• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fly for another country?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Why would you want to fly for another country? And who would you fly for? Canada? UK? France for crying out loud? Hahaha, I just can't WAIT to get myself in a mirage.

Flying for another country is the same as German-American immigrants (or Germans anywhere for that matter) following Hitler's call to return to Germany and fight for the motherland.

Leben lang das motherland! Hahaha
icon_smile_shy.gif

Seriously usmc, I wonder how sincere you are with your military commitment. It really pisses me off when I see guys in training who see it all as necessary bull**** before they get their free ride into a commercial career. Why don't you do a guy who's willing to be a lifer a favor and not take his spot away from him? Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if you're incredibly talented it all counts for jack if your heart's not in it.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by vegita1220
Seriously usmc, I wonder how sincere you are with your military commitment. It really pisses me off when I see guys in training who see it all as necessary bull**** before they get their free ride into a commercial career. Why don't you do a guy who's willing to be a lifer a favor and not take his spot away from him? Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if you're incredibly talented it all counts for jack if your heart's not in it.

usmc aside, I disagree a bit with your comment. I have known many military aviator's whose goal it was to be a commercial aviator. The military was the best way to make that goal a reality. Though I'm sure serving their country played a part in the decision as well. Those who believe the military is a free ride and don't have their heart in it may not make it anyway. If it's a free ride, it has many, many bumps. Even those who original planned nothing but a military career end up leaving for various reasons. Wanting to be a lifer doesn't make them any better than the type who wants the 8 and out. I know an old skipper who is a lifer and perhaps should have thought about getting out long ago to reduce pain and suffering on many navy personnel. Of course that's a long story
icon_smile_wink.gif

VAW-120 FRS Flight Instructor

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
So then I suppose it's wrong of me to think about possibly flying for the military and applying to NASA later?

Or maybe that still counts as being a lifer as everybody knows NASA is just the 5th service? hehe

monkey

I think that bunk22 brings up a good point. I have been flying in the Canadian air force for quite some time, and when I joined I fully intended to make it a lifelong career. Though i am not ready to leave yet, I am sure now that flying fighters is not something that I need or want to do for the next 15 or 20 years, and as much as I Love flying and the military I know there are lots of other interesting fields of endeavours out there and would like to explore them. I think it is bogus to slam someone just because they are looking beyond the fairly simplistic goal of being an aviator, specially when the "slammers" are at the beginning of their military careers.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
I am going to agree with bunk22 - willing to be a lifer is much too simplistic. When I was lieutenant, that wasn't even a consideration due to military drawdowns (the Corps going from 200k to a planned size of 156k) - everyone was being forced out. Witness that augmentation from a reserve commission to a regular is currently near 100% - years ago, I remember it being less than 10%.
Also, if you want to be a commercial pilot, it is a much better bet to go Air Force or Navy than the Corps due to the better odds of getting fixed-wing - if you go to the Corps, there is a very good chance you are going to be flying helos which is virtually useless in trying to become a commercial aviator - TRUST ME on that one....

Sorry you take it that way. I meant it along the lines it was used in the movie(i.e. taking the free paid education, kick back and relax for time in service, then leave). Not to mention I find it kinda distasteful to even consider flying for another country...
But I see your point, and I've got no grudge against such pilots. Leaves more billets open for me when I submit, right? :)

And about the NASA crack, I thought you stay in the military if you fly for NASA...

goldwingdreams

Flying is one thing. Being a Marine is another thing entirely. There are plenty of aviation boards out there. If he wants to post here he ought to respect the membership of this board and those who have earned the right to call themselves Marine.

I am no more Navy than that guy is Marine but I damn well know the ramifications and implications of my words and the impact they have on those have righfully sweat and bled to take those titles.

Gentlemen, flame away.

Taxman2A

War were declared.
What's to flame? Your post was ****ing poetry. I've never read anything from you before, but this was a good start! Hey, maybe you should consider making that entire post your signature?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Originally posted by vegita1220
...Not to mention I find it kinda distasteful to even consider flying for another country...
But I see your point, and I've got no grudge against such pilots. Leaves more billets open for me when I submit, right? :)

So I guess it's no PEP tours for you, then, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.