• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying Suspended At Vance

torpedo0126

For those of you on your way to Enid, flying has temporarily been suspended.

Vance has about ~1400 contractors (to ~400 active duty); most of which decided to go on strike today.

Apparently, when the company (or companies) that provides fuel, fire fighting etc. originally bid for the contract, the gave a huge underbid. They lost some money, and are now holding out for a more profitable settlement.

The AF has flown in some active duty fire fighters, but it is only enough support to cover base housing and what not--not enough to launch and recover aircraft.

On the plus side, I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico...:D

tk628

Electronic Attack Savant
pilot
HAHAHA... you comibine this with those crop circles you have to drive through to get on base, which were put in to the tune of $5 million to protect Vance from terrorism, how can you not just sit back and laugh!...

At least the contractors now know they hold the upper hand, way to blow the negotiations Air Force...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
This is why I fucking hate collective bargaining. No American in his right mind should put his paycheck ahead of the training of our military. Fuck those guys, fire their asses and find some new ones. Better yet, cancel their contract and bring in a bunch of undesignated Airmen and let them do it instead. The new A-Pool stash: Vance Fuel Pits...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is why I fucking hate collective bargaining. No American in his right mind should put his paycheck ahead of the training of our military. Fuck those guys, fire their asses and find some new ones. Better yet, cancel their contract and bring in a bunch of undesignated Airmen and let them do it instead. The new A-Pool stash: Vance Fuel Pits...

When I was a stud in Primary, the sim guys at Whiting (and later, Corpus) went on strike. I loved it...did all my primary sims in the aircraft, it was awesome. What was not awesome was that they settled by the time I started intermediate (back when they had it) and I couldn't make MIF in the sim. I hated those things as a student and I hated them as an IP. Sims suck!

Bevo16

pilot
...Fuck those guys, fire their asses and find some new ones. Better yet, cancel their contract and bring in a bunch of undesignated Airmen and let them do it instead. The new A-Pool stash: Vance Fuel Pits...

You got it. Unemployment is between 9.4 and 16% (depending on how deep you want to get into the statistics) right now, and these assholes are going to go on strike? What other job are they going to get in the middle of Oklahoma that is going to pay what they make? Other than catfish noodling and cooking meth, it's not like that place is in the heart of American industry.

The Navy is cutting their recruiting budget and goals because retention is at an all time high. The AF needs to cancel the contract, send a few guys TAD to cover the gap and make those jobs AD military. Then create a few billets to cover the short fall. Problem solved in 6 months and it will save millions.

torpedo0126

The AF needs to cancel the contract, send a few guys TAD to cover the gap and make those jobs AD military. Then create a few billets to cover the short fall. Problem solved in 6 months and it will save millions.

Actually, from what we've been told, I might have to give the AF props. We were told that the contract was negotiated by the DoD and NOT the AF. If the strike is not resolved quickly, AF 'said' they are going to step in and either pay more or invent a new solution.

However, that info was passed to us by a sim instructor, and not the Base Commander or anything...so I can't vouch for the validity of that.

Btw--the sim guys here are contracted through a different company and are still at work-.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
However, that info was passed to us by a sim instructor, and not the Base Commander or anything...so I can't vouch for the validity of that.

Key point there.....I stopped trying to pretend like I had any idea what was going on with the "big picture" long ago. Makes understanding senseless things like the flight schedule much less difficult :)

rookie7734

None
I remember when the Air Traffic Controllers called President Reagan's bluff...he fired their asses. That really gets peoples attention. Maybe a similar tatic here?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
I remember when the Air Traffic Controllers called President Reagan's bluff...he fired their asses. That really gets peoples attention. Maybe a similar tatic here?

I don't know, I think my all time favorite was the MLB umpire strike, really guys? Like they weren't expendable . . .

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I don't know, I think my all time favorite was the MLB umpire strike, really guys? Like they weren't expendable . . .

If you are a MLB fan, you'll know that major league umps aren't "expendable". For example: I watched a game 2 weeks ago where the homeplate ump was in his first game, he had just gotten called up from AAA. Both sides were arguing balls and strikes, one player was called safe at home and was clearly out, and a player from each team and both managers were ejected, all in one game! When one call can change the outcome of a game, you need guys that can make the right call. You can't hire a bunch of little league umpires off the streets and expect to maintain the integrity of the game.

But I'm sure there are other professions that have gone on strike and their services/skill set were perfectly expendable. :D

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
But I'm sure there are other professions that have gone on strike and their services/skill set were perfectly expendable. :D

You mean like the Okies who get paid wayyyy better than average in a shithole town in the middle of bumfuck to gas up planes and chock and chain? Talk about roasting the golden goose...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
This may surprise some of you, but I don't think anyone who works for 'tax dollars' -- either directly or via a gov't contract -- has the right to strike. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Especially if it affects readiness or training ...

If you work for UNCLE as a civilian -- you bid your contract & take what the contract says. If you don't like the results, don't sign the contract. If you want to 'collective bargain' for fun & profit -- go into the private sector, where labor negotiations are theoretically based on the profit/loss of the endeavor.

As far as civilian contractors and the military are concerned, in general ... I still like the days when Airman Jones launched my bird and Seaman-deuce Smith was mowing the lawn @ the Tower ... :)

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The real question is are they still making studs on the flight line come in for a 12 hour day... :banghead_:icon_rage