• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight School backed up

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Like half of disassociated sea tour jobs and every duty section can easily be done by a ensign.

Also, they're probably more in the know on DC stuff coming right from OCS.

But that's what senior LT / post-DHs are for, isn't it? You train them at vast cost, and THEN you put them in a completely different job than an O-1 could do. Not the other way around.

;)

Sonog

pilot
But that's what senior LT / post-DHs are for, isn't it? You train them at vast cost, and THEN you put them in a completely different job than an O-1 could do. Not the other way around.

;)

Also, newly commissioned OCS ensigns are the definition of motivated. They'll do anything.

Navy: "Hey do you want to go sleep on an aircraft carrier and have an overweight SESL yell at you to pick up trash at 0600?"
OCS Ensign: Can I polish my black boots and hold DIVO quarters?"
Navy: "You most certainly can!"

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This A-Pool thing bothers me in a minor way. For god’s sake, send them to a boat or a squadron where they can at least get a feel for the navy. Make them work for that check.
Eh. I'll submit that there's probably value in PERS or CNATRA spending some of their budget getting some Lean experts to value stream map the pipeline between commissioning and showing up in a fleet squadron, then do a series of problem-solving workshops Ishikawa diagramming the bottlenecks and doing some good old-fashioned root cause analysis. If Toyota can use it for cars and the software industry can use it for code, Navy Air can use it for FNGs.

That said, I'm also not enough of a fucking blackshoe to say that we need to yoink a good deal away from the kids in Pensacola. Big Navy will cause enough pain and suffering later; why not let them enjoy life for a bit first?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Eh. I'll submit that there's probably value in PERS or CNATRA spending some of their budget getting some Lean experts to value stream map the pipeline between commissioning and showing up in a fleet squadron, then do a series of problem-solving workshops Ishikawa diagramming the bottlenecks and doing some good old-fashioned root cause analysis. If Toyota can use it for cars and the software industry can use it for code, Navy Air can use it for FNGs.

That said, I'm also not enough of a fucking blackshoe to say that we need to yoink a good deal away from the kids in Pensacola. Big Navy will cause enough pain and suffering later; why not let them enjoy life for a bit first?
Fair enough, but you don’t gotta be a Lean Six Sigma black belt to recognize that giving a 22 year old a paycheck with no responsibility attached is a recipe for the occasional negative headline.

exNavyOffRec

Fair enough, but you don’t gotta be a Lean Six Sigma black belt to recognize that giving a 22 year old a paycheck with no responsibility attached is a recipe for the occasional negative headline.
That applies quite well to young enlisted also, age range would be just a bit lower.

Young officers will do pretty much the same things as young enlisted, just at a much lower rate.