• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Don't be surprised to see a contract with Flight Safety or an Airline with an extensive 737 training program. It's entirely possible to do all the training in a Level D sim. USAF does it.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Don't be surprised to see a contract with Flight Safety or an Airline with an extensive 737 training program. It's entirely possible to do all the training in a Level D sim. USAF does it.

Yet another reason we aren't the USAF.

I really can't see it happening. Seems like there has been quite alot of resistance and teeth grinding about eliminating syllabus flights here at -30 for the Level D's. I can certainly see many reduced flight events, but I gotta throw the BS flag on an all Level D syllabus.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Why? It's SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper and the training isn't exactly low quality. Most airline pilots never touch the model jet the fly, until it's got 200 passengers in the back. Everything is level D up to that point. There are no FAM flights or Touch and Go hops. Granted I don't know anything about the "tactical" flying, so I could see doing that stuff in the jet, but as much as everyone kicks and screams, the all mighty dollar will prevail.

The downward spiral to Air Forceism is already underway. It's creeping it's head up everywhere. It's like playing whack-a-mole.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that its not cheaper, or that it makes no sense. It does in some ways...but I just have a hard time seeing it happen.

Whack-a-mole....hillarious.:D

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Just to be clear, I'm not saying that its not cheaper, or that it makes no sense. It does in some ways...but I just have a hard time seeing it happen.

Whack-a-mole....hillarious.:D

Yeah, 10 years ago the idea of UAV's around the boat was probably pretty far fetched. Just sit back and watch.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Someone tell me about what percent of syllabus flight time that would be.
"Tactical" and VP..:D...FL300 J172 to the buoy pattern?.....0% They will be about as tactical as a JSTARS.....the Diet Coke of tactical, just 1 calorie, not tactical enough.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
For the basic flight training at VP-30 you'd not need to fly in the real plane. I will contest, however, that the need to fly at 200' over the water cannot be accurately simulated. The P-8 will still drop low and there is pucker factor in having that big of a plane that close to the water - you can't simulate that.

I've never flown the Level-D sim, but i hear nothing but good things about it. No sim can truly replicate the knot in your stomach as you do something that can get a lot of people killed.

Also, i doubt that the T-44/TC-12 will go away. The point of that training is how to fly a plane with asymmetric thrust and to become a badass instrument pilot. The T-44 and TC-12 are both very good for that training.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
"Tactical" and VP..:D...FL300 J172 to the buoy pattern?.....0% They will be about as tactical as a JSTARS.....the Diet Coke of tactical, just 1 calorie, not tactical enough.
I tracked many Ruskie boomers from above FL200.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I've played with the level D, the only complaint I had was that the flair picture and feel weren't the same. Other than that I thought they were pretty good. If anything the training was unrealistic just because everything worked in the sim, unlike the real bird.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never flown the Level-D sim, but i hear nothing but good things about it. No sim can truly replicate the knot in your stomach as you do something that can get a lot of people killed.
Our MD80 level D sims actually have a CV in them, lens and everything. Don't ask me why. This NFO successfully landed a 120K pound MD80 on that CV with 40 knots over the deck and max auto brakes. Now that wasn't on the angle. I had to run the length of the deck to have a chance. First pass I lined up with the angle out of habit with the non Navy instructor insisting I had to come right for line up. I didn't know he wanted me to run the deck. It was a pretty touch and go though. I have never looked at the dimensions to see if the wing tip would actually clear the island, but the sim didn't crash. As to the knot in your stomach, can you imagine how you would feel trying a stunt like that with 140 peeps on board?

gaetabob

pilot
Haha. I'm curious, for those going P8s, will they still be flying the T-44/TC-12B or would they go to something like the T1?

by the time the P-8 comes online, it'd only be the T-44's...word on the street here at -35 is that the Navy's getting rid of the TC-12's by 2012 due to maintenance costs...
...unless we get the P-8 sooner than expected. Anyone heard news on that?

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Our MD80 level D sims actually have a CV in them, lens and everything. Don't ask me why. This NFO successfully landed a 120K pound MD80 on that CV with 40 knots over the deck and max auto brakes. Now that wasn't on the angle. I had to run the length of the deck to have a chance. First pass I lined up with the angle out of habit with the non Navy instructor insisting I had to come right for line up. I didn't know he wanted me to run the deck. It was a pretty touch and go though. I have never looked at the dimensions to see if the wing tip would actually clear the island, but the sim didn't crash. As to the knot in your stomach, can you imagine how you would feel trying a stunt like that with 140 peeps on board?

I've landed two C-5s on the Carrier at the Museum simulator. One on the angle, one on the bow. The sim actually showed them parked there side-by-side with their wings crossed in the middle.