• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select!!

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I guess I will have to get a rand mcnally. Thanks. Anyone have an idea how long of a drive it is from California to R.I.??

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I will have to get a rand mcnally. Thanks. Anyone have an idea how long of a drive it is from California to R.I.??

If you don't have a personal GPS system or phone w/GPS option, Google has a great feature called Google Maps, perhaps you've heard of it??? ;)

badger16

None
Get a trucking road atlas. They put the exit number and mile markers on them. WAY better then any other road maps. Being the son of a truck driver i've used both "road maps" and "truker maps" and I can tell you I would never use anything but the latter. They are a little bit more expensive but worth it.

skim

None
Contributor
I will be getting a GPS to use, plus a map as a backup. I was thinking of leaving the monday before I report. Does that seem like enough time to get there?

MasterBates

GPS to go across the country? Get on an even numbered Interstate, go east. Get to I-95, go north. (south if on I-90).

Get off on RI-138 in RI, take to Newport. Follow signs.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
GPS to go across the country? Get on an even numbered Interstate, go east. Get to I-95, go north. (south if on I-90).

Get off on RI-138 in RI, take to Newport. Follow signs.

But GPS gives you much more than the route; I use mine all the time for route info like fuel stops and where to eat or find places of interest along the way. Even on short trips, it's pretty good on updating ETA. Definitely easy to become a GPS cripple.

BackOrdered

Contributor
A map doesn't tell you how safe a route is either.

Yeah, but with a map if you don't like it, you can try another route on the map. My Garmin nuvi 200 just gives directions and a visual of your immediate area, not much else.

But GPS gives you much more than the route; I use mine all the time for route info like fuel stops and where to eat or find places of interest along the way. Even on short trips, it's pretty good on updating ETA. Definitely easy to become a GPS cripple.

I will concur with this though.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can't reroute on your GPS?

I also use a Garmin Nuvi and it does allow you to reroute or zoom out and check out alternate routing. I also like the choice of American, British or Australian female voices...."Karen" is my favorite.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I also use a Garmin Nuvi and it does allow you to reroute or zoom out and check out alternate routing. I also like the choice of American, British or Australian female voices...."Karen" is my favorite.

Time to read my manual again.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Manual? Who has time for that? More fun to play around and stumble upon features.

I use to work at a RadioShack, so, force of habit.

True story:

Guy walks in with an alarm clock irate at me that I sold him a bum clock. He said it is stuck at 12:00am and Saturday. I study the clock, look at the man, look at the clock, look at the man, look at the clock, and look at the man again mentally wanting to blow my brains out. The display decals on the clock reading 12:00am and saturday were still on it.

skim

None
Contributor
Thats funny. Yeah, I know how to use maps, but I like the idea of the re-route as well as nearest gas stations and hotels etc. Plus, sometimes I like hearing the commanding voice of a woman:D