• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
-46, sorry, my bad.
I got a chuckle out of this, seeing as how I just got done working with the sub bubbas... but, talk about a SERIOUS upgrade, I would LOVE to carry a MK48 ADCAP in the bomb bay!!! But, for some reason, I don't think my ramp weight or CG would go for that, even if it could fit :( But, I guess that the MK54 is the "best" of both worlds :D

chrispaul

NFO
None
Yes, a Mk-48 would pose some problems. Perhaps a new external centerline pylon station for the P-8 is in order?

STLEngineer

pilot
Wow, I just looked up the MK-48... that's a big torpedo.

But the P-8 is designed to carry some pretty big stuff. Not that big (3400+ lbs), but that sure would be a sight. Imagine carrying 2 of those things under each wing!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Wow, I just looked up the MK-48... that's a big torpedo....... Not that big (3400+ lbs), but that sure would be a sight. Imagine carrying 2 of those things under each wing!
Imagine ... the drag count, the ordies cussing trying to upload the damn things, that much otto fuel sloshing about, and of course, the surprised submarine CO when that big MF torpedo dropped in the water with them (can you say, You are about to have a really bad day?)...

Oh well, that's what multiple MK46/50/54s are for.

But the P-8 is designed to carry some pretty big stuff.
Yeah, our per diem.. but seriously, more room for the crew to carry more **** onto and off deployment. So, how many rugs do you think we can fit in the bomb bay? Um, I don't know, lets just keep packing them in, and lashing them to the luggage rack and find out.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Imagine ... the drag count, the ordies cussing trying to upload the damn things, that much otto fuel sloshing about, and of course, the surprised submarine CO when that big MF torpedo dropped in the water with them (can you say, You are about to have a really bad day?)...

Oh well, that's what multiple MK46/50/54s are for.

Yeah, our per diem.. but seriously, more room for the crew to carry more **** onto and off deployment. So, how many rugs do you think we can fit in the bomb bay? Um, I don't know, lets just keep packing them in, and lashing them to the luggage rack and find out.

Damn, ASW sounds like fun.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Damn, ASW sounds like fun.
Contrary to the ever popular tacair discussions we have on here... the coordops ASW and ASuW between warships, SSNs, Helos, MPRA and (shock) Hawkeye2000 is definitely interesting. While many times MPRA operates "alone and unafraid", the other end of the spectrum can have us up close to the CSG covering the PIM and limiting lines, all down low and beneath the concern of those worrying about their fuel states while marshalling. :D Most definitely a "team effort", when you have varying aircraft and ships with different strengths and weaknesses in the acoustic and non-acoustic regimes, not to mention utilizing those same units to their best advantage.

It is most definitely a different problem set, that many of us on here have spent quite a lot of time training to fight, and I don't think the pointy nosed bubbas would be too happy with us if we let their flat top parking spot get shot out from under them. But I guess from some comments in this thread, our community and mission "aren't worth the money" of a new platform. Ha, tell that to the SFASWC and TASWC, and see what response you get. Nowadays it usually is *****ing and moaning about not getting ENOUGH ASW coverage from not only MPRA but helos as well.... my friends, ASW is a vital role, and isn't going away, but as said before, the communities will change and adapt to the environment and threats as appropriate.

John

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Contrary to the ever popular tacair discussions we have on here... the coordops ASW and ASuW between warships, SSNs, Helos, MPRA and (shock) Hawkeye2000 is definitely interesting. While many times MPRA operates "alone and unafraid", the other end of the spectrum can have us up close to the CSG covering the PIM and limiting lines, all down low and beneath the concern of those worrying about their fuel states while marshalling. :D Most definitely a "team effort", when you have varying aircraft and ships with different strengths and weaknesses in the acoustic and non-acoustic regimes, not to mention utilizing those same units to their best advantage.

John

Uh, can someone simplify that, for the unwashed? I have little to no idea what was just said. :confused:

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Uh, can someone simplify that, for the unwashed? I have little to no idea what was just said. :confused:
Aircraft and destroyers/frigates defend the carrier against both surface and subsurface threats so tacair can do their mission.