• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flight Pay... WTF?

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Its pretty cool to get the 3.4% basic pay increase on the first of Jan... but I looked back to flight pay and got pissed.. here's the website: http://www.dfas.mil/militarypay/2006militarypaytables/militarypaypriorrates.html

Quick calculation in $ yields: (used over 6 year gate)
$650.00 in 1987 dollars is $1171.73 today (what they would have to pay you to match inflation 87-now).

With $650.00 1987 dollars you can buy $357.79 worth of crap today...

Seems flight pay would bump up in 20 years???Time to write a letter??? :confused:

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Terrible, personal tragedy. Back in the the 60's, we had to fly NLT 4 hrs per month to get our $110 Flight Pay - and we thought that was a big deal!

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
$110 in 1960 would be $762 today... for 4 hours a month... tragedy?
Sincere thanks for winning the Cold War, but calculator wins here Fog.

I knew the "olden times" counter-argument would come up, had one in the chamber. Up hill both ways through 40 feet of snow, carrying your fat little brother with no shoes on... I know... tragedy?

Honestly, you guys back then had bigger balls than (us?)kids do today, you recieved little/no thanks and got paid squat to do it ... my hats off.

Right is right. Giving someone $360 today for something they got $650 for last week wouldn't ever fly. GIMME A BAILOUT!

The NROTC stipends went up, why not flight pay?

Clux4

Banned
It's a budget issue; they will raise flight pay if they think they need to to keep people from getting out. Until then (from their perspective) there isn't a need for that.

AAhhh!! You took the words out of my mouth. It is not as if the airline industry is doing great. With the bad economy, alot of people are rethinking their move. I doubt it will go up.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
E-4's and below with kiddos qualify food stamps and risk their asses on flight decks day and night... honestly I know they take priority, but stuff like this is a failure of oversight in doing things right. Not many are in it for the money, all the more reason to take care of folks.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
It's a budget issue; they will raise flight pay if they think they need to to keep people from getting out. Until then (from their perspective) there isn't a need for that.

The way it has been explained to me is that flight pay is not supposed to keep people in, but to pay them for the increased danger involved in being an aviator (or aircrew). Thats the reason it starts small and increases when you should be doing the most flying, and then tapers off when you will be leaving the cockpit. If it was just to keep people from jumping ship for the airlines then they wouldn't start giving flight pay until 8 years after wings. Thats what the bonus is for.

Old guys correct me if I'm wrong here, but I've heard this several times from the O-6 level.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Fiduciary kung fu masta eh? Sage advice and a very thought provoking reply Red... Great leadership philosophy...

Hope your other posts are just as insightful.

More time on salt water shitter..nah
More time in Marshal...nah
More time "sucking it up"..nah..

never mind, I won't go there... someone will walk away hurt and angry.

exhelodrvr

pilot
The way it has been explained to me is that flight pay is not supposed to keep people in, but to pay them for the increased danger involved in being an aviator (or aircrew). Thats the reason it starts small and increases when you should be doing the most flying, and then tapers off when you will be leaving the cockpit. If it was just to keep people from jumping ship for the airlines then they wouldn't start giving flight pay until 8 years after wings. Thats what the bonus is for.

Old guys correct me if I'm wrong here, but I've heard this several times from the O-6 level.

That is what they say, but in reality it is part of the way to pay people enough to keep them in.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
$110 in 1960 would be $762 today... for 4 hours a month... tragedy?
Sincere thanks for winning the Cold War, but calculator wins here Fog.

MV:
Sorry, Dude, but I have to ask you to prove that the COL or inflation has gone up 7 times in the past 40 years. In simple arithmetic terms, that's more than 7% per year. That doesn't compute.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

I didn't write the code for program...

Although there are a few ways to work the problem, this utilizes the CPI (Consumer Price Index), one of a few inflationary models. There are many calculators out there, the CPI is not linear, thus the 7% seems out of whack at first... You'll likely find other calculators that provide less derisive numbers, but no bump is still AFU (along with many other things in the world).

Me no statistician though. Me aviation ditch digger.

Good luck red... you'll need it. (Although many prob. said the same of me at your tender age...)

Don't troll spray me please mods. bwah!