• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FN Five SeveN (sic)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Why bother with a carbine in 5.7mm when you can get the only true semi-auto carbine.....

m1_carbine.jpg

Been there, done that several times ... but the real reason?? Just to try something "new", I guess ...

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
5.7 ar

Yeah, it's out there ... one example: AR Five Seven

It looks to me like someone trained on a black rifle would have a hell of a time changing magazines on that 5.7. I 'spose though that with 50 rounds at your disposal changing mags is going to be relatively infrequent. Also, is the magazine well sealed?

Anyways... what's the point of the 5.7 in an AR platform? Besides the extra 20 rounds, it seems you're tossing more expensive rounds downrange for no significant gain in performance v. 5.56x45mm. According to the Oraclewikipedia, "FN Herstal has stated that the SS190 round will easily penetrate protections that stop normal pistol rounds, but will not penetrate protections that stop the 5.56x45 mm NATO round such as Level III armor."

How did we produce two such beautiful rifles in the same time frame... M1... M1?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....How did we produce two such beautiful rifles in the same time frame... M1... M1?

'Cause the country had its shit together?? (in a relative sense)
Had the will??
Had its priorities straight??
Had a common purpose??
Could do something w/out computers??
Could do something w/out years of R&D??
Knew how to procure for military purposes??
None of the above??

Anyway .... :)

I don't know anything about the AR adaptation of the cartridge. As such, I'll probably eschew both the AR adaptation (and stick w/ 5.56x45mm) AND the P90 just 'cause I can't get the cartridge of choice AND it's possibly the most butt-ugly firearm I have seen to date. :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Lacking any meaningful input from anyone ... :D ... I went ahead and "pulled the trigger" ... no pun.

300px-Five-seveN_USG.jpg

AND ... I bit the bullet (pun) and ordered a whole bunch ... as in a WHOLE bunch ... of rounds, too.

Bite me Nancy Pelosi.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Lacking any meaningful input from anyone ... :D ... I went ahead and "pulled the trigger" ... no pun.

300px-Five-seveN_USG.jpg

AND ... I bit the bullet (pun) and ordered a whole bunch ... as in a WHOLE bunch ... of rounds, too.

Bite me Nancy Pelosi.

You mean....Bela Pelosi???

bela-pelosi.jpg

sodajones

Combat Engineer
I'm not getting the five-seven but I'm interested to see how it performs.

I do, however, plan on buying the FNP.40 SW as a Christmas gift to myself in honor of our new Commander in Chief (pending)

FNM0060mb.png

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Was thinking of getting the Five SeveN as well. Let me know what you think of it when it arrives.

Old NFO

None
Just don't ever run out of rounds A4...
I, however, went the OTHER direction! US marked Colt Model 1917 carried by a friend's Uncle when he was Deputy and later Sheriff of Caddo Parish down in Louisiana. .45 ACP in moon clips :) Since I just ordered 4000 more rounds of .45, I 'think' I'm good for a while:D

The second pic is a comparison between the 1917 and my G26 carry piece. It's a BIG pistol!

Attachments

• Model 17 w Moon left.jpg
    Model 17 w Moon left.jpg
    980.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Model 17 w G26.jpg
    Model 17 w G26.jpg
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 61

Old NFO

None
I've shot it and the P90 both, the Five Seven is a big honkin gun! Not concealable worth a damn, unless you're 6'8" and 300 lbs... Shoots okay, but ammo restrictions and price are gonna be a mess. P90, while it is butt ugly, is a fun little shooter! 50 round mags, compensator cut at 45 degrees, and pretty damn stable on full auto. Rounds tend to peter out at about 100 yards and fall into the dirt, but good close up accuracy (<50 yards). Easy to shoot semi auto, 3 round burst and full auto; just keep pulling the trigger back further :) THe one I shot was loaded up with an aimpoint and it pretty much shot POA/POI.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
OldNFO said:
I've shot it and the P90...
I handled a FiveseveN this weekend and shot it a little on an indoor range ... I LIKE it and in general I HATE plastic guns. But it's really light, very ergonomic friendly, the safety will require a little muscle-memory "retraining" on my part so more to follow .... but my FiveseveN's "in the mail" ... so's the ammo, the "LOTs" of ammo :D ... and it's not too expensive, if you know where to go and buy in quantity. I got the 50 round boxes @ $15.50/per ...

300px-Five-seveN_USG.jpg

... and yes, Dorothy ... the PS90 is also "in the mail" pending receipt of funds on the other end ... and ... *** breathless*** ... the radar is now trackin' a couple of FS2000's ...

fn_civil_p90.jpg

Range report on all to follow.

Funny ... I passed on the PS90 (sic --- the PS is the civie-semi-auto version of the P90) and the FS2000 @ 8-10 months ago when they were offered by the manufacturer @ at 20% special off the current price ... just 'cause I hated the way they looked.

Moral of the story: never say never ... :)

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
I buy more guns than a Somali khat dealer... :)

Can't believe you're getting a PS90 after your reaction above! Did you just start clicking randomly on the FN website and pick up the -2000 too!?

I can't wait until I "join up" and start knockin' down the big bucks... after all, A4's is doin all this purchasing on his pension: 1/2 1950's-era LT's pay. Right? Adjusted for inflation... I think I could buy a couple DDG's.