• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
Wow, these are hella scary stories. I was lucky I guess. I was pro-rec'd April boards and sworn in June 15 with FS letter and orders in hand.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
I went to MEPS beforehand, had a flight physical already done with the USMC and a PRT that I submitted as well.

Archanan7

Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi
So I was hoping to have to avoid this forum, but I think I am officially stuck in this purgatory -- pro rec'ed SNA in April boards, been struggling to get medically cleared. I was previously through MEPS but there were issues with paperwork and medical records on a previous USMC app, so now trying to get everything re-reviewed and passed through for the Navy's branch. They're still probably going to want to giev me a pulmonary exam as I had childhood asthmatic symptoms which I have since grown out of...currently have no medical insurance plan so I need to wait for the military to set something up, which they are supposedly working on. Hoping for the best, trying to stay motivated...ialready got an extension on the pro rec, but it would suck to lose the slot overall because I got medically rejected.

Then again that pilot on Speed & Angels got shot in the face and they let him fly, so maybe it really is true that if you are persistent you can make it happen. Staying motivated...

Hey, bro I was in the same category with the asthma/pilot issue and now roughly a year later I'm moving thru API in pensacola. If your navy you'll have to go thru a bitch of a test to get a waiver for it but it is certainly doable if you want it bad enough. Forget the terminology exactly but you have to pass two breathing challenges. One was called a methecoline? (sp?) challenge. The docs at OCS will send you to the hospital to do it. Try your best to do it early on or even get it done prior to going. At OCS EVERYONE (no exceptions) gets sick, especially with bronchitis in the winter (which screws your breathing challenge straight to hell.) So make sure your lungs are gtg for that.

Also if you are failing you PFA prior to leaving for OCS you need to work your ASS off to a ridiculous level if you plan on surviving OCS. Even people who rocked the PFA were struggling day to day at times. The fact you want to be an officer and can't pass a bloody walk in the park PT test is ridiculous. (God help you if you are a SNA pro-rec who fails PT tests. Thats just disturbing.)

AGonxAV8R

HAMPS
pilot
What if you don't pass the PFT? Is your pro rec rejected? Or do you retry until you pass?

You can not seriously be asking this question.....! If you arent in shape to put out at least 50 PU / 70 SU / run 1.5 Miles under 12 min, you might have to reconsider going to OCS....

It was the 'Don't Go to MEPS Then Take the PRT Right After Because You Will Be Dehydrated, Have No Rest, and That Sandwich They Give Out Won't Agree with Your Stomach' plan. At the time I wasn't working, so instead of sitting at home watching baseball I worked out and ran constantly. Eating right and staying hydrated also helps.

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Has anyone had any experience with injuries post FS letter? One of my concerns is getting hurt while waiting to class up and losing my freakin slot:icon_rage

beaverslayer

pilot
Yeah my recruiter gave me a lecture after I swore in about taking care of myself and making sure I don't get hurt... no skydiving, bungee jumping, etc. We just have to be careful I guess! An injury between FS and OCS would really really suck.

beaverslayer

pilot
So I wrote to my processor and asked him about my FS letter, and he immediately sent me a PDF file of the letter! The thing was dated 24 July '09. I mean really? My processor is a great guy, and he has done really good work on my behalf, but that letter would have been nice to have, oh I don't know, a YEAR AGO. At any rate, I guess this puts me out of the FS purgatory. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
ROFL! Good thing you decided to contact him now and not in Sept. Mighta caused a few headaches for all involved. Good luck!