• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I mean, if you're worried about promotion impacts during A-pool, you're probably not spending enough time at McGuire's.
There's a wine bar that I would frequent with a couple of dudes while at the ASO course. Definitely the single 30 something scene.

, I’d take the bullshit of A-pool over the bullshit of primary. Living on a boat for an additional year.
FiFY!
My thought process would have been a mix of "cutting the line", "skipping A Pool bureaucracy" and "career advancement". There's a decent amount of talk with respect to the wait times that have negative impacts on promotions. However, how I read many of your posts is that the wait times and maximizing flight time can have the opposite effect.
Again. The bureaucracy of A-Pool, or MATSG-21 is negligible. The heat is always on that one guy who fucked up. Just don't fuck up.

Career advancement for you is also on the "don't fuck up" line. If you're thinking that you're going to get ahead of your peers by skipping the line you're in for a rude awakening, as that's pretty backstabby.

It was just like when Vance was an option- friends don't let friends go to Vance.

If you want a career you need to just stay with the herd- do what everyone else does. Make the quals when you're supposed to, do your PME, and don't fuck up too bad. Also- don't lose the respect of your fellow aviatiors and peers in the process.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Honest question, but are the delays really going to affect career advancement a significant amount? I'm under the impression that if everyone's timing is messed up/delayed, then in theory, then everyone is on a level playing field when it comes to FITREP time. Squadrons can't function without DHs and people can't screen unless they make O-4. I feel like PERS would adjust to the delayed YGs, but I also still might have an idealistic view of Big Navy.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Honest question, but are the delays really going to affect career advancement a significant amount? I'm under the impression that if everyone's timing is messed up/delayed, then in theory, then everyone is on a level playing field when it comes to FITREP time. Squadrons can't function without DHs and people can't screen unless they make O-4. I feel like PERS would adjust to the delayed YGs, but I also still might have an idealistic view of Big Navy.
It’s not so much about career advancement as it is filling billets, especially the disassociated sea tour.

Once you screen for O4 and then DH you get rolled to a DH tour. People are taking so long to get through flight school that when they screen for O4 they’re sometimes still at the end of their shore tour or just started their boat tour. So they don’t have time to do the full boat tour. Traditionally everyone had enough time so it wasn’t much of an issue. At the park me of the day, PERS has to find a way to put bodies in billets.

Bad_Karma_1310

pilot
It’s not so much about career advancement as it is filling billets, especially the disassociated sea tour.

Once you screen for O4 and then DH you get rolled to a DH tour. People are taking so long to get through flight school that when they screen for O4 they’re sometimes still at the end of their shore tour or just started their boat tour. So they don’t have time to do the full boat tour. Traditionally everyone had enough time so it wasn’t much of an issue. At the park me of the day, PERS has to find a way to put bodies in billets.
It’s also leading to people being rotated out of their JO tour early.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

BUPERS / AVN community is cautiously tracking this.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

You have an idealistic view. We’d sooner lose a war than fix problems, even if we saw the loss coming decades in advance. No incentive to solve problems that take decades when people are only in jobs 9-24 months.

Don’t have enough bodies for DHs? Someone’s gonna get dual hatted, a JO is gonna step up, squadrons will be combined, etc. Some of that has already happened.

Let’s be honest, the only true DH you a really need is a winger aviator is OpsO (runs for cover).

Last edited:

GroundPounder

Newly minted Ensign told to arrive in Pensacola next month. What is in store wait wise at this time?
Not sure of your wait time, but I predict the following:

1. You will want to speed up the process.
2. You will be told to enjoy the paid time to drink beer, swim, fish, play golf, get a Masters degree, copulate with the person(s) of your choice.
3. Reminder, don't kill birds inappropriately, send out f'ed up mass e mails or get a DUI.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Not sure of your wait time, but I predict the following:

1. You will want to speed up the process.
2. You will be told to enjoy the paid time to drink beer, swim, fish, play golf, get a Masters degree, copulate with the person(s) of your choice.
3. Reminder, don't kill birds inappropriately, send out f'ed up mass e mails or get a DUI.
We were told that one of the bird guys recently made O5.
So maybe *do* kill birds