• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying CWO results?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
The picture is such; you have 8 years (+/-) of active service under your belt and you now have a shot at your dream of flying (the single reason you dragged your sorry ass into that recruiting office). You have a choice between going to OCS -or taking a commission under the Flying CWO pilot program, both for SNA. Knowing when it is all said and done and you are finally out of the FRS, how would you want to spend your last 10-12 years in the Navy? Wearing blue hashed bars and flying without worries of fighting tooth and nail for the almighty EP whilst constantly pushing to “fit in” with fellow officers in the wardroom hoping not to become another lost soul to some star’s shelved brainchild? (STA, LDO, etc….). Or go and get those pretty gold bars and blend with the crowd….What a pickle…..Thoughts?

Well, as a bubba who constantly looked for the EP and tried to "fit" in, I've actually really enjoyed the trip. I've also grown up quite a bit and realize that focusing on service as opposed to the rank and filing along the way has made things a lot more enjoyable. I originally hated that I felt that I deserved accolades for all my "blood, sweat, and tears" but then grew up and realized that I have the greatest job in the world...kool-aide or not. Drinking the kool-aide has allowed me to do one of the greatest tours (especially in the disassociated world) I think is availible. Being a non-jet Aviator (which is the prerequisite) aboard the aircraft carrier and working the flight deck with some of the hardest working enlisted in the Navy has opened my eyes to a whole world of flying, without flight. It's AWESOME. There are a few LDOs doing the Shooter job with me, but most of us are the kool-aide drinkers. The flying WOs were great to instruct in HTs and I'm looking foward to flying with them on my DH tour...no matter what "sweet flying" they get to do. I'm proud as a "traditional" aviator to get to where I'm at...no matter what I'm doing FOR the squadron, and the Navy and the Country.

Realize this is just a dumb airframer’s conjecture, but I would like to hear some opinions from aviators in all walks and what they may or may have not done if they were in the same “hypothetical” situation.

For a "dumb" airframer, you speak a lot more eloquent then many on this board...don't discount your intelligence or how your dilligence allows us to do what we do. Sounds like maybe you should go for the bars yourself.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was referring to the selection results in the original post. The latest they have come out prior to this was Sep 2 if I recall. This year they got hung up at Millington. I spoke with the folks who screen the packages and recieved an update last week. The last update they recieved was on the 28th "Forwarded to N1 front office for review/obtain approval to release NAVADMIN and forward other TABs to SECNAV". They are expecting release any day now. This was what they told me on Oct 5th.

They also said they have not had as much interest in the program as anticipated. They could not give me an exact number but said they recieved 15-30 board eligible packages. They were extremely competivitve packages however.

Well, this years message said they were only going to select like 4 or 7 spots, so that tells me that the demand is way down too.

Brett

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As I understood it, the program only sent people to Helo and Maritime/P-3/P-8 communities. If you had hopes of going TACAIR, I guess not being a flying WO would be a good thing (if I am not mistaken with this).

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Why do you guys think they excluded the tailhook communities from the FWO program?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why do you guys think they excluded the tailhook communities from the FWO program?

The whole intent of FWO was to manage the number of people competing for DH slots in those communities. Fewer 13X0 JOs in each squadron means higher DH screen rates down the line, which has been a problem recently in VP and helo land.

Brett

MasterBates

Basically in a HSL squadron, you have 45+ JOs. (I believe VP is similar)

Through DH screen and CDR Command Screen, you have to whack 45 down to 2.

Compare that to a VFA squadron where you have less than half the JOs competing for the same DH/CO slots.

mdkaboom

Hence the minor pickle. As JG pointed out earlier the results are taking their sweet ass time. I am 98% locked on getting those beautiful buttery bars. It's just that damn 2% that is nagging at me. WHAT IF? WHAT IF? WHAT if?...........I think you all are right on the money about focusing on long term stuff. Shooting a couple of million dollars worth of government property off a flight deck (as opposed to hitting it with a hammer) does sound pretty appealing. I guess no CNO started his career as CWO anyway.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
As a guy in a squadron with 2 flying CWO2's (who will be CWO3's soon) they get ground jobs, they still have to compete with other CWO2's (including those who went to maintenance WO after a million years in the navy), they stand watch as SDO, and still have to pay wardroom dues. They get plenty of respect, lots of work, and a decent amount of pay (more than this JG anyway)..that all being said, they will never be the skipper, and are usually looking to make that 20 and call it a day. If you want to make command and be CNO one day, go ENS...looking to cap off a good career as a flyer and miss the BS of OCS, go CWO...

Pickle

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Not every butter bar wants to be CNO either.

Hell, not every butter bar wants to pick up operational command. This guy wants an Orange and White command (well white and blue, I guess, would be ok too) :eek: hehe

gotta_fly

pilot
As a guy in a squadron with 2 flying CWO2's (who will be CWO3's soon) they get ground jobs, they still have to compete with other CWO2's (including those who went to maintenance WO after a million years in the navy), they stand watch as SDO, and still have to pay wardroom dues. They get plenty of respect, lots of work, and a decent amount of pay (more than this JG anyway)..that all being said, they will never be the skipper, and are usually looking to make that 20 and call it a day. If you want to make command and be CNO one day, go ENS...looking to cap off a good career as a flyer and miss the BS of OCS, go CWO...

Pickle

How do their upgrades work? Can they be an AC or MC?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The intent is for CWOs to be identical to any other JO in the plane, including upgrades, PPC/HAC, etc. The differences are in ground jobs (not supposed to be in "ladder-climbing" jobs like AOPS) and career track. How skippers actually use them once they start coming back to the Fleet on their second, third, etc, sea tours remains to be seen. I really hope they won't just get shoved down in MC as permanent AMO/FCF pilot. "Warrants work in maint control because warrants have always worked in maint control," kind of thing.

There are a lot of good reasons to have a FWO program, but IMHO, community balancing isn't one of them. It's going to be a loooong time (esp at the low rate they're coming in) before there's enough of them in the Fleet to reach any kind of critical mass and impact screen rates. But I think community balancing was just how it was sold.

I'm curious what'll happen the first time a FWO applies for a transition to something with a tailhook. The instructions I've seen have said that initial training will be to Heavies & Helos - is there one that says they have to stay there forever?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I'm curious what'll happen the first time a FWO applies for a transition to something with a tailhook. The instructions I've seen have said that initial training will be to Heavies & Helos - is there one that says they have to stay there forever?

I'd imagine that age would come into play...I can, however, see them instructing on T-45s like a few helo/P-3/E-6 bubbas have done.

mdkaboom

FYO9 RESULTS ARE OUT(nada) = PICKLE SOLVED.

GOT A DATE WITH A D.I.!! NEWPORT IN NOVEMBER HERE I COME!! :icon_smil

p.s. thanks again Bubba's for the excellent input.