• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Pay... WTF?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
E-4's and below with kiddos qualify food stamps and risk their asses on flight decks day and night...

I really hate to threadjack a little bit but I am a little tired of this argument. If some E-3 has got 3 or 4 kids at home and needs food stamps I think it is a little bit bigger than the military's fault. We have to take into account some personal responsibility, like don't have more kids than you can afford!

And I saw more than one sailor with multiple mouths to feed at home whine about how little they were paid a night after they blew $500+ on partying/Russian hookers in Bahrain or Roppongi. Priorities people!

H60Gunner

Contributor
...blew $500+ on partying/Russian hookers in Bahrain or Roppongi. Priorities people!

500 bucks on hookers and beer in Roppingi and/or Bahrain? Sheeeet, that's way more than I "heard people" spent. Not that I would ever partake in such activities...

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
.....Roppongi.....
Ahhhh.....(memories) now that's a threadjack waiting to happen. :D Next thread........sea stories. Patio Beach, Orchard Towers, Roppongi, Clarke Quay, Perth, this could go on for days. :icon_smil

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
We got @ $125 in flight skins a month -- and had to fly to get it -- and we deserved every penny.

But if it had been "ZERO" ... we would have flown just as hard if you'd give us an airplane.

I think it went up to @ $150/mo prior to my closing it out .... if you're doin' it for the money, the airlines paid better. :)

Once again, A4s takes it.

Nobody here has mentioned that ACIP is extra money we get just for doing our jobs. Jobs we volunteered for and, as any quick perusal of the wanna be threads here shows, MANY are willing to do.

The Italian pilot in my winging class doesn't get ACIP. Completely foreign concept to him. The conversation, as I recall, went something like this:

In thick Italian accent: "You guys get paid extra to fly?"
"Yes, it's called FLT PAY."
"But you're pilots."
"Yep."
"I was born in the wrong country. . ."

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We'll get Flight Pay adjusted right after we get our BAS adjusted. :D :D :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I don't do it for the flight pay. I do it for Friday afternoons in the squadron bar with my brothers.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
We'll get Flight Pay adjusted right after we get our BAS adjusted. :D :D :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

That's the real disparity.

Flight pay isn't linked to any standard of living, inflation or index. It's not money for food, housing, etc. It's just extra money.

BAS IS money for food. However, the Navy standardized all shipboard meal prices (and menus) at a rate greater than BAS, getting rid of the actual Wardroom mess.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
BAS on the boat is another travesty... Mess dues more than BAS??? P-3 dudes with per-diem coming out the yin yang (not to mention wives on "deployment")? Food stamps for (even semi irresponsible) service members? NROTC kids getting bumps when Aviators don't?? This shit needs to be addressed.

If fixing this shit keeps one good dude in, it might be worth it.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
How about BAH?

Kingsville, TX O2 with no dependents - $1125. Average house price in Kingsville - 84,900

Whidbey, WA BAH - $948 Average house price in Oak Harbor - $289,000 Anacortes - 425,000.

I know its supposed to be off of rental prices and not house prices, but we had a hell of a time finding a house with a rent under $1500

red_ryder

None
once again, a4s takes it.

Nobody here has mentioned that acip is extra money we get just for doing our jobs. Jobs we volunteered for and, as any quick perusal of the wanna be threads here shows, many are willing to do.

The italian pilot in my winging class doesn't get acip. Completely foreign concept to him. The conversation, as i recall, went something like this:

In thick italian accent: "you guys get paid extra to fly?"
"yes, it's called flt pay."
"but you're pilots."
"yep."
"i was born in the wrong country. . ."
+1

Fred

BAS on the boat is another travesty... Mess dues more than BAS??? P-3 dudes with per-diem coming out the yin yang (not to mention wives on "deployment")? Food stamps for (even semi irresponsible) service members? NROTC kids getting bumps when Aviators don't?? This shit needs to be addressed.

Less than ½ of 1% of military members qualify for food stamps, those that do are low ranking and have several kids. The military also has a program in place to boost their income enough (free money) so they don’t need them.

If you really can’t afford an extra $50-$100/mo to pay for your mess bills above BAS....take a financial management class, they are offered free at most bases. Do you complain if you spend more than $200/mo on food for yourself when not deployed?

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure flight pay used to max out around $600/mo and now goes up to $840, even when in a non-flying status. Then you have CAG’s and Carrier CO’s who due to their years of aviation service are getting $250/flt pay....and are thrilled just to be flying.

If a “good dude” leaves because he doesn’t think the Navy pays enough flight pay, or because he had to pay a few extra dollars for his mess bill, or beause he's jealous of P3's per diem.....that may be for the best.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
If you really can’t afford an extra $50-$100/mo to pay for your mess bills above BAS....take a financial management class, they are offered free at most bases. Do you complain if you spend more than $200/mo on food for yourself when not deployed?

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure flight pay used to max out around $600/mo and now goes up to $840, even when in a non-flying status. Then you have CAG’s and Carrier CO’s who due to their years of aviation service are getting $250/flt pay....and are thrilled just to be flying.

If a “good dude” leaves because he doesn’t think the Navy pays enough flight pay, or because he had to pay a few extra dollars for his mess bill, or beause he's jealous of P3's per diem.....that may be for the best.
Fred, how about a bio update so I we know who we are debating? Do you need some wings?

Vapes, you hit the nail on the head. It irritates the shit out of me when our enlisted lose Comrats because they eat on the boat. It irritates me even more when P-3 dudes get per-diem for "deployment". That is money that should be paying our enlisted for working on the flight deck....even though some of them do not get flight deck pay. But Fred, what the hell, it is just their job right? To all who think we are being all whiney about flight pay, you really need to look at the other warfare areas and the pays they receive. Scuba pay, parachute pay, submarine pay, medical officer incentive pays. You are getting paid for a specialty. It is part of how the service works. SRB's are not flat rate but paid according to rate. So, if you are going to debate this one with the fleet bubbas, shut up until you get some fleet experience and actually earn your flight pay around the boat.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It irritates me even more when P-3 dudes get per-diem for "deployment". That is money that should be paying our enlisted for working on the flight deck.....

Do I really have to say it? Quit your bitchin'!

Different pots of money, different purposes and well, choose your fate.....

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Do I really have to say it? Quit your bitchin'!

Different pots of money, different purposes and well, choose your fate.....
Different pots of money my ass! In times of bailout, fiscally responsible accounting can make it happen. Explain to me why P-3 guys deployed to military bases should get per-diem. Maybe guys on IA's should get per-diem....even if it is $3 a day in Kandahar.

Fred

Fred, how about a bio update so I we know who we are debating? Do you need some wings?

But Fred, what the hell, it is just their job right? To all who think we are being all whiney about flight pay, you really need to look at the other warfare areas and the pays they receive. Scuba pay, parachute pay, submarine pay, medical officer incentive pays. You are getting paid for a specialty. It is part of how the service works. SRB's are not flat rate but paid according to rate. So, if you are going to debate this one with the fleet bubbas, shut up until you get some fleet experience and actually earn your flight pay around the boat.

No wings for me, thanks. I’ll never have fleet experience or earn flight pay around the boat. (Though I have been lucky enough to COD on a couple of times) It doesn’t change my opinion, and I don’t require wings or fleet experience to have one. I feel if people choose to get out because flight pay didn’t keep up with inflation, or they don’t want to pay above BAS for a mess bill, or any other plethora of similar reasons... it’s probably not a big loss to the Navy.

I spent Saturday night listening to a bunch of JO’s whine about the most asinine things. The entitlement attitude so many seem to have these days is mind boggling.

As for mess bills.... get together with the supply officers/tenant command reps, and see if they can offer cheaper food. The menu is what sets the price.