• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN FNAEB Appeal

Appeal the decision?

• Fuck yeah, "I have not yet begun to fight!"

Votes: 22 95.7%
  • Hell no, "Now go home and get your fucking shine box"

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Well I think that is good to hear that things have changed (for the better). It seemed a little arrogant to say "we don't want jet trash" especially when we are talking about guys who have excelled throughout training, basically passed the Hornet/Rhino FRS, but just couldn't get the hang of the boat. Glad guys are getting a fair shake nowadays.

Absolutely agree, it's good for the Navy guys. Marines... not so much if you want to stay in a cockpit.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
No flying anything with "Navy" painted on the side, I asked my Commodore about UAS,

If you are interested in UAS, there are some really good opportunities in the Air Guard right now. Money to fly Reapers, schwack shit heads from 1/2 way around the globe, go home every night, no boats, Launch/Recovery Element deployments for 90 days if you want to go.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
If you are interested in UAS, there are some really good opportunities in the Air Guard right now. Money to fly Reapers, schwack shit heads from 1/2 way around the globe, go home every night, no boats, Launch/Recovery Element deployments for 90 days if you want to go.

You'll be in the shit man, you'll have the stare.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3297330/

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'll be in the shit man, you'll have the stare.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3297330/

you-werent-there-man-you-werent-there.jpg

Tomcat_al200

pilot
I hadn't thought about UAS with the ANG, I will look into it, especially since some of the communities listed as being open for my POCR board don't actually have any openings. I wonder if any of that UAS time is logable?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I hadn't thought about UAS with the ANG, I will look into it, especially since some of the communities listed as being open for my POCR board don't actually have any openings. I wonder if any of that UAS time is logable?

Logable for the airlines? No.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I doubt anyone, civilian or military, would count UAV time for anything other than flying UAVs.

The FAA pilot license requirements are not for piloting skills, but for knowing how the airspace works, procedures, etc. If you're going to operate around manned aircraft, you have to know how the manned aircraft operate.

There is a big difference between flying a manned aircraft and flying a UAV.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I doubt anyone, civilian or military, would count UAV time for anything other than flying UAVs.

The FAA pilot license requirements are not for piloting skills, but for knowing how the airspace works, procedures, etc. If you're going to operate around manned aircraft, you have to know how the manned aircraft operate.

There is a big difference between flying a manned aircraft and flying a UAV.
HAL,
With all the automation going on in today's airlines, I'd say that the line is starting to blur. Certainly hands on flying is different than flying a UAV, but automation has brought the two very close to being the same.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I'm searching and will keep looking, but I found a study done just a few years ago that asked people the following question:

Assume that at some point in the future the majority of airlines began operating without manned crews (remotely operated), would you pay more for a ticket on a manned flight if that was still a limited option? The overwhelming number of people responded, yes, they would pay more to travel on a flight with people in the cockpit. Me too...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't see the FAA ever signing off on remotely-piloted passenger carriers. Maybe trash hauling (roboFedEx). But no one's ever going to be comfortable enough with having no one in the cockpit should Hal-9000 go stupid. Even if it's just a guy doing Sudoku while the robot does the whole gate-to-gate, there will always have to be someone there 'just in case'.

That being said - I've got about 500-ish hours of AVO time in my logbook. You don't have to be a pilot to fly UAS. You do need to know how it all works up there, since you're flying around manned aircraft, but it's literally point-and-click flying.

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
I'm searching and will keep looking, but I found a study done just a few years ago that asked people the following question:

Assume that at some point in the future the majority of airlines began operating without manned crews (remotely operated), would you pay more for a ticket on a manned flight if that was still a limited option? The overwhelming number of people responded, yes, they would pay more to travel on a flight with people in the cockpit. Me too...

I am sure if unmanned flights became as reliable as manned flights and became more cost efficient, people would begin to change their mind. Most new concepts, especially ones that could affect your life in a majorly negative way, are going to be initially feared and distrusted for understandable reasons.