• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fight's On! The origins of TOPGUN and dogfights back in the day/future prospects

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Do you REALLY THINK that he thought this stuff out ... ???

He was an idiot. He was a plumber. He's dead.

The pity is, he took some 'better men' w/ him ...
You are correct! If he would have thought about it for one second he wouldn't have even tried this stuff and he and his crew might be alive today.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Had a guy in my class who didn't have the grades for a fleet seat when winged, and was stashed somewhere for a couple of years. He was really bitter about it, always thinking he was the ace of the base.

When he finally got to the fleet, he really made a name for himself – by doing a low transition on take-off, and then settling back down on the runway in a big fireball. It didn't surprise a lot of people.

I don't understand. How would stashing him somewhere for a couple years help him any? If he wasn't qualified at that moment, why would he be two years later? Was he given a second chance or something?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I don't understand. How would stashing him somewhere for a couple years help him any?....
It doesn't 'help him' necessarily ... it's just the NAVY's way of burying their dead-men-walking while they're still breathing w/out declairing 'em .... 'dead'. It's a way to make up for piss-poor personnel procurement procedures ... that's '5 P's' ...

Some can/do 'rise from the dead' after 'stash' ... can you say: thank you, Jesus (?) ... :):confused::sleep_125

IF you could 'choose' your future in the USN ... it would NOT include 'stash'.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
IF you could 'choose' your future in the USN ... it would NOT include 'stash'.

Though it SHOULD include stache
hoser1.jpg

(if you can get past looking at that sexy beast of a jet behind him anyway)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Though it SHOULD include stache
hoser1.jpg

(if you can get past looking at that sexy beast of a jet behind him anyway)
OK. Who is that stached man? Looks familiar. But I can't help looking away and being distracted by your avatar. :eek:

Looks about right for the timeframe. Standard stash. Uncovered pen pocket. Old style carabiner.

But what's with the lightweight survival vest? Only a PRC pocket and a K-bar? While there might be more behind, it's still pretty sparse for 150 missions. Where's the water? Where's the sidearms? Where are all the survival package goodies? And shined boot in combat? C'mon! And why do the ankles shine? Leggens? Or zippers, probably. Sheesh.

But the beast behind him .....always was sexy.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
if you can get past looking at that sexy beast of a jet behind him anyway

Here's a shot of a Vigi without distraction of Hoser

March2009008.jpg

HJ Photo

As to Hoser, I found this on the web recently:

Naval Academy Yearbook said:
JOSEPH FRANK SATRAPA
Joe
12th Company
Joe was born in Glendale, California and moved to Tujunga, California where he attended school. During high school, he participated in Track, Swimming and Football. After graduating from high school and attending Glendale College for a year and a half, Joe came East to the Academy. Since coming to Navy, Joe has found that he can not spend as much time at parties and with the women, because of his necessary devotion to academics. Joe is very athletic and enjoys participating in sports. After graduation, he plans attending Flight School at Pensacola, since this has been his goal all through school.

His answer to my question about having to devote so much time to academics (he struggled with demerits and grades so he decided to be Anchorman to get the cash prize):

Hoser said:
I ain't like that no more! D-Hose

sfdistance

G Limits, how much G is enough: 7.5 or 9G capability?

On another note, out of curiousity, why are the latest carrier borne fighters not built for 9G turns. I understand that its not usually a capability that would be tactically useful since it bleeds energy so quickly, but it seems like something that might come in handy in certain situations like an evasive maneuver. Again it seems like the Air Force puts some value on this capability since the F-15, 16, and 22 are all stressed for 9G, and the CTOL F-35 apparently is too, while the CVN and STOVL F-35, as well as super hornets and legacy hornets are all limited in the 7-7.5G range. Is this a result of the Navy trying to extend the service life of its aircraft by shrinking the envelope artificially in the flight control computers? Or maybe it has to do with cutting weight in some areas that allows for the added weight necessary in others (i.e landing gear)? Just curious if anyone has insight on this. Also I've heard that hornets have a button on the stick that allows the pilot to tell the computer to max out the jet at 9 instead of 7.5, for emergencies. Anyone know if that is true? (If this is another OPSEC thing than nevermind)

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
On another note, out of curiousity, why are the latest carrier borne fighters not built for 9G turns. I understand that its not usually a capability that would be tactically useful since it bleeds energy so quickly, but it seems like something that might come in handy in certain situations like an evasive maneuver. Again it seems like the Air Force puts some value on this capability since the F-15, 16, and 22 are all stressed for 9G, and the CTOL F-35 apparently is too, while the CVN and STOVL F-35, as well as super hornets and legacy hornets are all limited in the 7-7.5G range. Is this a result of the Navy trying to extend the service life of its aircraft by shrinking the envelope artificially in the flight control computers? Or maybe it has to do with cutting weight in some areas that allows for the added weight necessary in others (i.e landing gear)? Just curious if anyone has insight on this. Also I've heard that hornets have a button on the stick that allows the pilot to tell the computer to max out the jet at 9 instead of 7.5, for emergencies. Anyone know if that is true? (If this is another OPSEC thing than nevermind)

I don't know about the F-35 but as for the rest, it's actually a physiological reason for the limitation. All about the human body. The F-18 seats are more vertical than the air force seats. The air force seats lean back a little more. The angle difference allows them to pull more overall G's. Physically speaking the equivalent stress on the human body is the same due to the geometry. Why they designed it like that I can't tell you, but that's one of the main reasons for max G.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The air force seats lean back a little more. The angle difference allows them to pull more overall G's.

The was designed with a sidestick controlller and an ejection seat tilted back at 30° whereas other fighter aircraft vary from 13° to 20°. Phsyiologists I've talked to say you need an event greater tilt angle to really reap benefit. Perhaps that is way other aircraft haven't introduced the same angle. I've bummed some F-16N rides and found it comfortable, but harder to lead forward and look in the rear quadrant (and take pictures!). 9Gs is no sweat in a F-16, but you better be ready with your grunt or you'll see (actually you'll see nothing but a pinhole of light) onset of G-LOC almost instantly.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
I understand that its not usually a capability that would be tactically useful since it bleeds energy so quickly,

Although not a carrier-borne fighter, the F-16CJ can accelerate at 9G.

It is not, by definition, a load factor that "bleeds energy so quickly."

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I understand that its not usually a capability that would be tactically useful

I'm not a fighter guy, but it seems to me it'd be a very tactically useful capability to have a massive amount of turn rate and be able to just snap your guns onto an opponent. Yeah, a quick bat turn will bleed all your speed, but in a 1v1, the other guy would be dead. Plenty of time to rebuild energy as you head home after that.

yak52driver

Contributor
I don't know about the F-35 but as for the rest, it's actually a physiological reason for the limitation. All about the human body. The F-18 seats are more vertical than the air force seats. The air force seats lean back a little more. The angle difference allows them to pull more overall G's. Physically speaking the equivalent stress on the human body is the same due to the geometry.

I've pulled 7 G's in my Yak 52 sitting pretty much straight up and about 8.5 G's leaned back in an Su-29. I'm told the Su-29 seats lean back about 30 degrees and it was a lot easier to take the G's in that position than sitting straight up. I know the Yak 52 and Su-29 can't maintain the G's like a military fighter, but short duration being tilted back did make a difference on how it felt.