• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

flight school timelines

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Nothing wrong with that. When I stepped off the established path, it was interesting to see the inability of a lot of the senior folks to understand that my reasons for choosing jobs and career path might not be the same as Big Navy's.

On the other hand, I was a helo guy on a 3 star's mostly lawn-dart staff, so they probably figured I was just born strange.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
I'm aiming for terminal O-4. If I can stay in the cockpit then I will be happy. I will be applying for FTS next year just for that very reason.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
<--- Probably will be a terminal LCDR and is OK with it.

Nothing wrong with that at all :D Keeps you flying if you want. I'll find out next month if thats me. The % of those making O-4 and O-5 will of course vary year to year and community to community I think. Last year, I think 83% of E2/C2 types made O-5 for example (10 out of 12).

For the original poster, what you should be asking is how long is the pipeline from API to helo's to wings :) I don't know, I just sensing helo's on this one.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Progressioncopy.jpg
I feel like that thing is written in spanish.

KSUFLY

pilot
I'm aiming for terminal O-4. If I can stay in the cockpit then I will be happy. I will be applying for FTS next year just for that very reason.

I know a guy that flew the F-14 and switched to the AF to fly the U-2 because the Navy was going to put him behing a desk. He's now a Lt Col and still flying.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Hey man, nothing wrong with that!!

Not at all. I fly almost nothing but day/VMC these days: when people ask me if I miss night flying I always answer "of course not; it's dark at night."

tlord82

pilot
are the majority of navy wingings in meridian and kingsville LTJG's, or do you still see some o-1's? (obviously excluding retreads and marines) just wondering cause it seems most guys here in corpus getting winged and sent to the rag are ensigns still because of the shorter syllabus

In the year or so I've been in Meridian, I have not seen an O-1 winged. All O-2's. For the Marines, it's TBS. For the Navy, it was the long wait to start up API or move on to Primary. If the Navy have finally sped that up, then you will start seeing some O-1's finish up, if only by a couple months.
Our syllabus is far longer than any of the other pipelines except V-22.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know a guy that flew the F-14 and switched to the AF to fly the U-2 because the Navy was going to put him behind a desk. He's now a Lt Col and still flying.

And a few others switched as well to fly F-16s. Another one commanded a B-2 squadron and another one commands a UAV squadron and yet another commands the New Jersey Air Guard and just made general.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
One can still fly as an O-5. My boss is an O-5 who's done just one out of cockpit tour. He was Strike Ops on the Stennis I believe. He started as an F-14 RIO, then transitioned to pilot, did a RAG tour, a few sea deployments, a Kingsville tour, the Strike Ops and now NETSAFA. Granted he has non-flying orders at NETSAFA but got the waiver and has been flying with VT-86, retiring in October of this year.

staff03

can anyone explain to me what the aviation career progression chart means in plain english? sorry for the ignorance

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
The center line is years of commissioned service. So find a year and look above it. It will tell you where you should be if you are on normal progression. So for example right around 8 years (from your commission date) you should be leaving your first shore duty. And at 9 years you will have a DHSB (Department Head Screening Board). Usually your first sea and shore duty are normal lengths. 36 months for sea and 33 for shore. Where this chart really comes into play is for your disassociated tour. You need to be in your DH tour usually no latter then 11 1/2 years. If you were delayed in flight school quite a bit or at somewhere else then you will probably cut your disassociated short. And on the flip side if you finished quickly then you will have extra time. The latter is my case. I finished the FRD pretty at the same time I made JG. So I'm just a little ahead in timing. Does this help explain the chart?

Smoke

edit: As you start getting into the upper years (9 years+) then the years become YG. If you are an early commission (ie OCT) then you could be moved up a YG for manning. So if you were commissioned OCT 04 then you are in YG 05. But you could be moved up to 04 if needed.