• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I can’t help but ask, if this is going to be “The way of the future” for all helo pilots, I assume they will have to start “selecting” Helos vs. fixed wing out of API? That seems to be a very…shortsighted point in time to make such a big decision.

MGoBrew11

pilot
I can’t help but ask, if this is going to be “The way of the future” for all helo pilots, I assume they will have to start “selecting” Helos vs. fixed wing out of API? That seems to be a very…shortsighted point in time to make such a big decision.
Yeah, this was discussed a lot in another thread. There are a lot of criticisms/concerns about the program, and this is definitely one of the big ones.

AFidk

dumb ensign/SNA
the fact that something like nearly half of Navy aircraft are rotary wing seems to make this possibility an unlikely one. Like you said people don’t know anything at API, and the Air Force program can probably only fill its quota for helos this way because they have very few fleet spots to fill proportionally.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The whole COPT-R discussion can be found in this thread. There's more about it before that post over the course of several pages...and why most people here are in agreement on why it's not a good choice for the SNA.

Astro_Rekt

My buddy's a French E-2 dude and he says they select RW vs FW out of their equivalent NIFE, though they do get more hours (15-30?). Would have to change the USN's mentality behind it cause, while I love looking at my NIFE flying NSS, it was basically a pass/fail.

AFidk

dumb ensign/SNA
My buddy's a French E-2 dude and he says they select RW vs FW out of their equivalent NIFE, though they do get more hours (15-30?). Would have to change the USN's mentality behind it cause, while I love looking at my NIFE flying NSS, it was basically a pass/fail.
I’d be temptedF9057344-2E07-4136-80E9-6F71EA4A5CD7.jpeg

AFidk

dumb ensign/SNA
Time to reaching the end of the list has considerably decreased in the last three weeks.

AFidk

dumb ensign/SNA
Wait time is non linear, there’s like 3 waves of different programs for the academy and NROTC people that showed up at different times. Right now if you’ve finished prereqs and are on the ready to go list it’s looking like 6~7 weeks of time. If you don’t make it to the top of the list before the NPS certificate people (who showed up in June) finish and can go to swim, it’ll probably add 2 months because they’ll get priority over you. Also people are waiting a much longer time for their appointments to get scheduled because there’s so many people that showed up mid august around the same time and they can only process so many per week. All told if you showed up tomorrow I’d imagine it’s still a 5~6 month wait.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Cross post - first direct to helo pipeline - all contractor COPT-R class graduates and SNA's are off to HT's at Whiting with 3 hours of solo time in the Bell 206B3. No T-6 time.

To reiterate - the SNA's flew the Bell 206B3 solo - as teh sole occupant of the aircraft and not the bullshit solos of the HT's where another SNA is in the other seat.

Seems like a happy group!

This is the future - I suspect.

1702958953928.png

Cross post - first direct to helo pipeline - all contractor COPT-R class graduates and SNA's are off to HT's at Whiting with 3 hours of solo time in the Bell 206B3. No T-6 time.

To reiterate - the SNA's flew the Bell 206B3 solo - as teh sole occupant of the aircraft and not the bullshit solos of the HT's where another SNA is in the other seat.

Seems like a happy group!

This is the future - I suspect.

View attachment 39527
Awesome. I'm in NIFE right now and have a few friends in NIFE in the copter program. It's full right now but they may do more groups later. I think it's great cause it gets snas who want helos a guaranteed slot and eats quotas for the ones who want fixed wing.