• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interested to hear why you feel it should have been in Port Angeles instead of Everett? Sen Jackson died in 1983 prior to the announcement of the selection.
Because you bang a left and you're basically there. Also, his obit in the Everett Herald flat-out credits him with NS Everett existing through his wheeling and dealing with John Lehman.

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got cancelled for WEEKS in primary contacts for weather in Corpus. Then comes along a DET to Roswell, and I finish all of contacts/Aero and start forms within 3 weeks. That got me thinking, maybe we Congress didn't choose the best locations for these training bases...
FTFY. :)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got cancelled for WEEKS in primary contacts for weather in Corpus. Then comes along a DET to Roswell, and I finish all of contacts/Aero and start forms within 3 weeks. That got me thinking, maybe we didn't choose the best locations for these training bases...

That boat sailed in WWI and WWII, when the military built wherever they wanted whatever they wanted.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Regarding weather at bases being a factor: I have to wonder what effect the SOP (and changes/additions to it) might have on that too. My recollection from flight school is there was a lot of weather that was technically (and legally) flyable, but it wasn't possible to fly because of the way the rules were written. A lot of these bases were churning out students at a crazy clip 80 years ago, and 50 years ago, and 30 years ago... have to wonder, has weather really changed that much?

We crash a lot less than we used to, which is a good thing.

Nevertheless, there might be areas where aversion to risk is a factor in training delays. Not saying "launch the solos" (nobody wants to go back to losing 500 airplanes a year), but maybe there is some amount of trade-space between where we are and operating more efficiently, without sacrificing flight safety.

Flying in a variety of weather conditions can be a good confidence-builder for students, too. It just has to be done in the right way, so they don't get cavalier about it.

The other factor I wonder about is length of syllabus, as compared to prior generations.

Last edited:

nittany03

pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That boat sailed in WWI and WWII, when the military built wherever they wanted whatever they wanted.
Yeah, but Congress was in charge of what to BRAC/replace . . . with the stroke of a Presidential pen, we could have had a Master Training Base in/around El Centro, Yuma, White Sands, or somesuch.

bunny_0329

Woppin'
pilot
Regarding weather at bases being a factor: I have to wonder what effect the SOP (and changes/additions to it) might have on that too. My recollection from flight school is there was a lot of weather that was technically (and legally) flyable, but it wasn't possible to fly because of the way the rules were written. A lot of these bases were churning out students at a crazy clip 80 years ago, and 50 years ago, and 30 years ago... have to wonder, has weather really changed that much?

Nevertheless, there might be areas where aversion to risk is a factor in training delays. Not saying "launch the solos" (nobody wants to go back to losing 500 airplanes a year), but maybe there is some amount of trade-space between where we are and operating more efficiently, without sacrificing flight safety.

Flying in a variety of weather conditions can be a good confidence-builder for students, too. It just has to be done in the right way, so they don't get cavalier about it.

The other factor I wonder about is length of syllabus, as compared to prior generations.
Definitely a thought that I’ve had through training many times over the last couple of years, especially in Rotary with the 57. Things are changing but are very much the same. We can file SVFR in contacts/low levels which helps, and most squadrons are just now implementing an R&I to be able to fly night VMC in a SIGMET while aided during NVG training flights. At the same time though we’re often still canceling flights (especially instrument flights) for fields calling LIFR and refusing practice approaches when weather is fully legal/flyable like you said.

The syllabus also just updated here again, taking out a few events and loosening up some pre-reqs.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

My post instrument check solo in the -57, I was told I couldn’t fly because of clouds. Not convective or icing, etc, just a cloudy-cloud surfing type of day.

That was a head scratcher, passed my instrument check but couldn’t fly an actual instrument flight.

exNavyOffRec

Because you bang a left and you're basically there. Also, his obit in the Everett Herald flat-out credits him with NS Everett existing through his wheeling and dealing with John Lehman.
So all his back scratching before he died set everything in motion, I see the point of hand a left and out to sea, but I don't see Port Angeles or that area being able to support everything a carrier would need.

AFidk

dumb ensign/SNA
From what I've seen some new ensigns are being sent to squadrons of their choice for the wait. Should be interesting for avgeeks as I am sure many are, and an enriching educational experience for getting ahead of flight school should they choose to take advantage of their colleagues' knowledge.

From what I've seen some new ensigns are being sent to squadrons of their choice for the wait. Should be interesting for avgeeks as I am sure many are, and an enriching educational experience for getting ahead of flight school should they choose to take advantage of their colleagues' knowledge.
The JGs and LTs there would definitely be putting you to work.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
A couple years ago we had a stash 1stLt in a MEU workup squadron - while I’m sure he appreciated his time in Miramar, he wasn’t exactly super helpful to have around. I think we made him RSO/OIC a few ranges for the maintainers to satisfy predeployment reqs, so that spared someone that pain, but that’s about it