• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

Doback

It’s like 2-3 months for NFOs and SNA something like 9-12 but no one really knows exactly for SNA. If you’re an SNA and want helos though you can class up in like a month potentially

Mouselovr

Contributor
It’s like 2-3 months for NFOs and SNA something like 9-12 but no one really knows exactly for SNA. If you’re an SNA and want helos though you can class up in like a month potentially
We're only hearing whispers of this from the primary pool. Has the implementation of the "volunteer for helos now and we'll skip you to the front of the line then send you straight to helo training" begun?

@villo0692

bcal

We're only hearing whispers of this from the primary pool. Has the implementation of the "volunteer for helos now and we'll skip you to the front of the line then send you straight to helo training" begun?

@villo0692
They just gave us a brief saying if you wanted helos you can volunteer and jump the line and anticipate starting nife in June/July

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I think every winged aviatior here will tell you not to take that "skip the line, go directly to helos" option.

Go to regular primary. Get all of the proper experience.

I waited a year to start primary. It was amazing. A year as an O-1 in Pensacola with no responsibilities. Enjoy it. The Navy/Marine Corps will get their pound of flesh out of you later.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Be careful with the straight to helos thing. I say this as someone who flew helos in the Navy and loved it.

It may sound enticing to skip the line, but the Navy is implementing this program to benefit itself, not you. Always remember that. There could be career timing or other implications by taking this “deal”.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
I'll pile on and fourth the advice of sticking with the regular program. Regardless of what platform you go to, Primary builds a good training foundation for all platforms. You will get exposed to every type of flying the Navy does including basic VFR flying, aerobatics, IFR flying, formation flying, and visual navigation (which is sightseeing for time basically at the Primary level). If you go directly to helos, you will be entering solely with preconceived ideas of what helicopter flying is like. It looks undeniably cool and I loved my one helo flight as a MIDN, but Primary taught me that I was a big wing guy and luckily the needs of the Navy and my grades supported my desires/interests. I also came in wanting to go to the boat. I, like many others, had my desires change a bit from showing up to the TRACOM to submitting final preferences.

The whole less than a year to wings tagline is nice, but be wary of any advertised time to train. All the bugs will be worked out as you're going through it so it will take some time to optimize the program.

Plus, saying you're an unrestricted Naval Aviator is pretty cool.

Last edited: