• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

PMPT

The hell of it is, Naval Aviation needs the people. It's just difficult to force more through the bottleneck of the VT/HTs without significantly more funding. So, front-side attrition is usually the "solution" to people stacking up beyond a certain point.
probably also doesn't help that they have elected to place the two main training bases for primarily VFR flying in places with notoriously bad weather throughout a good portion of the year

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Is anyone privy on datapoints on AETC vs CNATRA times-to-train? I personally subscribe to the CC/Pcola are dumb places for initial training line of thinking, but I’m curious if there’s actually an appreciable difference in timelines compared to the AF bases with supposedly more favorable characteristics. Or more importantly, one that would justify an enormous asspain and expense moving to a different base.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't worry, flight school is just prepping you for when you end up in Lemoore and weather cancel every day from late November to early February because of the fog...
Hey, it’s just two more months until the Whidbey MOAs get perennially socked in up to FL 250.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is anyone privy on datapoints on AETC vs CNATRA times-to-train? I personally subscribe to the CC/Pcola are dumb places for initial training line of thinking, but I’m curious if there’s actually an appreciable difference in timelines compared to the AF bases with supposedly more favorable characteristics. Or more importantly, one that would justify an enormous asspain and expense moving to a different base.
This requires Congressional approval, which means data is only part of the issue, and perhaps not even the only one.

There’s a reason NAS Meridian is home to the G. V. "Sonny" Montgomery Navy Reserve Center, and probably there’s reason it’s still around, given that Trent Lott was as senior a Senator as he was in BRAC 2005.

NS Everett is where it is due to the influence of Scoop Jackson, when by all rights it should have been in Port Angeles.

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot

Would bet jets/manning has a much more significant impact on training times than weather.

Air Force does UPT in Columbus, MS so it is not like the weather they are getting is significantly better than places like Meridian.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
For the life of me I don't understand why they don't approach it as a retention issue and fix the personnel system.

Every dude you keep on AD saves you years of training someone new. How much $$ and time does it take to make someone that can MC a RED FLAG.. and we just let them walk.

exNavyOffRec

This requires Congressional approval, which means data is only part of the issue, and perhaps not even the only one.

There’s a reason NAS Meridian is home to the G. V. "Sonny" Montgomery Navy Reserve Center, and probably there’s reason it’s still around, given that Trent Lott was as senior a Senator as he was in BRAC 2005.

NS Everett is where it is due to the influence of Scoop Jackson, when by all rights it should have been in Port Angeles.
Interested to hear why you feel it should have been in Port Angeles instead of Everett? Sen Jackson died in 1983 prior to the announcement of the selection.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
OK…this prompts a potential “stupid question…” How do airlines conduct a “flight review” for their pilots? Is it internal, say, with a check pilot? Is the BFR requirement even a thing for you guys at the show?

BFR isn’t a thing with airline training but there’s Annual re-qualification sims you go to every 9-12 months.

PMPT

Be careful or you’ll be doing primary in Lubbock!
haha you make a fair point ?

although ironically i think TW4 started doing dets out to ... Roswell ... because the weather was better. not to mention TW1 and TW2 basically cannot maintain production without multiple dets per year to El Centro. I had my fun in Corpus, but it would seemingly have made more sense to put the primary training bases in desert-like environments.

then again I'm getting more actual IFR time than ever in my flight career in my current east coast base, so swings and roundabouts ...

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
Be careful or you’ll be doing primary in Lubbock!
Got cancelled for WEEKS in primary contacts for weather in Corpus. Then comes along a DET to Roswell, and I finish all of contacts/Aero and start forms within 3 weeks. That got me thinking, maybe we didn't choose the best locations for these training bases...