• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN FNAEB Appeal

Appeal the decision?

• Fuck yeah, "I have not yet begun to fight!"

Votes: 22 95.7%
  • Hell no, "Now go home and get your fucking shine box"

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
HAL,
With all the automation going on in today's airlines, I'd say that the line is starting to blur. Certainly hands on flying is different than flying a UAV, but automation has brought the two very close to being the same.
Not almost the same, not even close. Flying a Level D simulator is really close to the real plane but even it is not the same. There is a reason there are minimum flight time requirements/aeronautical experience before a pilot can use a Level D sim for certification.

Further, although automation is nice, it is not required. Where I've flown (airline, corporate and fractional), rarely is automation used in the most critical phases of flight (other than FMS & flight directors). Further, most runways are not autoland runways so there is always some hand flying. A big reason they will never be the same is actually having your butt in the aircraft. If you fuck up, it's pain and death not "loss of signal".

I've never flown a UAV but I have observed them being flown. They rely on automation. A manned aircraft pilot who relies on automation is an accident waiting to happen. We use automation but we don't rely on it. Big difference.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I am sure if unmanned flights became as reliable as manned flights and became more cost efficient, people would begin to change their mind. Most new concepts, especially ones that could affect your life in a majorly negative way, are going to be initially feared and distrusted for understandable reasons.
Won't happen for a whole lot of reasons. Someday it might go to 1 pilot, but pax will never be unmanned.

Even if the systems were 100% fool proof, the insurance industry would never allow it.

But there is too much that can go wrong that a machine/computer can not react too. Things like electrical faults, etc.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Incidents like the Vegas BA 777 engine failure to aborted takeoff to cabin evac on the runway as the aircraft burned all in the time it took me to type out this post will keep the need for manned aviation travel.

Pilots get paid (sometimes big dollars, sometimes small dollars) to leverage their systems, airspace, weather etc. knowledge while flying the plane and making decisions to give the crew and pax the greatest chance of survival when things go wrong. Nearly everyone whose flown on a crewed aircraft experiencing an emergency situation understands this.

Do pilots get it wrong sometimes? Yes. But that # is far smaller than the amount where pilots get it right.

I get the feeling that pilots would be paid and promoted more by airline management and Navy promotion board members respectively if those individuals ever got to experience a flight where the shit hits the fan and they question their own survival before they kiss the ground they walk on when the flights over.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I get the feeling that pilots would be paid and promoted more by airline management and Navy promotion board members respectively if those individuals ever got to experience a flight where the shit hits the fan and they question their own survival before they kiss the ground they walk on when the flights over.
Heck, last time I thought I might end up in the drink, there was no "ground" to be had afterwards, just nonskid. :D And I'm no ace, just second schmuck from the left . . .

KilroyUSN

Prior EM1(SS) - LTJG - VP P-8 NFO COTAC
None
I guess I take the word "never" very literal. Who knows what aviation will look like 100+ years from now. To say that there is no way there will be unmanned pax flights in the our lifetime, I can bite. I am sure people used to say, "There will never be passenger aircraft, the insurance would kill their organization" or "call me old fashioned, but I like to have my feet or vehicle on the ground." :cool:

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This is more of a problem in Japan, Korea and 3rd world countries. But the answer is not more automation, especially to the extent of UAVs. The answer is ensuring pilots keep their stick & rudder skills up to speed.

As was stated in another post, automation can never take the place of on scene decision making in many emergency situations.

And I don't see how you think my post made your point.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a big difference between flying a manned aircraft and flying a UAV.

With all the automation going on in today's airlines, I'd say that the line is starting to blur.

A manned aircraft pilot who relies on automation is an accident waiting to happen.

And I don't see how you think my post made your point.

I didn't say that automation was the answer...but it is taking over the commercial airline business. My point is that there is A LOT of automation in commercial air from takeoff to landing a lot of pilots don't even touch the stick; similar to flying UAVs. Then there's this.

Tomcat_al200

pilot
Okay, My POCR package is in, and the OCM for AEDO says he doesn't think he can get another Quota for this year, so I threw a hail mary, listed NFO first. It doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to stay in, so if anyone has any expierence on the transition, I'd like to hear about it.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Well, if the Navy was smart they'd make you a Rhino WSO. However, we all know the Navy isn't always that adept at personnel management.

I think it's fucking stupid you're not an automatic P-8 transition.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I didn't say that automation was the answer...but it is taking over the commercial airline business. My point is that there is A LOT of automation in commercial air from takeoff to landing a lot of pilots don't even touch the stick; similar to flying UAVs. Then there's this.
You can not go from takeoff to landing without touching the stick.

You can go from shortly after takeoff to landing assuming that the airport has a certified autoland ILS and runway.

The problem is not when everything/all the automation works. The problem is when it doesn't. Things break.

That article does not really apply to U.S. airlines. Also, it's just an opinion. You need to quit taking everything you read as 100% fact.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Heck, last time I thought I might end up in the drink, there was no "ground" to be had afterwards, just nonskid. :D And I'm no ace, just second schmuck from the left . . .

You obviously didn't try to divert hard enough then if you ended up on non-skid... And if you were happy about it, the situation must have really been bad...

Zanklin

Oh the per diem you'll make...
pilot
Won't happen for a whole lot of reasons. Someday it might go to 1 pilot, but pax will never be unmanned.

Even if the systems were 100% fool proof, the insurance industry would never allow it.

But there is too much that can go wrong that a machine/computer can not react too. Things like electrical faults, etc.

I have taken an extremely unscientific poll from time to time when talking with people about aviation- most people (military/civilian- doesn't matter) would fly with 1 pilot, but nobody would fly with a fully automatic flight station. As soon as they figure out how to make it 1 pilot, its going to happen.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
I have taken an extremely unscientific poll from time to time when talking with people about aviation- most people (military/civilian- doesn't matter) would fly with 1 pilot, but nobody would fly with a fully automatic flight station. As soon as they figure out how to make it 1 pilot, its going to happen.

How many polls have you taken since this little incident?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanwings_Flight_9525

There's more things to consider than just automating stick and rudder skills and putting one guy up front, alone and unafraid...