• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

I went into primary wanting helo's, came out with something else as my first choice. Primary gave me the chance to experience some navy flying and actually figure out what I wanted, this direct to helo takes away that chance
The program is 100 percent voluntary and if you drop or fail it, you get sent to normal primary. I see no issue with it as it eats helo billets for those who don't want helos and those who do, get them guaranteed. I do wish we got a chance to "try out" helos before deciding though like maybe do 1 flight to see if we like them.

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot
The program is 100 percent voluntary and if you drop or fail it, you get sent to normal primary. I see no issue with it as it eats helo billets for those who don't want helos and those who do, get them guaranteed. I do wish we got a chance to "try out" helos before deciding though like maybe do 1 flight to see if we like them.

The ability to drop and go to regular primary won’t always be an option if this becomes a normal part of the pipeline. Doing this will limit your future options to fly fixed wing such as in the VTs or VRs.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The ability to drop and go to regular primary won’t always be an option if this becomes a normal part of the pipeline. Doing this will limit your future options to fly fixed wing such as in the VTs or VRs.
My guess is that COPTR works the navy will simply gonkulate the number of rotary wing pilots needed and draft that number to helos. That’s an easy fix. I don’t know what they are going to do about FW training…but taking three or four years to get a pilot into a strike cockpit isn’t a good plan.

kejo

pilot
COPTR/CORPS is and will be (if the program continues) volunteer basis only. Helo “quotas” are not part of the math.

Being a COPTR/CORPS student does not disqualify you from being future VT instructor or applying for VR.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I guess I’m asking why enough people are unhappy with their primary experience for coptr to be noticeably different. Also what’s different about coptr that’s not making them unhappy.
I imagine that the stress of not knowing what comes after is probably taken away with COPTR - knowing where I was going made the T-44 and T-45 very fun even though those syllabi expected more of me as a student. Primary would’ve been an absolute blast if I wasn’t worried about grades and certain instructors didn’t use those concerns to beat students over the head.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I imagine that the stress of not knowing what comes after is probably taken away with COPTR - knowing where I was going made the T-44 and T-45 very fun even though those syllabi expected more of me as a student. Primary would’ve been an absolute blast if I wasn’t worried about grades and certain instructors didn’t use those concerns to beat students over the head.
Just out of curiosity, how did you “know” where you were going while in primary?

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Just out of curiosity, how did you “know” where you were going while in primary?
I didn’t, and that’s my point - the 44 and 45 are more difficult aircraft with more difficult syllabi but it’s been an absolute blast because I know what comes after. COPTR can be exclusively about learning how to fly for those students because they already know what they’re going to get.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I didn’t, and that’s my point - the 44 and 45 are more difficult aircraft with more difficult syllabi but it’s been an absolute blast because I know what comes after. COPTR can be exclusively about learning how to fly for those students because they already know what they’re going to get.
Thanks, I got what you were writing entirely backwards.

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
What is the normal primary flight hours these days? 50 is literally half of what I received in primary, so it seems absurdly low, but I don’t know how it stacks up against the modern syllabus.

Also if it really is 30-50 hours less than traditional primary, that’s literally months added to hac progression at the fleet when we already have a hard time hitting timelines. Not to mention 30-50 flight hours the fleet gets to eat that aren’t really accounted for.

COPTR/CORPS is and will be (if the program continues) volunteer basis only. Helo “quotas” are not part of the math.
How will this scale up if it expands from pilot program to a full alternative path? I’m sure it’s easy to find 48 volunteers (especially with what appears to be a large Uscg contingent), but do you think you’ll find XX volunteers for a scaled up program?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
What is the normal primary flight hours these days? 50 is literally half of what I received in primary, so it seems absurdly low, but I don’t know how it stacks up against the modern syllabus.

Also if it really is 30-50 hours less than traditional primary, that’s literally months added to hac progression at the fleet when we already have a hard time hitting timelines. Not to mention 30-50 flight hours the fleet gets to eat that aren’t really accounted for.

How will this scale up if it expands from pilot program to a full alternative path? I’m sure it’s easy to find 48 volunteers (especially with what appears to be a large Uscg contingent), but do you think you’ll find XX volunteers for a scaled up program?
CNAF 3710 has already reduced how many flight hours are required to make HAC, presumably for this program, if not for just lower flight hours JOs are getting these days across the board.