• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fight's On! The origins of TOPGUN and dogfights back in the day/future prospects

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well, ....back in the day if 'old Smokey' stayed and played with an A-4 or a MiG (given equally talented drivers), old Smokey would get burned.

Likewise, if 'Smokey' extended out away from the fight, a tight-turning A-4/MiG could also wrap it up and get the quick Fox-2.

But for us, a well-flown extension maneuver was the only way to go. And if flown correctly – given the enemy's missiles of the day – it was a somewhat safe maneuver if done well – indeed it was the only maneuver for us, other than a fly-thru against an agressive bandit.....
Totally concur ... *sigh* .... makes me long for the "ol' days" ... when you could count on something being a constant. :)

** double sigh ** ..... Even if only for a time ... :icon_wink

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
If you try to extend/run away from the center of gravity of the turning/in-close/ fight, you're gonna get shot with a missile, either going out or coming back .... period.

As true today as it ever was. If you're extending, you better be running away. Off boresight weapons capabilities today would blow your mind.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As true today as it ever was. If you're extending, you better be running away. Off boresight weapons capabilities today would blow your mind.

With plenty of really good expendables...

HJ (former AIM-9X RO)

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Been trying to get on for about 6 months...couldn't get permission for some reason. Concur with everything A4's has said. Spent my last 14 years flying A-4's, last 10 years as a TAR bouncing back and forth between Dallas and VC-12/VFC-12 at Oceana. (Must have just missed you at Dallas, A4's) Flew the Dallas A-4M's to the boneyard in '94...sad day. Was always fun going against a nugget next-generation fighter-driver who figured he was the next Yeager with the newest and hottest equipment. Debrief was usually humbling for him to learn that experience and savvy, even in old archaic equipment, could beat the latest and greatest when impatience and mistakes prevailed. Satisfying to watch the learning curve grow on subsequent flights though. Yeah, I miss those days also.

clonei09

Great thread! I was wondering why other countries ie, Germany, Japan, Greece, and others still fly the F-4 if it is so outmatched in today's world? I would think that it wouldn't even be worth it to pay for the upkeep and support of the jets if they would just be a certain loss in a modern day fight.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great thread! I was wondering why other countries ie, Germany, Japan, Greece, and others still fly the F-4 if it is so outmatched in today's world? I would think that it wouldn't even be worth it to pay for the upkeep and support of the jets if they would just be a certain loss in a modern day fight.

Countries that can buy latest generation aircraft do so, ones that can't hang on to what they have and upgrade them as best they can. Japan, Germany, Turkey, Iran, S Korea and Israel in particular have operated them for decades and in some cases added significant new capability without having to purchase new airframes to replace them.

Just look at your driveway, can you always afford to but the latest automobile? Many hold onto what they have for decades just like airplanes.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Concur with everything A4's has said. .....
Then you are obviously one of the most accomplished, acute, astute, brainy, bright, clever, discerning, expert, genius-like, gifted, ingenious, intellectual, inventive, all-knowing, all-knowledgeable, masterful, penetrating, powerful, profound, quick-witted, sharp, smart, talented, whiz-kids to ever come along and grace these humble pages .... :)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....I was wondering why other countries ie, Germany, Japan, Greece, and others still fly the F-4....
I would suspect they don't have the political and economic requirements or wherewithal to support the military-industrial complex's procurement boondoggle ... like we do ....

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Mid to late 80's. (perhaps more in recent years, too.)

I heard mention of a tactics change on another thread. It was with respect to European tactics, referring to the fact that they gear some of their training towards extremely low level flight. The thread mentioned that our perspective services, while maintaining these skills, put less emphasis on these low altitude tactics in modern training. Did the shift towards different tactics occur during the same time period (the late 80s)? Were the key factors technology, doctrine, safety or did it involve our increased ability in the EW arena. Do European Air Forces (mainly RAF, France, Germany) do any EW stuff? thanks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard mention of a tactics change on another thread. It was with respect to European tactics, referring to the fact that they gear some of their training towards extremely low level flight. The thread mentioned that our perspective services, while maintaining these skills, put less emphasis on these low altitude tactics in modern training. Did the shift towards different tactics occur during the same time period (the late 80s)? Were the key factors technology, doctrine, safety or did it involve our increased ability in the EW arena. Do European Air Forces (mainly RAF, France, Germany) do any EW stuff? thanks.

Do you realize you are getting very close to asking things that aren't discussed in an open fourm? Only general answers at best can be given. That said, the existing threat and our capability to operate against it drives altitudes. A change in theatre and/or threat could change altitudes used. That happened repeatedly over North Vietnam as technology introduced by either side affected what the opponents did.