• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flight school timelines

staff03

so right out of flight school you have your first sea duty which is 36 months straight at sea? am i understading this correctly?

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
so right out of flight school you have your first sea duty which is 36 months straight at sea? am i understading this correctly?

Not all of it is sea time. You are on Sea duty. Which means you are deployable and will be assigned to a sea going command. I can't really speak for fixed wing but helo guys usually do 2 deployments over the 3 year period. The first one you are a 2P and the second one a HAC. It depends on the platform and deployment sked. Also this is not right out of flight school. You will have to go to the FRD (rag) first.

staff03

the deployments are about 6 months at a time correct? so let me see if i understand right, you could be at sea 6, home 6, sea 6, home 6, home 12 for your first sea duty? does anyone know what the timelines are for fixed wing?

staff03

ok apparently i have a lot of questions on this topic that are widely known and annoying to ask. if anyone wants to put up with more questions on this topic please feel free to pm me and i will give them all to you. thanks

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
ok apparently i have a lot of questions on this topic that are widely known and annoying to ask. if anyone wants to put up with more questions on this topic please feel free to pm me and i will give them all to you. thanks
If you do a quick search and cannot find your answer, ask away. Among all the smart ass comments (almost the sole reason I read this stuff everyday...:D ) you will get your answers.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
If you do a quick search and cannot find your answer, ask away. Among all the smart ass comments (almost the sole reason I read this stuff everyday...:D ) you will get your answers.

Agree with this post. You got a little BS on this thread, but your questions were answered. How close are you to actually going off to OCS? I reread your posts here and notice you were asking about Jets. Those guys do more sea time then most and deploy more often. If you really don't want to ask more questions then send me a PM and I will help you out.

Smoke

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Deployments

the deployments are about 6 months at a time correct? so let me see if i understand right, you could be at sea 6, home 6, sea 6, home 6, home 12 for your first sea duty? does anyone know what the timelines are for fixed wing?

What you might not be understanding is that type aircraft (fixed vs rotary) is not necessarily a determing factor in deployments. A carrier air wing contains both fixed and rotary wing so their deployment cycles are the same. The carrier air wing has:

F/A-18E/F
F/A-18C
EA-6B
E-2C
S-3B (maybe, but not for much longer)
SH-60F/HH-60H
C-2 Det

Each of these units goes through never ending cycles of creation and "destruction" tied to deployments. When a deployment ends, the squadron begins transferring personnel who are at end of their assignments (the goal is to have stable personnel for the typical 6 month deployment so there are usually quite a few departures after a deployment). The squadron also gives up aircraft (FRP commitments do keep some squadrons more or less intact after deployment though). After a squadron muddles through its "destruction phase" with low parts priority and starts gaining people and aircraft in preparation for next deployment, it now enters a "creation" cycle where CO rebuilds the tactical organization absorbing "nuggets" from the RAG and moving the salty post first cruise JOs into more responsible roles (ie section leads, etc.). Department Heads will likely rotate with some leaving and others joining the squadron. After a pause so folks can take leave and personnel/aircraft situation can be stabilized, the squadron begins unit level training and eventually progresses to Air Wing level events such as Fallon Det for entire Air Wing and going back aboard the carrier for brief spells (carrier is also rebuilding its complement having undergone similiar destruction and creation cycle). Eventually the Air Wing and Ship will be formally "qualled" and ready for deployment. This takes better part of a year or more to "create" and qualitfy the "reborn" squadrons and Air Wings (CO and CAG assignments are typically 15 mos so the leadership is likely new across the board as well). This is a pretty simplistic overview to answer your 6 on, 6 off question so you realize it's not a simple equation at all.

Heloanjin

pilot
Staff03 - Your quesion isn't annoying. It is just very difficult to answer in a simple way.

Deployment schedules vary from person to person, squadron to squadron, and time to time. In a perfect world, you'd show up at your squadron beginning workups (about 6 months), go on deployment (6 months), and then relax for 6 months. Repeat. The workups involve dets and underway time. The 6 months relaxing involve dets and underway time.

But few get to live the perfect world. The best way to prepare yourself is to expect to be deployed about 50% of your sea tour. Then add TAD, schools, Dets, etc. Since schedule changes occur on a regular basis, the only time you can be sure you will be home is when you are home. And that visit might be cut short. My last sea tour the most notice I had for any of my underway time was 17 days. The shortest notice was 12 hours. But that was in Japan and we were the "tip of the spear." Bottom line, chances are you won't be home much during your sea tour.

As I said, though, the stories vary from person to person. Even in the same community or squadron.