature of being able to override the cockpit lock from inside, the one that some good idea fairy thought would PREVENT a terrorist/mentally unstable person from getting to the flight deck, instead it protected him. There's also a reason why it takes more than one missile key turned in a silo to start ww3, you can plug any algorithm into a computer, it's a little harder to program solid judgement and common sense.

But it is possible to screen for it though thousands of hours of logged flight time and years of experience. Do airlines have an eval/fitrep type process that might catch someone's slide into insanity, or is it just the "numbers" that govern everything?

Either way, I still think Germanwings was an extreme corner case and- as a whole- professional pilots are more sane than the general population in most places. At least sane in terms of regarding the sanctity of their lives and the lives of their passengers. We all know we're crazy in other ways ;)

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Totally agree it was an extreme outlier, but like you said before, it helps to have more than one brain involved sometimes (that whole checks and balances thing democracy is so keen on ). But all it takes is one unstable dude having a bad day, and who's to say having another guy up front hasn't given one or two depressed souls enough of a reality check not to try something irrational on a whim. It's not something I lose sleep over, but human factors have to be considered.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
anyone here have any experience with that?

I've been on and in oceans.

Seriously though, this is a good deal considering the circumstances (and presuming you desired to continue serving). Oceanography is part of the IDC and the folks I know who are oceanographers have been afforded some pretty impressive educational opportunities.

Lemons ---> Lemonade.

Last edited:

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep, lemonade it is, I don't know what they actually do.
Here are few things from google.

bilde