• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying CWO results?

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
Had a third class over hear our OIC talking about knowing the results to the Flying CWO program and about not telling me yet.....anyone have an inside line or is this guy just trying to sound important. The wait is killing me :icon_wink

WO_Flyer

pilot
You will know soon enough... Keep doing your job, dont worry about it and check bupers every couple of days. Waiting is part of the process.....

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Do you mean results of a board to select more CWOs (more than the original 50)? Or do you mean what are the results of the program (the selected 50; as in, will the be continuing the program)?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you mean results of a board to select more CWOs (more than the original 50)? Or do you mean what are the results of the program (the selected 50; as in, will the be continuing the program)?

Clearly, the program continues, as this year's flying CWO program accepted applications for seven positions for FY09 (NAVADMIN 067/09). Since the applications were due in June, the results are likely coming out soon. Who are these "original 50" you speak of? This program has been ongoing since it's inception four years ago.

Brett

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
From what I recall on documents/threads from this website (could be faulty memory), the program called for selecting an original group of 50 to test their success with it's desired continuation/increase/end of the program. I had not heard how any of them did other than the guys I saw in IFS/API. Since you said they are still making selections, I guess they decided to continue it, or it was never a trial program and I just remembered it wrong.

Edit:
Just searched, apparently it was '30' not '50'. Still not sure if it is a test program or planned to continue for the foreseeable future?
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navytrng/a/navwarflight.htm
"The test program began in 2006, in which the Navy selected ten pilots and four NFOs. The 2007 selection board chose ten pilots and six NFOs. Over the next two years, 15 sailors will be commissioned in the paygrade of CW02, attend Chief Warrant Officer Indoctrination Training, then undergo flight training. Five pilots and three NFOs will be selected by a board in July 2008, and four pilots and three NFOs by a board in July 2009." [That adds up to 29 pilots, but 45 total]
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1588097/posts
"The Flying CWO Pilot program will select 30 highly-qualified E-5 through E-7 Sailors over the next two years,"
http://www.usawoa.org/downloads/NavyFlyingCWO200710.pdf
"As one of 30 selectees for the Navy?s Flying Chief Warrant Officer Program"

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From what I recall on documents/threads from this website (could be faulty memory), the program called for selecting an original group of 50 to test their success with it's desired continuation/increase/end of the program. I had not heard how any of them did other than the guys I saw in IFS/API. Since you said they are still making selections, I guess they decided to continue it, or it was never a trial program and I just remembered it wrong.

Edit:
Just searched, apparently it was '30' not '50'. Still not sure if it is a test program or planned to continue for the foreseeable future?
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navytrng/a/navwarflight.htm
"The test program began in 2006, in which the Navy selected ten pilots and four NFOs. The 2007 selection board chose ten pilots and six NFOs. Over the next two years, 15 sailors will be commissioned in the paygrade of CW02, attend Chief Warrant Officer Indoctrination Training, then undergo flight training. Five pilots and three NFOs will be selected by a board in July 2008, and four pilots and three NFOs by a board in July 2009." [That adds up to 29 pilots, but 45 total]
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1588097/posts
"The Flying CWO Pilot program will select 30 highly-qualified E-5 through E-7 Sailors over the next two years,"
http://www.usawoa.org/downloads/NavyFlyingCWO200710.pdf
"As one of 30 selectees for the Navy?s Flying Chief Warrant Officer Program"

When talking about various programs, you should always reference the governing messages (NAVADMINs) that come out each year detailing the specific requirements. Stuff you find in the press through Google are essentially worthless. Ask some of the IPs at your squadron to explain how message traffic works. They may look at you funny, but knowing about that will be a good thing to at least get the concept of once you hit the fleet.

Brett

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
The NAVADMINs are there. I'd say are a matter of general practice we (Airwarriors) does not usually cite NAVADMINs when talking about various programs. The NAVADMINs read the same as the cited articles (on the specifics that I checked).

Perhaps you don't cite them, but we (Airwarriors) do when we talk about official Navy programs and messages, because they (OPNAV/SECNAV instructions included) are the only official sources of information readily available for sharing on AW.

mdkaboom

Well I couldn’t decide as to which thread to post this to, but this seemed the newest. This sailor has a “hypothetical” question for the O’s and WO’s on the site with lovely wings of gold. The picture is such; you have 8 years (+/-) of active service under your belt and you now have a shot at your dream of flying (the single reason you dragged your sorry ass into that recruiting office). You have a choice between going to OCS -or taking a commission under the Flying CWO pilot program, both for SNA. Knowing when it is all said and done and you are finally out of the FRS, how would you want to spend your last 10-12 years in the Navy? Wearing blue hashed bars and flying without worries of fighting tooth and nail for the almighty EP whilst constantly pushing to “fit in” with fellow officers in the wardroom hoping not to become another lost soul to some star’s shelved brainchild? (STA, LDO, etc….). Or go and get those pretty gold bars and blend with the crowd….What a pickle…..Thoughts?

Realize this is just a dumb airframer’s conjecture, but I would like to hear some opinions from aviators in all walks and what they may or may have not done if they were in the same “hypothetical” situation.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
You can also fly for your first 8 or so years (including flight school) without scrapping for the almighty EP, fwiw - the HTs and VTs are always in need of IPs, to say nothing of C-12s, station SAR, etc. etc. Flying shore jobs abound for those that want to pursue nothing but flying.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well I couldn’t decide as to which thread to post this to, but this seemed the newest. This sailor has a “hypothetical” question for the O’s and WO’s on the site with lovely wings of gold. The picture is such; you have 8 years (+/-) of active service under your belt and you now have a shot at your dream of flying (the single reason you dragged your sorry ass into that recruiting office). You have a choice between going to OCS -or taking a commission under the Flying CWO pilot program, both for SNA. Knowing when it is all said and done and you are finally out of the FRS, how would you want to spend your last 10-12 years in the Navy? Wearing blue hashed bars and flying without worries of fighting tooth and nail for the almighty EP whilst constantly pushing to “fit in” with fellow officers in the wardroom hoping not to become another lost soul to some star’s shelved brainchild? (STA, LDO, etc….). Or go and get those pretty gold bars and blend with the crowd….What a pickle…..Thoughts?

Realize this is just a dumb airframer’s conjecture, but I would like to hear some opinions from aviators in all walks and what they may or may have not done if they were in the same “hypothetical” situation.

If you have the option to do so, go to OCS and become a real line officer. There are just too many limitations on the CWO program as it stands. Some background (in case you don't know mine), I was enlisted/ordie/aircrew for 8+ years, did STA(old school) & OCS and am now a Prowler NFO on my Dept. Head tour. If you're qualified to be a full up line officer, why would you handcuff yourself to the limits of CWO? I know you're just setting up your question, but the two sides you've set up (FITREP 500 vs. flying w/o ground job or collateral duties) isn't really how things play out in the real world. Squadrons and platforms may differ, but I know for a fact that the CWOs aren't going to "just" fly. They're going to have many of the same ground responsibilities as other JOs - probably even DIVO jobs. On the other side, worrying about your FITREP (or writing it) takes less than 1 percent of your time in a given year. I have yet to see, in my nearly 20 years, anything that could be called active competition/backstabbing/etc for FITREPS. As with everything else, you do your job well and you'll be rewarded.

Bottom line: There's no question in my mind what the better option would be. Happy to field any questions you might have.

Brett

navy09

None
Idiot ENS here, but all things being equal (or nearly so), you'll rake in much more as an O with 'E' pay than as a Warrant- especially when you factor in retirement.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett ain't wrong, but I still think the FWO program is an awesome deal. Perpetual JOPA, eternal Fleet squadron/VT/Fleet/RAG/etc rotation. There are a lot of Admirals who would give it all up for that deal.

You won't just be 'squadron pilot'; you'll have the same ground jobs a j.g. would have. If doing that same ground job in 10 years when the guys from your Primary class are your DH's doesn't bother you, then go for it.

FWO is still in its infancy, I don't think any of them have even finished their first Fleet tours, and there's no telling how the program will mature or how the Fleet will decide FWO's are best used eventually. It could greatly expand, it could go away all together, or they could just remain the Bigfoots of Naval Aviation - everyone's heard of them, but sighted only fleetingly. You could be a multi-thousand-hour guy, or wind up being AMO forever and occasionally get to fly FCF's. My point is just that if you go FWO, you're buying into an uncertain future.

jg54170

OCS JAN12th
I was referring to the selection results in the original post. The latest they have come out prior to this was Sep 2 if I recall. This year they got hung up at Millington. I spoke with the folks who screen the packages and recieved an update last week. The last update they recieved was on the 28th "Forwarded to N1 front office for review/obtain approval to release NAVADMIN and forward other TABs to SECNAV". They are expecting release any day now. This was what they told me on Oct 5th.

They also said they have not had as much interest in the program as anticipated. They could not give me an exact number but said they recieved 15-30 board eligible packages. They were extremely competivitve packages however.