• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

P3 F0

None
He's already commissioned. Figure 6 months, at most, to get orders, another six, at worst, to get through the pool, a year and a half to get wings... that puts him right at 2012 at what I'm guessing is about the slowest possible pace. So, if everything stays on schedule for the P-8 production and delivery, and if the stars align, maybe he'll see it. He'll certainly see it once he's out and about in whatever community he winds up in, if it's not VP.

And torpedo is correct; your clearance will have zero impact on anything.

Loco

Thanks for the information. I really want to go P-3 or EP-3 and just want to make sure that if I do actually get either community, that it will transition to the P-8A and won't be turned into a SWO or something. :icon_mi_1
There isn't much information to be gathered at my unit, they are all sworriors and keep telling me that I'm not a future SNFO, I'm just a delayed entry SWO, ha!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the information. I really want to go P-3 or EP-3 and just want to make sure that if I do actually get either community, that it will transition to the P-8A and won't be turned into a SWO or something. :icon_mi_1
There isn't much information to be gathered at my unit, they are all sworriors and keep telling me that I'm not a future SNFO, I'm just a delayed entry SWO, ha!

I hope the swotards aren't serious. Once you get your wings, you'll keep flying unless stripped of wings by a FNAEB. Might not necessarily be the plane you want, but they'll find a place for you. And that's mostly a problem for guys whose planes go away without a replacement (e.g., S-3's), not communities picking up new planes.

Lou

pilot
As they bring the P-8 on-line, it will be roughly a squadron a year starting ~2013. The P-3's won't simple vanish in 2013. They will slowly phase out until sometime 2018 or so. If DH screens continue, it'll get real competitive as the last of the P-3s flow out and the P-8s grow. I don't think it is a one for one swap with the squadrons. I heard that the total # of P-8 squadrons will be 8 or 9. I may be wrong, but I am fairly certain it won't be 12.

Okay, corny old guy line..."Don't wait for a good job to do a good job!" For guys who are starting soon, you'll have to do well as a P-3 guy to make sure you can transition. But most importantly, take care of business that is now...don't keep sweating 3,4 years down the road. No one wants to hear you talk about your plans for when you are an instructor when you haven't passed your 2P board! One step at a time, and you'll do fine. I will now relinquish the soap box.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Re P-8A (fact-check me, somebody)

This is the 1st fixed-wing airframe since the KC-135 (executive transports w/ military designations don't count) that Boeing [M-D derived doesn't count, either] has delivered to the U.S. military.

Although there are a lot of military airframes now being built by Boeing (F-15, F-18, C-17, KC-10 etc.), they were all McDonnell-Douglas programs that Boeing acquired when they bought M-D in the late 90's. Boeing itself has really done little in original-build military airframes in the last 40 years. They were due.

Fog

None
Contributor
E-3A/B, you're right on. Thanks. Although after my time, weren't the E-6s really old 707 airframes up-dated to & adapted for the TACAMO mission? Sorta counts, sorta doesn't, IMO.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
I just did watch all week at the CNATRA building and the Assistant Chief of Staff who does a lot with selections said they will start officially selecting for the P-8A FY 2013. In other similar news, selections for the F-35 will start FY 2011 for the Marines and the Navy sometime shortly after. The first to fly the F-35 will be transitioned hornet guys.

For anybody who wanted to know.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The E-6's, RAF E-3D's and French E-3F's were the last 707's off the production line.

Fog

None
Contributor
I stand corrected again. I thought the E-6 airframes were used 707's (like J-Stars a/c), but I now understand they were new-builds using the last 707s built by Boeing. Thanks.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I stand corrected again. I thought the E-6 airframes were used 707's (like J-Stars a/c), but I now understand they were new-builds using the last 707s built by Boeing. Thanks.

They came down to Nav school when I was there and did a real sales pitch to come joing them in OK City, the aircraft remain the nicest/cleanest/newest Navy aircraft I have seen in person. I was tempted, for about 2 seconds, then qucikly came back to my senses :D.