• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
Again, this is a nice idea, but dollars and time are the most important thing in CNATRA. Is there a real need for an MPRA Cat 1 to have demonstrated proficiency in this when they'll be with a PPC/IP all the time for first two years of their winged time? (FRS + Fleet through PPC)
I really hope the most important thing at CNATRA is producing the absolute best guys and gals ready for the demands of the fleet.. Dollars and time matter of course, but they cannot come before the quality of our aviators.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I really hope the most important thing at CNATRA is producing the absolute best guys and gals ready for the demands of the fleet.. Dollars and time matter of course, but they cannot come before the quality of our aviators.
So you would think the folks who actually dream this stuff up are CNATRA staff - fleet experienced O4's who are trying to comer up with solutions they can be proud of when they are XO/CO's of squadrons in their respective communities.

I think "trying things" has value. Again the AF and Navy seem to be working parallel tracks and have independently decided to try the same things as away to relieve the shortage of first tour pilots. There are only so many combinations of things to try. Finding a "minimal viable product" and working in an "agile" fashion has merit when it comes to solving problems. You hope the feedbck loops to decision makers are strong and leaders have the courage to call balls and strikes.

Fallonflyr

pilot
Just flew with an AF T-6 instructor. He said they are being winged after T-6 primary then get specialized T-6 syllabus training before going to follow on pipeline training. That is how they get winged in a year.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

Like....okay? We could keep SNAs in primary/advanced for 4-5 years and create great aviators that go to the fleet super well prepared. At some point you have to reach a minimum viable product, push them out to the fleet, and let them learn a more advanced platform and tactics. We are discussing visual approaches/INAV landing transitions which can range from easy to pretty difficult energy management problems. As I've explained, the current setup is to put Primary SNAs in repeatable landing scenarios so they get reps from a few vantage points and see/learn the checkpoints/numbers/etc and not prang the aircraft by coming in all fucked up. I imagine Advanced is similar with platform specific nuances.

I guess I resent the idea Primary is pushing trash or not giving enough experience to SNAs. The syllabus is pretty well trodden ground, the SNAs put in hard work to complete (even the bottom feeder NSS), and the IPs mostly give a shit and are invested in the SNAs success.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just flew with an AF T-6 instructor. He said they are being winged after T-6 primary then get specialized T-6 syllabus training before going to follow on pipeline training. That is how they get winged in a year.

I am not fully versed on the latest in USAF flight training but I think that might be the case with 'big wing' folks and not fighter/bomber folks, yet.

BravoBeach

pilot
Commissioned Navy May 2021
Reported to Pensacola as a SNA in July 2021.
Finished NIFE in November 2021.
Assigned to Milton for Primary: July 2022 - October 2022.
Started Primary at Milton November 2022. Solo T6 April 2023.
Primary completer at Milton - July 2023. Primary time: 1 year.
Advance Helo solo - October 2023.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Commissioned Navy May 2021
Reported to Pensacola as a SNA in July 2021.
Finished NIFE in November 2021.
Assigned to Milton for Primary: July 2022 - October 2022.
Started Primary at Milton November 2022. Solo T6 April 2023.
Primary completer at Milton - July 2023. Primary time: 1 year.
Advance Helo solo - October 2023.
Wow - you will certainly make O-3 while in the FRS! You know there was a time when you finished FRS and hit the fleet squadron as an ENS. (sung to Springsteen "Glory Days")

AFidk

dumb ensign/SNA
Wow - you will certainly make O-3 while in the FRS! You know there was a time when you finished FRS and hit the fleet squadron as an ENS. (sung to Springsteen "Glory Days")
And here I was thinking this didn’t seem like much waiting compared to projections for people currently in the pool.