• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fight's On! The origins of TOPGUN and dogfights back in the day/future prospects

yak52driver

Contributor
It's a classic by a great writer...especially the part about the Milk Duds...please note it was a Tomcat ride...not a Blue Angle

Roger that! It had been a couple of years since I'd read it, mistakenly got the F-14 part wrong. I do like the Milk Duds part, too.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We once had a guy pull 12 Gs in the F-4. While the wing fold mechanism was just fine, a number of other things on the aircraft weren't.

jtmedli

pilot
We once had a guy pull 12 Gs in the F-4. While the wing fold mechanism was just fine, a number of other things on the aircraft weren't.

My flight instructors Uncle flew F4's in Vietnam. He once told me a story about them pulling 12G's. Pretty sure he said there was some significant damage and the NFO had to be 'helped' out the jet.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Neither of which have wing folds.
jesus people, if you don?t know, don't pull shit from your ass or regurgitate hand-me-down info without looking it up... you only lose credibility ... nice pic Flash.

The G limits on the Navy/Marine Hornets have nothing to do with seat angles or folding wings...

..and you can overstress a Hornet without overriding the G-limiter ... again, don't comment if you don't know. If you are a handfist, speed dependent, you can beat the Hornets G-limiter and pull more that 7.5 G's.

SF

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My flight instructors Uncle flew F4's in Vietnam. He once told me a story about them pulling 12G's. Pretty sure he said there was some significant damage and the NFO had to be 'helped' out the jet.

My cousin's 1st grade teacher's son's girlfriend's little brother flies Hornets and apparently pulled 14 G's in the break at Lemoore. He broke the wings off and landed with stubs. Though it sounds like 10 G's is an overstress, I'd say this evidence certainly tells us the real load limit of the Hornet :)

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
The "weak link" on most jets are the engine mounts. That's what tends to get hurt when you pull hard.

I've personally pulled 10.2 in the F-15E, and I know of someone who did 12 to keep from hitting the dirt. Both times, the Overload Warning System tripped a category called "Mass Items", which in the Strike Eagle includes the engine mounts. IIRC, the tail booms had to be inspected on my over-G.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
jesus people, if you don?t know, don't pull shit from your ass or regurgitate hand-me-down info without looking it up... you only lose credibility ... nice pic Flash.

The G limits on the Navy/Marine Hornets have nothing to do with seat angles or folding wings...

..and you can overstress a Hornet without overriding the G-limiter ... again, don't comment if you don't know. If you are a handfist, speed dependent, you can beat the Hornets G-limiter and pull more that 7.5 G's.

SF

What? You mean people don't know what they are talking about on the internet!!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
By 'broken' ... do you mean 'hung over' ... ??? :icon_zbee:D;)

As in broke his neck when catapult fired with way too much end speed. Aircraft and RIO were flying again the next day. he was told he couldn't do cats and traps again so he became a career Adversary guy. He's still flying.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
As in broke his neck when catapult fired with way too much end speed. Aircraft and RIO were flying again the next day. he was told he couldn't do cats and traps again so he became a career Adversary guy. He's still flying.

Buckethead?